Should God be removed from the Irish Constitution

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, March 25, 2010, 02:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should God or any/all reference or allusion to him be removed from the Irish Constitution?

Yes
25 (65.8%)
No
13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Canalman

In fairness, BnahÉ is a good constitution imo which has stood the test of time. A flexible enough constitution which was drafted with an eye to thwarting both Communism and Fascism.

Main Street

Unlike many other European countries (eg Norway Denmark Finland),  in Ireland there is no state religion and there is no preference given to any religion in the Constitution.

The question I would ask is, does the mention of God in Art 44 or even that line in the preamble discriminate in any way against another's beliefs?
The mention of God in the constitution is in Article 44
Religion is an important part of the lives of the majority of citizens. Freedom to pursue whatever is guaranteed by the constitution. The constitution protects those rights. Those rights do no discriminate in any way against a person who has no religious beliefs.
It would appear that some people without religious beliefs have a difficulty with the respect expressed in the constitution towards religious beliefs.

Hardy

Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2010, 11:30:57 AM
It would appear that some people without religious beliefs have a difficulty with the respect expressed in the constitution towards religious beliefs.

How much respect is enough?

Main Street

???
Obviously you show just enough at least to keep alive.

Article 44 has nothing to do with the blasphemy law. The blasphemy law has more to do with an incompetent minister who has not got a clue what article 44 is about or a clue about laws which should or should not exist to protect it.

Hardy

It was a more general question. How much respect for religion (or worse, one particular religion - remember the phrase "a protestant parliament for a protestant people"?) is too much respect? Especially if it results in the beliefs of a particular sect, cult or religion influencing the civil law and the administration of justice? Not to mention child protection.

deiseach

Quote from: Hardy on March 26, 2010, 01:06:26 PM
It was a more general question. How much respect for religion (or worse, one particular religion - remember the phrase "a protestant parliament for a protestant people"?) is too much respect? Especially if it results in the beliefs of a particular sect, cult or religion influencing the civil law and the administration of justice? Not to mention child protection.

I don't know how you can avoid sects, cults or religions influencing the civil law. You can delete God all you like, but legislators are still going to be influenced by religious teachings. In fact, people are going to vote for them precisely because of that. You may see that as a bad thing, but the kind of measures that would be necessary to prevent that would (in my opinion) be worse

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on March 26, 2010, 01:06:26 PM

I would look at it another way. The starting point for the State is the constitution.  Is there any context in the Constitution for the framing of laws favouring the beliefs of a religion?
In respect to the example you gave, the blasphemy law, I would say no.
The influence of religious beliefs in the framing of laws is not supported by the constitution.
Though you could argue re the Abortion related laws and you could make a fair argument.

Pangurban

Any individual, be they christian,muslim or jew will be influenced in their voting patterns by their beliefs, as will any legislator. If they are not, then they are only tinkling cymbals, unworthy of any respect

longshanks original

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 25, 2010, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 25, 2010, 02:46:04 PM
So it's Catholic God-believers that you have a problem with? Should the Protestant God be removed from the Constitution as well or is that not him at all?

No I have a problem with them all, this was just an example of whats wrong with this country.

yeah that's right! It's the fact that god is included in the constitution that had led to state of the country presently!! Are you serious? Surely it has something to do with the banks, property developers or the clowns in the dail?! The catholic church may be rotten to the core in Ireland but I dint think god had any hand in it!

longshanks original

Quote from: Pangurban on March 26, 2010, 03:44:39 AM
Sure lets discard God from the Constitution, lets kick him out of the country altogether, give the Publicans free rein to increase their profits on Good Friday, abolish Christmas with its religious overtones, in fact lets turn our back completely on our heritage and history, for one thing is certain ,  we have shown ourselves to be unworthy of laying claim to any of these things.

I whole heartly back this post!!

longrunsthefox

Quote from: longshanks original on March 27, 2010, 03:05:37 AM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 25, 2010, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 25, 2010, 02:46:04 PM
So it's Catholic God-believers that you have a problem with? Should the Protestant God be removed from the Constitution as well or is that not him at all?

No I have a problem with them all, this was just an example of whats wrong with this country.

yeah that's right! It's the fact that god is included in the constitution that had led to state of the country presently!! Are you serious? Surely it has something to do with the banks, property developers or the clowns in the dail?! The catholic church may be rotten to the core in Ireland but I dint think god had any hand in it!

Absolutely, these f***ing perverts and the cover-up merchants in the church have given God a bad name. If Jesus was about, he'd kick sh*t out of the lot of them and tear their Vatican Palace down... thankfully they are tearing themselves apart anyway. 
I think it is no harm to have God mentioned in the constitution but the Catholic church seemed to have claimed it as their own... maybe change it to 'Guiding Force' (which to me is God) or something like that.

theskull1

Quote from: longshanks original on March 27, 2010, 03:07:26 AM
Sure lets discard God from the Constitution, lets kick him out of the country altogether, give the Publicans free rein to increase their profits on Good Friday, abolish Christmas with its religious overtones, in fact lets turn our back completely on our heritage and history, for one thing is certain ,  we have shown ourselves to be unworthy of laying claim to any of these things.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/for_christmas/_new_year/pagan_christmas/37276.stm

I whole heartedly believe that you should study more history

"turn our backs on heritage and history"  :D the irony is just brilliant
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: theskull1 on March 27, 2010, 10:46:22 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/for_christmas/_new_year/pagan_christmas/37276.stm

I whole heartedly believe that you should study more history

"turn our backs on heritage and history"  :D the irony is just brilliant

I also find it funny the way the Irish and Hiberno-Scots practiced Celtic or Irish Catholicism and many in the North of England too. At the Synod of Whitby the English Kings and wing of the Irish Church decided to go with Rome because it aligned the Northumbrian or emerging English identity with the power centers on the continent. I find it funny that the English/Northumbrians where looking to a common European identity (Europhiles). The Irish where abandoned for all their good work! spreading the Christian faith. Later the Pope in Rome and the Kings of England, both of who's position had been greatly strengthened by the work of the Irish. The English arrive and bash our heads into becoming good Roman Catholics, then on a whim! they decided they don't want to be Catholics anymore. So they try and bash or heads into becoming good Anglicans etc. Unfortunately for them they had done too good job of it the first time. It does really go to show the farce that is the Irish adherence to the Roman Catholic, Church of Ireland etc.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

muppet

Why is it that the opening of pubs on good Friday  is sacrilegious and say the match all the lads are going to isn't. Or how about working on Good Friday, should that be banned too? Should TV & Radio suspend broadcasts for 24 hours? Energy & Transports companies?

Why is it just pubs?

* Extra marks if you refer to a relevant passage of The New Testament in your answer.
MWWSI 2017

Pangurban

If you really have to ask those questions, and i suspect you  dont, any answer would be pointless, as you would clearly be lacking in the decency, respect and religious feeling to appreciate it. Nevertheless the majority Christian members of the population are still entitled to express their view. Religion is not merely a private manner, it has a right and duty to public witness within society, something you so called liberals fail to understand. But then anyone who disagrees with you is wrong