Are we debasing our National Anthem?

Started by Tomorrow is another day, March 12, 2010, 11:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 14, 2010, 11:42:04 PM
Kilkenny and Cork players were doing their stretches and fixing their helmets during the anthem.

Disgusting.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

bonaduche

Quote from: Frank Casey on March 16, 2010, 10:57:42 PM
Have been off board for some time but started lurking again lately.

Thread caught the eye.

In short to the question posed - YES we are bebasing the anthem, but not for any significant, to my mind, reasons. Dopes involved in acting the maggot shouldn't be worried about.

There are many/most of us who treat the Soldiers' Song properly. There are a share of others who don't. Players may have other things on their mind but spectators shouldn't. Its usually those empty vessels who make most noise.

I'd appeal to all true gaels to just do whats right and sing your hearts out. F the begrudgers.

Agus Ciarraí abú!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

song and dance about nothing ,,,
players at times dont even hear the national anthem  they have more on their minds at the time
some dont have any thought on the meaning to the anthem or indeed the words
some are still locked into the politics of our land  (or maybe the politics of our parents and have not moved
it tend to mean more to people from the north or maybe thats thier perception
any way   a bit of decoram should always be observed
remember     leave them alone and they ll come home wagging tier tails behind them

bonaduche

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 14, 2010, 02:43:58 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 14, 2010, 10:52:07 AM
Yis are all a crowd of spas, play it early and play it often. Wtf would you be saving it for? So people never hear it and dont f**king recognise it when they do?

And who gives a f**k what county respects it more, means very little when in the next roar 'yis northern/southern b**tards' is the call...

Spas?... you mean like 'spastic?.... disabled...  :o

..."The medical term "spastic" became used to describe cerebral palsy. The Spastics Society (now called Scope) is a UK charity for people with cerebral palsy, which was founded in 1951...."
i return to another world
you once accused me of baiting a situation
long run the fox     ( but he sometimes gets caught )    strabane abu

Hardy

CA
Quote from: Frank Casey on March 16, 2010, 10:57:42 PM

I'd appeal to all true gaels to just do whats right

Once and for all, can somebody please explain to me what a "gael" is? Having established that, can we then define a "true gael" and what characteristics of verity, authenticity or correctitude distinguish the genuine variety of gael from the generality of presumably false, fake or phoney gaels?

seafoid

Amhran na bhfiann is no St Bernadette of a song. Never mind the singing at matches- why it is sung at the end of every night out on the piss ? Is there any other country in the world where the nation's drinkers feel compelled to express their "love" for the nation  every Friday and Saturday night at the business end of 10 pints ? Some Irish traditions are insane and singing Amhran na bhfiann in every nightclub at 2am is one of them. It isn't even the best song. Mo ghile mear has far more class.     

Rossfan

Quote from: Hardy on March 17, 2010, 10:24:44 AM

Once and for all, can somebody please explain to me what a "gael" is? Having established that, can we then define a "true gael"

A gael is a person who thinks,dreams,lives eats and drinks all things GAA.
A True Gael ( more correctly Fíor Gael) is one who has no time for mickey mouse codes of football like British controlled Soccer (The English,Scottish,Welsh and Irish(N.E) F A's have the same no. of votes on FIFA as the rest of the world) and that abomination of a so called sport that is Rugby.

Now you know.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Rossfan on March 17, 2010, 08:49:41 PM

Once and for all, can somebody please explain to me what a "gael" is? Having established that, can we then define a "true gael"

A True Gael ( more correctly Fíor Gael) is one who has no time for mickey mouse codes of football like British controlled Soccer (The English,Scottish,Welsh and Irish(N.E) F A's have the same no. of votes on FIFA as the rest of the world) and that abomination of a so called sport that is Rugby.

Now you know.
There you go Hardy, not for the gael or fíor gael silly things like culture, language or music.  I wonder if they have a dress code - aran jumpers maybe and pints of guinness or cups of tea are their drinks, obviously
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Aghdavoyle

Why is it that you have to be a respecter of the national anthem to play gaelic games?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: bonaduche on March 17, 2010, 10:00:54 AM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 14, 2010, 02:43:58 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on March 14, 2010, 10:52:07 AM
Yis are all a crowd of spas, play it early and play it often. Wtf would you be saving it for? So people never hear it and dont f**king recognise it when they do?

And who gives a f**k what county respects it more, means very little when in the next roar 'yis northern/southern b**tards' is the call...

Spas?... you mean like 'spastic?.... disabled...  :o

..."The medical term "spastic" became used to describe cerebral palsy. The Spastics Society (now called Scope) is a UK charity for people with cerebral palsy, which was founded in 1951...."
i return to another world
you once accused me of baiting a situation
long run the fox     ( but he sometimes gets caught )    strabane abu

I've no idea what this means but it sounds like it might be interesting...

Rossfan

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 17, 2010, 08:59:05 PM

Now you know.
There you go Hardy, not for the gael or fíor gael silly things like culture, language or music.  I wonder if they have a dress code -

Standard dress is a Club mainly or County shower jacket.
Drink depends on age ... Porther or a small wan( Nordies that's a small whiskey) if you're over 40, Guinness or maybe Beer( Smithwicks) for the under 40s
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ardmhachaabu

Rossfan, mine was a joke with a jag.  How can anyone be called a Gael or Fíor Gael if they have no interest in music or language or culture generally? 

Incidentally, I loved the county shower jacket mention - Mrs would tell you that's me to a T
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

lawnseed

so whats the outcome? is the national anthem being debased? I'm as wise as ever except that now i suspect that we nordies have more in common with our immediate adversaries the unionists than with our so called brothers in the 26 counties apart from our love of Gaelic games that is. there is very definite resentment between north and south and its nothing to do with the outcome of football/hurling matches so what is it??
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

pintsofguinness

Now you know.
Sad thing is you're probably serious.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Main Street

Quote from: lawnseed on March 17, 2010, 11:29:18 PM
so whats the outcome? is the national anthem being debased? I'm as wise as ever except that now i suspect that we nordies have more in common with our immediate adversaries the unionists than with our so called brothers in the 26 counties apart from our love of Gaelic games that is. there is very definite resentment between north and south and its nothing to do with the outcome of football/hurling matches so what is it??
apart from our love of Gaelic games?
Only a Nordie would think that anything apart from a shared love of Gaelic games, matters that much in the scheme of things ::)

"Those who play its games, those who organise its activities and
those who control its destinies see in the G.A.A. a means of
consolidating our Irish identity. The games to them are more than
games - they have a national significance ...."

upmonaghansayswe

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 16, 2010, 11:15:21 PM
Also notice now that a lot of people don't take off their caps for the anthem which is the protocol.   

Nothing as silly as those who take off their caps and dont sing. I'm a cap wearing anthem singer, which i think is better than the previous. Taking off a hat is used by many as a get out clause for showing respect. Go and bloody learn the thing and then we can all leave our hats alone! (great rendition in Parnell the other night, got the blood going).