Maigh Eo V Muineachán 28/3/2010

Started by Main Street, March 22, 2010, 02:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

moysider, i attended the dublin game and mayo were not forced that hard, they just shot really bad from frees and play even with time to line it up. Dublin did cram their defence but Mayo cut through them anyway.If they hit one third of the easy ones they should have scored they would have one by 2 or 3 points. Hopefully they win sunday, a league final would be nice.

Farrandeelin

They were forced hard enough mannix, but they should have converted their numerous free opportunities that day.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Main Street

In the scheme of greater things, not converting your chances is no big deal in the league, apart from losing to the Dubs at home of course.

There were 3 or 4 of the Monaghan seniors playing last night in the u21 against Antrim. They are proving to be handy enough needed additions to senior team. I hope they are able to play on Sunday. Dare I say the backbone of the team has more swung to the football skilled players, even if the rake of red and yellow cards indicate old habits still linger. Freeman, Finlay and McManus are providing the vast bulk of the scores and freetaking accuracy is now good to a 40m range. The magic marker for us is the 45.
I'd hope for a high scoring game with the most of them coming for Monaghan, mind you that's a hope and not an expectation. Playing football in September  (even August) is still only a dream for us ;D
We can only envy the high standards of Mayo GAA.

Tubberman

Quote from: Main Street on March 25, 2010, 01:36:53 PM
In the scheme of greater things, not converting your chances is no big deal in the league, apart from losing to the Dubs at home of course.

There were 3 or 4 of the Monaghan seniors playing last night in the u21 against Antrim. They are proving to be handy enough needed additions to senior team. I hope they are able to play on Sunday. Dare I say the backbone of the team has more swung to the football skilled players, even if the rake of red and yellow cards indicate old habits still linger. Freeman, Finlay and McManus are providing the vast bulk of the scores and freetaking accuracy is now good to a 40m range. The magic marker for us is the 45.
I'd hope for a high scoring game with the most of them coming for Monaghan, mind you that's a hope and not an expectation. Playing football in September  (even August) is still only a dream for us ;D
We can only envy the high standards of Mayo GAA.

Quick, quick! Pass me the bucket!  :D
Good to see a relatively novel match on Sunday, we don't cross swords too often.
Like most of the other Mayo lads, I'd be cautious about this one. A lot of similarities to the lead up to the Dublin game.
- Won the two previous matches
- Beat one of the top 3 away from home in the previous match
- This week's game at home so will be fancied to win
- Considered by some as the more 'natural' footballers between the two teams (whatever that means these days)

So we could easily see a repeat performance when the Monaghan men apply the pressure and hard tackling. There's no chance they'll stand off like Kerry seemed to last week.
Still, I'd hope the Mayo players will have learnt from the Dublin match and will be better able to take a shot under pressure, or more importantly, choose the best time to take their shots.
And we can hardly miss so many frees again!

Will be a tight one, a lot could hinge on whether Dillon is available. I'll go for Mayo by 1 or 2, then it's off to Cork  :-\
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Schkite

Looks like our u-21s came through last night unscathed, and the senior panellists continued their impressive form, Hughes and Malone in particular. Word is Vinny will be back for this game which would be a big boost, and hopefully JP Mone is fit to start as he really makes a difference in defence.

If we're to have a chance against Mayo we'll need the defence to be very tight against a Mayo attack that has been free-scoring of late. We'll also need everyone up front to be firing well, McManus to continue his great form and if Tommy could fire in a fourth goal in as many games that would be a big help also! I'd be confident of any frees being converted with Finlay and McManus but Mayo won't be giving away handy frees, so we'll have to work for our scores. The midfield battle will be crucial, and it's a game like this where we could really be doing with Eoin Lennon as Mayo are strong here. But Dick is in serious form and he'll run his legs into the ground for the cause. It's going to be very tough, but our boys will make a right go of it.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Although I hope it doesn't turn out that way, this is nicely set up for a Monaghan win.

History has taught us that Mayo are never as vulnerable as when they're coming off a big victory - see Galway '09, Dublin '06, Tyrone '04 etc.

Monaghan might be in difficulty but they're no mugs and they'll rightly fancy it on Sunday.

Mayo badly need these two points if they're serious about reaching the league final - Cork are formidable in Pairc Ui Rinn at the moment and I wouldn't want to be going there looking for a result.

GrandMasterFlash

I reckon there might be one change from the starting line up from last Sunday. That is Vinny back in (if he's fully fit) at FF at the expesne of Hughie.

