Should God be removed from the Irish Constitution

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, March 25, 2010, 02:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should God or any/all reference or allusion to him be removed from the Irish Constitution?

Yes
25 (65.8%)
No
13 (34.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

In the Preamble of BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN it declares
"In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,"

It's time for it to go.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Hardy

In fairness, that doesn't mention God at all.

It's somehow weirdly appropriate to our supposed reputation for whimsy, absurdity and enigma that we are the only country in the world that has a constitution dedicated to a mystery.

Tubberman

It probably should.
But what definitely should be removed, is the practice of the Ceann Comhairle leading the Dáil in their morning prayers.
I don't know if it's the Hail Mary or the Our Father they say, but it has no place in the Dáil, which is meant to be the parliament of a republic.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hardy on March 25, 2010, 02:28:17 PM
In fairness, that doesn't mention God at all.

It's somehow weirdly appropriate to our supposed reputation for whimsy, absurdity and enigma that we are the only country in the world that has a constitution dedicated to a mystery.

I have added the word "allusion" to, I think this covers off your well spotted point there Hardy.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Tubberman on March 25, 2010, 02:30:55 PM
It probably should.
But what definitely should be removed, is the practice of the Ceann Comhairle leading the Dáil in their morning prayers.
I don't know if it's the Hail Mary or the Our Father they say, but it has no place in the Dáil, which is meant to be the parliament of a republic.

I am questioning this Republic day by day, very interesting piece on Newstalk yesterday about the boycott of Protestants down in Ferns by the Catholic mafia-brigade back in the day. Just because a Protestant woman stood up to the Facist-Catholic Church who christened her child as a Catholic against her wishes (when she had origionaly wanted to enter them into the COI first and then also the Catholic church, you cannot do it in reverse as the COI recognise the Catholic christening but not the reverse). Thats the same proud place that gave us Fr.Sean Fortune.

Hardy

So it's Catholic God-believers that you have a problem with? Should the Protestant God be removed from the Constitution as well or is that not him at all?

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Hardy on March 25, 2010, 02:46:04 PM
So it's Catholic God-believers that you have a problem with? Should the Protestant God be removed from the Constitution as well or is that not him at all?

No I have a problem with them all, this was just an example of whats wrong with this country.

Farrandeelin

Perhaps that's what Enda Kenny should be reforming when he gets in??
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 25, 2010, 02:50:47 PM

Might not be a bad idea.

Tubberman

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 25, 2010, 02:50:47 PM

With the help of God  :P
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

longrunsthefox

Is some craic all the people who swear to God in court and may be atheists.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 25, 2010, 02:20:37 PM
In the Preamble of BUNREACHT NA hÉIREANN it declares
"In the Name of the Most Holy Trinity, from Whom is all authority and to Whom, as our final end, all actions both of men and States must be referred,"

It's time for it to go.

That's either a school in Cookstown or George Best, Bobby Charlton and Denis Law (apologies for the soccer reference Hardy)
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

Main Street

God is mentioned elsewhere in the constitution and imo that part should remain.

Personally I am not too hung up on the preamble even though I and many other religions/atheists don't recognise the status that has been ascribed to Jesus or have much awareness of their Holy Trinity.
Nevertheless I am satisfied that the document created by a people who are are just humbly bowing to the highest form of spirituality that they believe/know in, before recognising my civil rights.
I am quite comfortable with that.

More importantly the preamble remembers  "Gratefully remembering their heroic and unremitting struggle to regain the rightful independence of our Nation"

Puckoon

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 25, 2010, 02:47:05 PM
Quote from: Hardy on March 25, 2010, 02:46:04 PM

No I have a problem with them all, this was just an example of whats wrong with this country.

That is what is wrong with the country??