Homophobia...

Started by longrunsthefox, March 11, 2010, 04:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

This poor fellow got some beating... shocking... and tried to blame each other.  Good these two will get their  justice. 

Pair guilty of homophobic murder

Two men have been found guilty of murdering a Dungannon supermarket manager almost two years ago.

Shaun Fitzpatrick, 32, was found dead in an alleyway off the Donaghmore Road in Dungannon early on 23 March 2008.
Andrius Dunauskas, 23, and Raminas Balseris, 26, were found guilty at Dungannon Crown Court.
The pair killed Mr Fitzpatrick because he was gay. He was attacked on his way home after spending the evening in a local bar.

rosnarun

doesnt sound like much of a 'Phobia' to me
intense hatred, dislikle, boneheadedness, stupidity may ne but i dont see the fear
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

5 Sams

Between this one and Heganboys Youtube thread you're in good form tonight Ros na Run....who pissed in your porridge this morning >:(
The Aristocrat Years

Fear Boirche

It's sick that even though people are being beaten to death over their sexuality, unionists still think it's acceptable to through around inflammatory language, as reported in this week's Newry Democrat

Quoteby Claire Treanor
THE Equality Department of Newry and Mourne District Council has been urged to investigate comments made by two councillors about Newry Rainbow Community.

The move follows a stormy monthly meeting of council, during which UKIP's Henry Reilly told the Chamber that homosexuality is "a highly a destructive lifestyle" and the DUP's William Burns described it as "totally unnatural".

Council colleagues slammed the comments and requested that they are now investigated under Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act.

The row erupted after NRC was praised by Sinn Fein's Pat McGinn and the SDLP's Josephine O'Hare for hosting an event in which they participated.

Mrs O'Hare also highlighted the pressures faced by members of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) community which, she said, has high rates of self-harm and suicide amongst members due to the stigma attached to their sexuality.

However councillor Reilly claimed the rates are due to "a highly destructive lifestyle, which should not be encouraged by this council".

Mr Reilly's remarks were met with fury by Mrs O'Hare, who called him a bigot and accused him of twisting her words.

"I totally resent him using my words to condemn an entire section of our community. How dare he? I was making the point that these people need our support and for Henry to take that out of context and use it against them is disgusting," she said.

Other councillors echoed this, with Sinn Fein's Brendan Curran branding the remarks "disgraceful, disgusting and despicable" and Pat McGinn saying that the Mournes representative was "wholly wrong" to voice personal views in the council Chamber.

But Mr Reilly was supported by the DUP's William Burns, who said: "Anyone with any knowledge of God's word knows that what goes on in Newry Rainbow Club is unnatural and totally against the teaching of God".

Now SDLP councillor Gary Stokes has requested that both councillors' comments are investigated by the council's Equality Officer. "Comments like those made by both Henry Reilly and William Burns contravene Section 75 of the Northern Ireland Act and are not in any way representative of council or council policy," he said.

A council spokeswoman said the council cannot action or implement any item referred to in the council meeting until the minutes of the meeting are adopted at April's monthly meeting.

Legal threat over comments
NEWRY Rainbow Community secretary Damian McKevitt has called for an immediate retraction of the "deplorable and dangerous" remarks made by councillors Henry Reilly and William Burns at the latest monthly council meeting.

"Just as with the debacle with Iris Robinson, who suggested that gay people are somehow sick and can be cured, it is equally unacceptable that Newry and Mourne civic leaders and elected representatives feel they can make such ill-informed, hurtful and judgemental comments in the council Chamber. It's scandalous and I demand an immediate retraction," he said.

"It's comments like these, by people in public life, that create an environment where young, vulnerable people can feel that there is something wrong with them. These are the type of comments that reinforce stigma and prejudice and that can drive people to suicide or self-harm. Mr Reilly speaks of destructive lifestyles but it's comments like his that can destroy lives.

"Would it be acceptable for a public representative to say that Black and Minority Ethnic people lead destructive lives?"

Mr McKevitt said that Newry Rainbow Community works hard to counter all manifestations of homophobia and intolerance and to make a positive contribution to the Newry and Mourne area.

"In particular we have been proactive in trying to engage in a positive manner with our civic and community leaders. I would invite Mr Reilly and Mr Burns to meet with us, either publicly or in private, to discuss this further.

"From a personal perspective, as the person who helped organise the discussion event that councillor Reilly hijacked to use as a platform for a vitriolic verbal attack on gay people based on prejudice, ignorance and homophobia, I find it absolutely abhorrent and unacceptable that a public representative should have the audacity to state in an elected chamber that I lead a destructive life. Let councillor Reilly prove that I lead a destructive life or provide me with a full and public apology."

Mr McKevitt said he now intends contacting UKIP's Party Executive to clarify if Mr Reilly's comments are in line with party's policies.

"I have also requested a full transcript of the discussion which took place in Newry and Mourne District Council chamber on Monday March 1 2010 and will be pursuing the matter further," he added.

Minder

Is it possible to have a thread on this board minus the politics?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Minder on March 11, 2010, 08:29:59 PM

you are joking, aren't ya?  :D

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

What is a UKIP councillor doing in Newry? Was he actually elected as a UKIP candidate, or, as I suspect, a UUP member who subsequently defected?

There must be an election coming. Obviously, the gays are the new Taigs in some unionist circles, and a nice, wee easy target to rile up good 'God fearing' folk..pathetic.
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

5 Sams

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on March 11, 2010, 09:23:03 PM
What is a UKIP councillor doing in Newry? Was he actually elected as a UKIP candidate, or, as I suspect, a UUP member who subsequently defected?

There must be an election coming. Obviously, the gays are the new Taigs in some unionist circles, and a nice, wee easy target to rile up good 'God fearing' folk..pathetic.

Kilkeel...does that answer your question....lot of eejits down that neck of the woods and they're not all from Longstone!!
The Aristocrat Years

Yes I Would

The biggest show in the country had this clown on this morning...
Complete WUM, but some poor oul ones gay 17 year old heard yir mans ranting, and fled to his room in tears! 

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

I guess you wouldn't leave your room at 17yo if you thought, just cos I fancy my mate I could be kicked to death.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Minder on March 11, 2010, 08:29:59 PM

Sure you have soccer threads, women threads, music threads, tv threads etc etc...
Personally I think that anyone who is homophobic is an idiot and a lot worse.
Tbc....

longrunsthefox

It is somewhat of an irony that the attack was carried out by members of another minority group that are often victimised and discriminated against.   

ziggysego

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 12, 2010, 09:35:57 AM
It is somewhat of an irony that the attack was carried out by members of another minority group that are often victimised and discriminated against.

As long as people don't use this as an excuse to say 'foreigners' shouldn't be coming over.
Testing Accessibility

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Can I ask a genuine question? Does anyone in here know any gay fellahs? And if they do, do they know, or in anyway appreciate what it's like to be gay and therefore be bullied, humiliated or victimised as a gay lad? I ask the question as I think that the whole gay question in Ireland is obviously swept very much under the carpet.

Minder

I know a few queers, male and female.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"