Did Brady covered up child abuse?

Started by longrunsthefox, March 14, 2010, 02:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shoud Sean Brady be charged and put before the courts?

Yes-he should be charged
69 (68.3%)
No- he should not
32 (31.7%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Main Street

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 17, 2010, 11:02:26 AM
Was listening to some old bollox called Msgr Maurice Dooley on the Nolan Show saying he would not report  a priest who told him he was molesting children.... so much for the 1975 arguement, some things never change. It was unbelievable wat he was saying including, "I would tell him to stop being  a paedophile.'  Laughable if it wasn't so stomach churning...
'Hang down yer head Maurice Dooley'... 
same as Myles, I don't bring my children near their door... we can talk to God from the house...
The very same man
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=15720.msg750022#msg750022

I listened to the Cardinal's "homily" this morning on radio, maybe there will be a report of it someplace. It would appear that he has distanced himself from the justifications offered here (still no explanation offered for that bizarre Human Rights one ::) and distanced himself from the likes of Dooley, the devil's own disciple.
More or less said he failed and was ashamed, no reservations mentioned about his reasons but some clouded reference to stopping the drip drip effect. What could he be referring to? the media?

The Iceman

So telll me this everyone now who is jumping ship and abandoning the Church.
Where you Church go-ers who actually gave a shit before all this or did you rarely darken the door anyways?

If you were Church go-ers and will no longer go how will you now teach your children in the faith, how will you instruct them in matters of religion, how will you introduce them to Jesus?  Will they receive sacraments?

Answers on a post card......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

armaghniac

While it doesn't lessen the original failing, he has apologised and he used the word ashamed, which is rarely used by leaders in Ireland. Not much prospect of the likes of Bertie Aherne or Martin mcGuinness saying that they are ashamed.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnneycool

Quote from: The Iceman on March 17, 2010, 12:40:17 PM
Where you Church go-ers who actually gave a shit before all this or did you rarely darken the door anyways?

If you were Church go-ers and will no longer go how will you now teach your children in the faith, how will you instruct them in matters of religion, how will you introduce them to Jesus?  Will they receive sacraments?

You probably place a great emphasis on the sacraments and going to church and thats fine, I don't and hence my children (IMO) won't suffer for the lack of them, however I will emphasise to them the difference between right and wrong and hopefully be strong enough individuals to make their own minds up on any moral issues they encounter in life.

They will be going to a maintained school as its a good school but I will make it abundantly clear to the principal and teachers that at no time will my children be left unaccompanied with a priest who may not have the welfare of my child as their main objective.

red hander

A wee bird tells me the excrement is going to hit the air-conditioning tomorrow over another abuse cover-up involving two well-known, high-ranking northern churchmen ... have a feeling Brady won't be the only one 'reflecting' on his position over coming days

Tony Baloney

The people in Armagh had a chance to send a message today. Of course the sheep flock couldn't take their heads out of their arses long enough to make a stand. Standing at the pulpit of an empty cathedral would have made Brady's mind up about what the right and proper decision was.

Gaffer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 17, 2010, 07:22:22 PM
The people in Armagh had a chance to send a message today. Of course the sheep flock couldn't take their heads out of their arses long enough to make a stand. Standing at the pulpit of an empty cathedral would have made Brady's mind up about what the right and proper decision was.

One thing I noticed about the congregation today on the news that they were mostly pensioner age
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

longrunsthefox

What's your address?... why would I want to teach them in matters of religion? Do you think God is to be found in stain glass windows and statues... and the religions were created by man not God. I'm sure Jesus is very impressed with your catholic church ::) with its riches and abuse and palace in Rome

Capt Pat

Ok I can't take it any more can someone change the title of the topic from did Brady covered up child abuse. I can't stand bad grammar, it is making me crack up.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Capt Pat on March 17, 2010, 08:31:42 PM
Ok I can't take it any more can someone change the title of the topic from did Brady covered up child abuse. I can't stand bad grammar, it is making me crack up.

Nope...  8)

Aghdavoyle

In fairness to brady, and applying your logic, maybe they did send their message by showing him support?

http://www.u.tv/News/Cardinal-sorry-over-abuse-failure/5e23b2e1-c70f-4cc9-b253-20a7d9634ec5

Dougal

i abandoned the church a while after the abuse scandals were revealed,but not because of the abuse scandals.i dont have children,and if i do in the future,i wont be bringing them to mass,unless the mother wishes to bring them.il teach them the the story of jesus and tell them that it might be true,and in time they can make their own decision.why is receiving sacraments a requirement?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on March 17, 2010, 08:42:16 PM

In fairness to brady, and applying your logic, maybe they did send their message by showing him support?

There are people will keep going to church even if that lunatic Monsignor Dooley was saying mass and was their bishop. God help their wit. I was impressed with Brady today however... at last he showed some humility and said he was 'ashamed.' Hopefully the court case he is involved in won't be an out of court settlement and the full truth will come out. A lot of priests must be sh*tting themselves at the minute as we probably ain't heard the half of it yet.   

Puckoon

Well I was in church for the first time in a year on friday at a funeral and I saw the strangest thing, and t'was all I could do to stop myself from laughing out loud. Id spent most of the mass wondering if I was going to go up to communion because I wasnt honestly sure that I should or that Id be welcome - but whatever, what happened next made me realise I could go surely.

This 6ft 6 giant of a man waltzed up to communion (from the outside he looked like a bit of a head the ball), I assume mainly because everyone else was going and he took the host - said thank you to the priest and stuffed it into his pocket as he returned to his seat.

I couldnt believe I was seeing that - as a child I remember the fecking choke plate being jammed into your throat for fear of the host landing on the floor. I remember hearing the hulabaloo that accompanied a dropped host and how it was sacralige. Well it ended up in among yer mans tissues and car keys and not an eyelid batted. Except for mine.

Aghdavoyle

You can't simply dismiss people going to mass today as sheep, irrespective of the celebrant. particularly if the opposite had happened it'd have been held up as a huge statement. In my day to day experiences most people are disappointed in brady but aren't prepared to condemn him for a mistake he made under pressure as a young priest. where would we be if we toss everyone who's done that on the scrap heap?

Brady remains a good man for me - as brain dead and irrisponsible as the decision he made back then was.