Did Brady covered up child abuse?

Started by longrunsthefox, March 14, 2010, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoud Sean Brady be charged and put before the courts?

Yes-he should be charged
69 (68.3%)
No- he should not
32 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 101

boojangles

Quote from: muppet on March 14, 2010, 09:02:41 PM
It should also be noted that only the Ferns & Dublin dioceses have been properly independently investigated to date. Here is a very good reason to investigate another and there is probably an argument to do the lot of them.

A very good point. My other worked in the old Surgical hospital in Cavan town back in the 70s when Brendan Smyth was based in Kilnacrott. He used to parade around the place and would often be around the childrens ward, while being treated like royalty by most of the nurses. He had no right to be about the place but because he was a priest, questions were never asked.
As she said herself there has to be alot of stories to come out in this diocese yet and a full investigation should take place,as it should in every other diocese in the country.

longrunsthefox

Brady was on the RTE news and said he stopped Brendan Smyth hearing confessions   :o   ...Jees! Sean why didn't you say that in the first place?... sure that makes it all ok...  ::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 14, 2010, 11:34:52 PM
Brady was on the RTE news and said he stopped Brendan Smyth hearing confessions   :o   ...Jees! Sean why didn't you say that in the first place?... sure that makes it all ok...  ::)
What world do these boys live in?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

omagh_gael

"The responsibility for his behaviour as a priest rested with his religious superior in Kilnacrott."

This sort of language makes me sick, was there no Garda in co Cavan at this time? Perhaps fr Sean didn't know their number? Or was it up to his superiors to look up the golden pages?

He has to go!

JUst retired

maygodhelpus You are going to have to change your name,  drop the god and we really are in trouble. ;D

gerry

He said today on radio ulster that it was not up to him to tell the police to investigate it.

Feck you wonder whats going on today and what stories we will hear in the future and why the clergy stood by and do nothing about it.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

haveaharp

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 14, 2010, 11:47:25 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 14, 2010, 11:34:52 PM
What world do these boys live in?

Our world unfortunately. The world you and i grew up in. The mass rocks is the only answer for these f**kers. When the money doesn't flow then the questions will start in earnest.

orangeman

Cardinal Brady will not resign over abuse 'cover-up' 

Cardinal Sean Brady said he was following bishops' orders 

The head of the Catholic Church in Ireland says he will only resign over claims he helped cover up sex abuse if he is asked to do so by the Pope.

Cardinal Sean Brady was at meetings in the 1970s where two abused teenagers signed vows of silence over their complaints against Fr Brendan Smyth.

Fr Smyth was a notorious sex offender jailed in the 1990s for child abuse.

"There was no cover up, I believed those people. I brought what I heard to the bishop," Cardinal Brady said.

The complaints of abuse were investigated by Cardinal Brady in his capacity as secretary to the bishop of Kilmore in 1975.

Cardinal Brady said he had been following his bishop's orders and there were no guidelines for dealing with such investigations at that time.

"Now I know with hindsight that I should have done more. I thought at that time I was doing what I was required to do, and not just that, but most effectively. I acted with great urgency to get that evidence and produce it.

Child sex abuse is a very serious crime and very grave and if I found myself in a situation where I was aware that my failure to act had allowed or meant that other children were abused, well then, I think I would resign

Cardinal Sean Brady, December 2009
"I believed in doing so, I was following the most effective route to get this stopped. That is my concern and always was - the safety of children."

He said his actions were part of a process that removed the shamed cleric's licence to act as a priest.

He said he did not believe this was a resigning matter.

However, in an interview with Irish broadcaster RTE last December, the cardinal said he, himself, would resign if he found that a child had been abused as a result of any managerial failure on his part.

"I would remember that child sex abuse is a very serious crime and very grave and if I found myself in a situation where I was aware that my failure to act had allowed or meant that other children were abused, well then, I think I would resign," he said.

At that time, the cardinal apologised on behalf of the Church after an Irish government report revealed abuse over decades, a systematic cover-up by the Church and a lack of action by Irish police.

At that time, he said: "No-one is above the law in this country.

"Every Catholic should comply fully with their obligations to the civil law and co-operate with the Gardai (Irish police) in the reporting and investigation of any crime."

He said children's welfare was now a priority for the Church.

johnneycool

Quote from: orangeman on March 15, 2010, 09:45:23 AM

Was that not the lame excuse given by the Nazi's at the Nuremberg trials?

What galls me is that these hoors think they operate only under the jurisdiction of Rome and not local legal legislation like the rest of them.

The decent members of the Clergy that we keep hearing so much about have to grow a set of balls and stand up for what is right rather than hide in the shadows.

orangeman

Quote from: johnneycool on March 15, 2010, 10:19:10 AM
Quote from: orangeman on March 15, 2010, 09:45:23 AM

Was that not the lame excuse given by the Nazi's at the Nuremberg trials?

What galls me is that these hoors think they operate only under the jurisdiction of Rome and not local legal legislation like the rest of them.

The decent members of the Clergy that we keep hearing so much about have to grow a set of balls and stand up for what is right rather than hide in the shadows.

This whoe power thing that they think they have has gone unchallenged by us for generations. So when we're blaming Brady and the rest of them, we should be kicking our own arses for not having the courage to stand up to them ourselves.

I know a man who a couple of weeks ago went to a Parish Priest to politely object to some development that the PP was doing in the chapel grounds. The PP took great exception to being challenged and so ordered him out of the parochial house, told him never to come back, told him that he owned the chapel and the chapel grounds and told him that he could do whatever the hell he liked as he was the boss !!!

Some things never change.

orangeman

Should Cardinal Sean Brady resign?

BBC Talkback put that question to its listeners today in a straw poll and of the hundreds who responded...81% said yes. Only 19% said they didn't think he should resign.

The Iceman

I've always had a lot of time for Sean Brady.  I've known him going on 10+ years and he was always a sound man.

I don't think he should resign, in fact I would encourage him to continue his role as Arch-Bishop.  I don't know of a better Bishop in Ireland.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  People will not be satisfied until there is no Church, until God is out of the constitution (as another poster wrote) until Christians everywhere beg forgiveness of atheists all over the world for getting it wrong.

Things need fixed not destroyed.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

delboy

Quote from: The Iceman on March 15, 2010, 02:46:39 PM
I don't think he should resign, in fact I would encourage him to continue his role as Arch-Bishop.  I don't know of a better Bishop in Ireland.

If thats the best what the hell must the rest be like then, doesn't bear thinking about really.

Candyman

RTÉ and BBC cameras all over the "city" centre this morning ask for peoples views.... Half of them hadnt a clue what it was even about, should make interesting viewing!!

dublinfella

Quote from: The Iceman on March 15, 2010, 02:46:39 PM
I've always had a lot of time for Sean Brady.  I've known him going on 10+ years and he was always a sound man.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  People will not be satisfied until there is no Church, until God is out of the constitution (as another poster wrote) until Christians everywhere beg forgiveness of atheists all over the world for getting it wrong.

Things need fixed not destroyed.

You are of course right. Until that enlightned day we will have to make do with those in the clergy who broke the law and exposed thousands of kids to abuse be made face the consequences of their actions. This man should be in jail. Open and shut.

If there is no better bishop in Ireland, the talent pool must be very shallow.