Self Help

Started by Olly, March 22, 2010, 11:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olly

I am not talking about the programmes you see on ITV or BBC but I think everyone should think about reading self help books. I spent twenty years of my life denying who I was and living the life of someone else who was inside my body. But it wasn't me. I started reading a book by a man called Gary van Warmerdam

This is him.

I know he looks a bit American with his smile and beard but he's fine.

He has taught me to not judge people before I meet them. He tells me that everything I think about isn't real. All the thoughts I have are beliefs and values with no substance. The only real thing is what actually happens in front of you . This means that I don't worry about things at all. AN example of this was when I was told my car might have been clamped and crushed when I left it in Newry overnight. Someone told me this in truth. I was able to listen to his words, realise that that man could be wrong. Also, if it was crushed what could I do about it? I would just get on with life.

There are some faults ie if you were standing talking to someone on a train line and a train was hurtling towards you at 100 mph and it was only a few metres away, it's best to 'think' and walk off the line I suppose.

But in general he has made me a very happy person and this is his website - http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/. You can email him here - gary@pathwayto happiness.com. I have emailed him many times about wee problems around the house. He has never replied but by emailing him I found out I'd worked out the problem magically.

I was wondering if any one believes in self-help to any extent at all, or am I making my life more complicated? Can anyone recommend any? What is Dr Phil like?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

illdecide

I was at the "Self Help" this morning too, it involved my right hand and a few tissue's ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

JUst retired

Dr. Phil. is a fat american guy with a nearly bald head and a moustache,I think. He wears a dark suit. ;D

Olly

What I mean is, is he any good or just a TV star? Are there any Irish self-helpers on the market?
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

JUst retired

Yes me. The best advice i can give you is Live every day like it`s your last, some day you will be right. This is what I apply to my life.  No charge for the advice by the way. ;)

Olly

Quote from: JUst retired on March 22, 2010, 11:48:01 AM
Yes me. The best advice i can give you is Live every day like it`s your last, some day you will be right. This is what I apply to my life.  No charge for the advice by the way. ;)

I don't think that is good advice. If I knew it was my last day I would be going around sorting out my affairs and finances and saying goodbyes to everyone. I think if I did that everyday people would be rather annoyed with me.

I would also be a bit annoyed that it was ending, every day.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Olly on March 22, 2010, 11:55:51 AM
Quote from: JUst retired on March 22, 2010, 11:48:01 AM

I don't think that is good advice. If I knew it was my last day I would be going around sorting out my affairs and finances and saying goodbyes to everyone. I think if I did that everyday people would be rather annoyed with me.

I would also be a bit annoyed that it was ending, every day.

What? Have we become so brain washed by John Terry, Tiger Woods and Ashley Cole that we now just accept affairs as being part of the normal way to journey to the grave?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

ludermor

There used to be a lad on this board that answered every question thrown at him, very good he was too! Maybe he could be the self help guru.

maggie

Quote from: Olly on March 22, 2010, 11:09:15 AM
I am not talking about the programmes you see on ITV or BBC but I think everyone should think about reading self help books. I spent twenty years of my life denying who I was and living the life of someone else who was inside my body. But it wasn't me.

Eh?

Shamrock Shore

QuoteThere used to be a lad on this board that answered every question thrown at him, very good he was too! Maybe he could be the self help guru

That would have been Farneyboy (or was it Farneyman)

Minder

Olly is shaping up into a decent WUM, keep up the good work.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ludermor

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on March 22, 2010, 12:26:02 PM
QuoteThere used to be a lad on this board that answered every question thrown at him, very good he was too! Maybe he could be the self help guru

That would have been Farneyboy (or was it Farneyman)
Thats the lad! Though if Olly started asking him questions it turn out a bit like Me, Myself and Irene

Hardy

Quote from: Olly on March 22, 2010, 11:09:15 AMI spent twenty years of my life denying who I was and living the life of someone else who was inside my body. But it wasn't me.

This is fascinating! Who was it?

Olly

It was someone who I had created over time but not recognised him. I let him control my thoughts and reactions. I knew it wasn't me at the back of my head. My eyeballs were not mine. My ears were not mine. I was behaving to suit the others in the community. I was using my eyeballs to see what the man inside me wanted me to see. My ears were hearing what the man wanted me to hear. Now, with the confidence that comes with age, the ability to be the man I want to be, I was able to chase that man from inside me and take on a new body. I can express how I am without fear of judgement or being stoned at. I put it all down to this man:

Growing up in Ireland you are prosecuted for your sexuality and desire. Now, with the Church under scrutiny and with it Ireland's personality, men and women can flourish in a world or indifference and acceptance. The future is one that my ancestors will thrive in in the future.

If anyone disagrees with that, then they are the ones who need to be psycotically assessed. The future is great and I'm part of it. If anyone is inspired by this, read the man above. Chase that person from inside you before it's too.