I wonder will the banty hold back on the U21s on account of them playing next Wed against Cavan? I can't see it to be honest. He might start them and then make changes depending on how things materialise.

Should be interesting, if we can get out of the blocks fast (like last week), get the momentum going, the overlaps, supportive running, tracking back, scavanging for breaks around MF and hard (but fair!) tackles in then we give most teams in the country something to think about.. This Monaghan team are built on these qualities and if we see them this Sunday then we're in with a shout. This will be helped if McGarrity and Dillon don't win their fitness battles..

Monaghan by 2!

It is Friday after all lads, time to nail your colours firmly to the mast...

Farrandeelin

OK so GMF, Mayo will win because they're higher in the table than Monaghan.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 26, 2010, 11:03:45 AM

That's ma boy! Yee Haaa!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on March 26, 2010, 11:26:51 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 26, 2010, 11:03:45 AM

That's ma boy! Yee Haaa!

Surely Antrim should always come top as they start the league top, then after winning their first game, they are still top & so the trend continues.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mannix

Both have something to play for, Mayo want to be in Croke Park for a final and Monaghan need to win to avoid the drop, Mayo should win on form and I reckon they will by a few points.

Mayo 1 12  Monaghan  1 09

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Lar Naparka

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on March 26, 2010, 10:01:58 AM
I reckon there might be one change from the starting line up from last Sunday. That is Vinny back in (if he's fully fit) at FF at the expesne of Hughie.

I wonder will the banty hold back on the U21s on account of them playing next Wed against Cavan? I can't see it to be honest. He might start them and then make changes depending on how things materialise.

Should be interesting, if we can get out of the blocks fast (like last week), get the momentum going, the overlaps, supportive running, tracking back, scavanging for breaks around MF and hard (but fair!) tackles in then we give most teams in the country something to think about.. This Monaghan team are built on these qualities and if we see them this Sunday then we're in with a shout. This will be helped if McGarrity and Dillon don't win their fitness battles..

Monaghan by 2!

It is Friday after all lads, time to nail your colours firmly to the mast...

No problem, my friend, glad to oblige...
There is no reliable form line between the two to go by so you can only go by the league results so far.
I must admit that I don't know much about the details of Monaghan's games so far but the league tables show that they have played 5, won 2, drew 0, lost 3 and the points diff is -4.
On the other hand,  Mayo have also played 5 games, winning 4, losing 1 and have a points diff of +12.  Furthermore, the latter is skewed a bit by the fact that Mayo conceded a goal in both the Kerry and Derry games against the run of play and each was literally the last act of the respective matches. 
Because of complacency in both cases, Mayo are by no means assured of a final place yet- even if they do manage to win on Sunday.
I can't see O'Mahony letting them ease up in this game and I'd expect Mayo to be at least 3 points in front at the end.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Main Street

Feck, the little bit of hope I had after reading the rte pundit had called a draw as inevitable, is being seriously tested by the Mayo swagger. I have to admire your calm confidence, when on Sunday, Banty brings his team to town hell bent on mauling you to pieces.
The contrasting relative merits of team quality don't matter so much here, if they did, Monaghan have that lost by 5 points.
Every team I suppose wants to do well but Monaghan have set the bar much higher than that. This year has to show something greater than anything else achieved in Banty's era. Div 1 Survival with dignity  (6 points) is a first step. Banty wants those league points and Mayo happen to be the opponents. The bar will have to be pushed a bit higher to achieve that. One aspect of that is players maintaining just enough discipline to stay on the pitch.

Monaghan by a good 2 points

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on March 26, 2010, 04:55:59 PM
Feck, the little bit of hope I had after reading the rte pundit had called a draw as inevitable, is being seriously tested by the Mayo swagger. I have to admire your calm confidence, when on Sunday, Banty brings his team to town hell bent on mauling you to pieces.
The contrasting relative merits of team quality don't matter so much here, if they did, Monaghan have that lost by 5 points.
Every team I suppose wants to do well but Monaghan have set the bar much higher than that. This year has to show something greater than anything else achieved in Banty's era. Div 1 Survival with dignity  (6 points) is a first step. Banty wants those league points and Mayo happen to be the opponents. The bar will have to be pushed a bit higher to achieve that. One aspect of that is players maintaining just enough discipline to stay on the pitch.

Monaghan by a good 2 points

Main, you're makin Banty sound like captain Caveman there and that we're still atin our young in Monaghan..