God Save the Queen - No More?

Started by Hurler on the Bitch, March 10, 2010, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Quote from: T Fearon on March 12, 2010, 02:35:37 PM
Quite simply, the fact that there is a split in Irish soccer (forced and maintained by the Belfast based IFA) is beyond the FAI's wishes and control, they aspire to represent everyone on the island

What changes are the FAI proposing to put into place to represent everyone on the island, to make me feel welcome they would need to change the anthem (not just augment another one along side the present one) and a flag more representative of both north and south would be appreciated, also would like to seem some safeguard in place that matches be held in both belfast and dublin so that it doesn't become like the rugby.

T Fearon

If the two bodies unite, surely there will no longer be an FAI, or IFA, but an entirely new body with a new name to administer football on an island wide basis.Its not a question of a takeover but an agreed way forward by everyone,based solely on how football can be best promoted.

There isn't a stadium in Belfast fit to host anything presently, if the North of Ireland fans hadn't scuppered the Maze project it would have been half built by now.

I'm sure an agreement can be reached on flags and anthems etc

GetOffThePitch

Quote from: T Fearon on March 12, 2010, 03:29:47 PM
If the two bodies unite, surely there will no longer be an FAI, or IFA, but an entirely new body with a new name to administer football on an island wide basis.Its not a question of a takeover but an agreed way forward by everyone,based solely on how football can be best promoted.

There isn't a stadium in Belfast fit to host anything presently, if the North of Ireland fans hadn't scuppered the Maze project it would have been half built by now.

you think? To be honest as i see it the demonstration of hardline loyalism at Windsor Park has been made taboo, but its still there under the surface.  I think the chances of an all-ireland national side are incredibly minimal.

Olaf

.......... just like the good job that the IRFU made of the rugby?

T Fearon

Getoffthepitch. The chances are minimal principally due to the politically inspired opposition by the IFA and its monocultural supporters. However the flow of young nationalists to the FAI is already causing rethinks to take place re anthems etc so who knows? Change is happening and at an incredible pace.

delboy

Quote from: Olaf on March 12, 2010, 03:39:19 PM

Exactlty, the anthem would have to go, the flag would have to change and it could not be allowed to become solely based in dublin, no point swapping one supposed monocultural setup for another.

Olaf

Quote from: delboy on March 12, 2010, 03:52:03 PM

Exactlty, the anthem would have to go, the flag would have to change and it could not be allowed to become solely based in dublin, no point swapping one supposed monocultural setup for another.

..was being a tad sarcastic. Hope you picked that up :-\

ziggysego

Could have two anthems for the two communities in the north, if / when the two soccer bodies merge. Londonderry Air for the Protestants and Danny Boy for the Catholics.
Testing Accessibility

delboy

Quote from: Olaf on March 12, 2010, 04:18:54 PM

I took it to mean that you thought the IRFU hadn't done a good job of respresenting both north and south and i was saying that we should have real changes like the ones i listed so that its truly representative.

delboy

Quote from: ziggysego on March 12, 2010, 04:33:04 PM
Could have two anthems for the two communities in the north, if / when the two soccer bodies merge. Londonderry Air for the Protestants and Danny Boy for the Catholics.

:D

Seriously though it would have to be one anthem, not one for us and one for them, not a fudge like the rugby, one anthem something like dannyboy which has no real connations attached to it would be fine.

Olaf

Quote from: delboy on March 12, 2010, 04:34:24 PM
Quote from: Olaf on March 12, 2010, 04:18:54 PM

I took it to mean that you thought the IRFU hadn't done a good job of respresenting both north and south and i was saying that we should have real changes like the ones i listed so that its truly representative.

You did pick it up then :)

THe IRFU clearly acknowledges  one political  jurisdiction and not the other .

deiseach

Quote from: ziggysego on March 12, 2010, 04:33:04 PM

+1

The anthems issue is a red herring. Fair play to the boys who admit that the IFA could do everything short of disbanding and they still wouldn't cheer for NI. Why should they alienate some of their current supporters to entice people who will never give NI the time of day?

nifan

QuoteWhy should they alienate some of their current supporters to entice people who will never give NI the time of day?

They shouldnt, but should change it for the right reasons.
Id get rid of it as the UK anthem if possible, but failing that from the NI team would be a good start.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Common sense seys (sic) this island is only big enough for one successful league and that the international team would be better off as a single entity.

But feck the wee six and the IFA and the scum they bring with them, is it really worth it. Let them slip into the hole which is fast approaching, no more glory days boys enjoy your outings in the "celtic" cup.

"northern" Ireland soccer team is now only a vehicle to drag out and try and legitimise this fantasy of a state, now highjacked by loyalists to try and prove a culture.
Tbc....

Olaf

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on March 12, 2010, 11:10:35 PM

But feck the wee six and the IFA and the scum they bring with them,
is it really worth it. Let them slip into the hole which is fast approaching, no more glory days boys enjoy your outings in the "celtic" cup.

"northern" Ireland soccer team is now only a vehicle to drag out and try and legitimise this fantasy of a state, now highjacked by loyalists to try and prove a culture.

Scum?  ::) Wonderful sentiment.

The state is legitimised at Stormont, not Windsor Park.

Bring on the Italians :)