Pope Adrian IV

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, March 25, 2010, 11:35:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Adrian_IV

Adrian IV and Ireland
In 1155, Adrian IV granted the Papal Bull 'Laudabiliter', three years after the Synod of Kells in 1152, to the Angevin King Henry II of England. He urged him to invade Ireland to bring its Celtic Christian Church under the Roman system, and conduct general reform of governance and society throughout the island. The authenticity of this grant, the historian Edmund Curtis says, is one of "the great questions of history." He states that the matter was discussed at a Royal Council at Winchester, but that Henry's mother, the Empress Matilda, had protested against it. In Ireland however, nothing seems to have been known of it, and no provision had been made against the prospect of Angevin Norman aggression, despite their westward expansion throughout England and Wales.[12] Ernest F. Henderson states that the existence of this Bull is doubted by many [13] while, in noting that its authenticity has been questioned without success, P. S. O'Hegarty suggests that the question is now purely an academic one. It is notable that decisions of Pope Alexander III, his successor, Lucius III, and King Henry VIII in proclaiming the Crown of Ireland Act 1542 was predicated on this document.[14]
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

ONeill

At last. I've been harping on about this hoor for years. This balax started the whole thing.

Dungbag.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ONeill on March 25, 2010, 11:36:42 PM
At last. I've been harping on about this hoor for years. This balax started the whole thing.

Dungbag.

Of course it was because he was English not because he was Pope that some lads will focus on.

Franko

Blatant shit-stirring.  Boring.  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Franko on March 26, 2010, 12:59:32 AM

Better to be a shit-stitter than a foreign Pope selling Ireland to a foreign Monarch.

thejuice

after all the shite thats been happening perhaps its time we reformed the Celtic Christian Church, we could celebrate mass on Sceilig MhichĂ­l.

Or we could go back to Handfasting and do a bit of the old paganism.  ;)

http://info-wars.org/2010/02/21/pagan-weddings-now-allowed-in-ireland/
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Aerlik

A CoI minister I used to lecture with in Japan, did research into the early Irish Christian church and concluded that we were more closely linked to the Egyptian Coptic Church before the English arrived.
To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

haranguerer

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 26, 2010, 12:37:28 AM

Dungbag.

Of course it was because he was English not because he was Pope that some lads will focus on.

Wtf do you be on about? And you wonder why people 'nit-pick' at your posts?!

Denn Forever

Couldn't remember when the Normans came but remembered that we were sold out.  Damn you Diarmuid McMurrough.

Normans Arrive in Ireland:
On May 1, 1169, the first large group of Norman soldiers landed at Bannow Bay in Co. Wexford. Soon more Norman knights and soldiers joined them. MacMurrough and his army also joined them. They marched to Wexford town. The Vikings who lived there marched out thinking they could defeat Dermot and his army. They were amazed to see how well equipped the Normans were. Within a day Wexford was captured.

In August 1170, Strongbow (Richard de Clare) landed near Waterford with a group of about 1200 Normans (200 knights and 1000 soldiers). They defeated the Vikings and the Irish who lived in Waterford and captured the city. Then Strongbow got married to Aoife, a daughter of Dermot. (Dermot MacMurrough is often known as Diarmuid na nGall). Soon after this MacMurrough and Strongbow captured Dublin City. Dermot MacMurrough died suddenly, in May 1171, and Strongbow became king of Leinster.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: haranguerer on March 26, 2010, 10:17:07 AM

Dungbag.

Play the ball haranguerer not the man.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 26, 2010, 10:31:14 AM
Couldn't remember when the Normans came but remembered that we were sold out.  Damn you Diarmuid McMurrough.

Normans Arrive in Ireland:
On May 1, 1169, the first large group of Norman soldiers landed at Bannow Bay in Co. Wexford. Soon more Norman knights and soldiers joined them. MacMurrough and his army also joined them. They marched to Wexford town. The Vikings who lived there marched out thinking they could defeat Dermot and his army. They were amazed to see how well equipped the Normans were. Within a day Wexford was captured.

In August 1170, Strongbow (Richard de Clare) landed near Waterford with a group of about 1200 Normans (200 knights and 1000 soldiers). They defeated the Vikings and the Irish who lived in Waterford and captured the city. Then got married to Aoife, a daughter of Dermot. (Dermot MacMurrough is often known as Diarmuid na nGall). Soon after this MacMurrough and Strongbow captured Dublin City. Dermot MacMurrough died suddenly, in May 1171, and Strongbow became king of Leinster.

Thats it Denn, Church & State screw us over and 750 years and still they fighting reform. Diarmuid McMurrough &  Richard de Clare's Proto-Fianna Fail Party organised the invasion I heard  ;) Might have been some drunk lad down in Killarney that toldme that to be honest.  :D

Hardy

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 26, 2010, 10:31:14 AM

Ah but who is "we" now? "We" are as much the Normans who invaded as we are the Vikings who were in Wexford and the Gaels about the place.

haranguerer

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 26, 2010, 10:31:29 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 26, 2010, 10:17:07 AM

Dungbag.

Play the ball haranguerer not the man.

:D Thats not bad.

However, if theres some eejit who keeps hitting hopsital passes, sooner or later someone has to say something...

Franko

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 26, 2010, 01:03:04 AM
Quote from: Franko on March 26, 2010, 12:59:32 AM

Better to be a shit-stitter than a foreign Pope selling Ireland to a foreign Monarch.

Oh, no doubt.

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Why did the Romans never invade here?
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"