Maigh Eo V Muineachán 28/3/2010

Started by Main Street, March 22, 2010, 02:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 23, 2010, 11:08:34 PM
There is some shite being spouted on this thread ::)

A Sligonian don't be on here to stress us out all together. After peeking so early down in Kerry in the League by the time we meet Sligo we could be in serious trouble. Sligo will be under the radar, Mayo over-hyped. Sligo playing at home against a Mayo team that still conceeding last minute goals, nothing learned and in serious danger of a Mayo V Roscommon 2001 moment. I dispair, even our underage are falling apart. Our Clubs can't even win Connacht, O dear Lord.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

macdanger2

Will be interesting to see how Mayo fare against a physical enough Monaghan team who have a couple of handy forwards as well. Who will mark Freeman? KH?

Many changes to be made from the last day? Stick with Conroy at FB or give Feeney a run? Wouldn't mind seeing Feeney in from the start. If Wood is playing, he would suit him I'd say.

Would you give C Mort get a start to give him a bit of fitness?

On paper, you'd say Mayo have better footballers but if it comes down to a hard fought game, you'd be hard pushed not to fancy the Farney.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: macdanger2 on March 23, 2010, 11:40:01 PM
Will be interesting to see how Mayo fare against a physical enough Monaghan team who have a couple of handy forwards as well. Who will mark Freeman? KH?

On paper, you'd say Mayo have better footballers but if it comes down to a hard fought game, you'd be hard pushed not to fancy the Farney.

The Monaghan lads think we are pulling their legs, but we are damn serious, look what the Dubs did to us. On top of that you never know when the Mayo forwards will misfire and with a possible League Final coming up, I am really afraid the lads might panic a bit like the Irish rugby team last weekend. I wish Monaghan where safe coming into this game.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

RedandGreenSniper

Separated at birth?
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 23, 2010, 11:50:06 PM

Separated at birth?

Wonder can Tommy F hurl as good as our Keith though!?
You'd imagine they'll be marking each other, and has the makings of a great battle.
Mayo could possibly have McGarrity and Kilcoyne back for this - Killer was targetting this match a couple of months back, not sure if he's still on target. Would be great to see himself and the Thriller come on at some stage if we need a few scores.
We have the option of Cafferkey, Conroy, and possibly Feeney (although JOM doesn't seem to have trust in this one) for FB. Each can do a decent job, but I don't think any would have you completely at ease.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tubberman on March 24, 2010, 08:43:04 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 23, 2010, 11:50:06 PM

Separated at birth?

Wonder can Tommy F hurl as good as our Keith though!?
You'd imagine they'll be marking each other, and has the makings of a great battle.
Mayo could possibly have McGarrity and Kilcoyne back for this - Killer was targetting this match a couple of months back, not sure if he's still on target. Would be great to see himself and the Thriller come on at some stage if we need a few scores.
We have the option of Cafferkey, Conroy, and possibly Feeney (although JOM doesn't seem to have trust in this one) for FB. Each can do a decent job, but I don't think any would have you completely at ease.

He's been injured for the last month. Infection in his leg I think . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

mannix

mayonews have a fairly good podcast, worth listening to. they say on it that kerry were after having a tough week training, how did kerry win a league and championship in the same year last few years? are Mayo that fit now that come summer they will be worn out? can a player not be as fit in april as september?

Main Street

Quote from: mannix on March 24, 2010, 01:14:15 PM
mayonews have a fairly good podcast, worth listening to. they say on it that kerry were after having a tough week training, how did kerry win a league and championship in the same year last few years? are Mayo that fit now that come summer they will be worn out? can a player not be as fit in april as september?
A player's level of fitness in September?
It is well for Mayo that ye have to deal with those big questions. A Monaghan man could only dream of having to think about one like that in relation to his team.

Mayo hot favourites to win with the bookies at 4/9, the most hotly tipped first div team to win their game in this round. 

mannix

main street,  will you stop?  monaghan will give anyone a game and against Mayo they will do the same. Monaghan are not in division 1 without reason.

Cosmo Kramer

Monaghan have been a quality addition to the top division this year. I thought they might struggle first year up, but they've been good all the way through and deserve to stay up ahead of some of the more 'established' teams (i.e. bigger names that the media salivate over).

The competitive games will stand to them later in the year as well - they've as good a chance as anyone in Ulster this year..

I think we'll just about do it this weekend with home advantage, but I expect Monaghan to score heavily so if our forwards have another off day like the Dublin game we'll be soundly beaten.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Main Street

Quote from: mannix on March 24, 2010, 04:47:15 PM
main street,  will you stop?  monaghan will give anyone a game and against Mayo they will do the same. Monaghan are not in division 1 without reason.
Gaining Div 1 status in itself does not confer a quality and mark my words the pundits will all be chalking this one in Mayo's favour.

When you think about it, Mayo being on 8 points is tricky. Your div 1 status is secure but do you really want the hassle of a distraction of going hell for leather to get to a Div 1 final?

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Main Street on March 24, 2010, 08:57:06 PM
Quote from: mannix on March 24, 2010, 04:47:15 PM
Gaining Div 1 status in itself does not confer a quality and mark my words the pundits will all be chalking this one in Mayo's favour.

When you think about it, Mayo being on 8 points is tricky. Your div 1 status is secure but do you really want the hassle of a distraction of going hell for leather to get to a Div 1 final?

I would confidently say 'yes'. a big game against Dublin or Cork in HQ would do Mayo no harm at this early stage in the year. I'd say they'd be mad for it in fact!

Main Street

So basically Sunday's game is to be decided by if Mayo are more mad for a League final than Monaghan are mad for to stay up. We might have a chance then, we can do mad stuff.

western exile

The game will be decided by which Monaghan team shows up.  They are all Monaghan men after all, so it depends if they have more "main street" or more "GrandMasterFlash" like team members  ;)
If the former, easy win for Mayo.  8)

moysider

Mayo won midfield comfortably against Kerry. Kerry however did nothing to cram things up and mayo were allowed the space to thrive. Hard to imaging Tom Parsons being allowed to run through a Kerry defence like that in Aug/Sept. Or Monaghan next Sunday for that matter. Dublin beat Mayo by funnelling men back behind the ball and forcing shot selection. When we could nt nail our frees it let them steal it. I expect Monaghan to play it like Dublin but I expect Mayo to cope better this time. Hope Dillon recovers in time for this one. We need him to unpick tight backs and nail the frees.