No booze for rugby fans on Good Friday

Started by longrunsthefox, March 09, 2010, 10:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should pubs be allowed to open all day Good friday in Ireland?

Yes-all day, law is outdated
36 (62.1%)
just specila exemptions like this rugby game
2 (3.4%)
No-keep the law as it is
20 (34.5%)

Total Members Voted: 58

longrunsthefox

Long piece but interesting imo (pardon the spelling mistakes in poll options) .. seems they can't get a refixture for another day.. I cut some of article out but they go on about loss of revenue etc..

The Long Good Friday for rugby fans
Munster v Leinster is a mouth-watering clash for any rugby fan, but most drinkers in the Irish Republic wanting to toast the Magners League fixture in a bar next month will have to leave the country.
It may be sponsored by a Tipperary cider company, but as the fixture has been scheduled for Good Friday, it has fallen foul of legal laws which prevent the opening of pubs on the Christian holy day.
Alcohol can be consumed inside the stadium, but pubs will not be allowed to serve customers on their premises.

The Vintners Federation of Ireland has taken legal advice over the matter and hope to get a six hour exemption for the 26,000 sell-out game at Munster's historic Thomond Park venue in Limerick.
The chairman of the Limerick City Vintners, Jerry O'Dea, said his organisation had already had a "productive" preliminary meeting with local police chief superintendent Dave Sheahan and would have a further discussion later on Tuesday.

Limerick publican, former Munster and Ireland rugby prop Peter Clohessy, who owns the Sin Bin nightclub in the city has described the decision to schedule the game for Good Friday as "absolutely scandalous".
He said the "sensible thing" would be to switch it to Thursday or Saturday.

Limerick publicans want an exemption to serve alcohol on Good Friday
Limerick City Council has also voiced its opposition to the game being scheduled for Good Friday and its mayor, Kevin Kiely said a letter would be sent to the Leinster branch of the Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) who requested the fixture date.

...only time will tell whether Irish drinkers are able to sample a Magners in their local hostlery on Good Friday.
At Thomond Park itself, however the booze ban does not apply.
Munster Rugby is currently advertising match day hospitality for the Leinster game on its website with benefits including four bottles of wine per table and a "full drinks service available pre and post match".

gerry

Long article so never read it fox but heard it on liveline last week. So what., its good friday they can not have a pint. They should come up to the occupied six and drink all day.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Denn Forever

Munster Rugby is currently advertising match day hospitality for the Leinster game on its website with benefits including four bottles of wine per table and a "full drinks service available pre and post match".

I'd say it will  be the hottest ticket in town.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Denn Forever on March 09, 2010, 10:21:35 PM

I'd say it will  be the hottest ticket in town.

They are saying that people won't be able to watch it in pubs... anyway for what it's worth I think this law has passed its sell by date and if people want to observe Good Friday they can do so without forcing others to.

gerry

Drink ban applies t pubs only so i say head to the hotels
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Orior

Is there anyone in the world (besides me) who can enjoy themselves without sipping the devils brew?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Orior on March 09, 2010, 10:31:51 PM
Is there anyone in the world (besides me) who can enjoy themselves without sipping the devils brew?

Iris Robinson  :o

ziggysego

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 09, 2010, 10:33:48 PM

Iris Robinson  :o

Wasn't that her nickname for young Kirk?
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

I can orior but they should be open.

Flew home on a good friday a couple of years ago and there was a crowd of english ones going to dublin on a stag weekend. 
I don't think any of the Irish on the plane had the heart to break the bad news....
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 09, 2010, 10:37:56 PM
I can orior but they should be open.

Flew home on a good friday a couple of years ago and there was a crowd of english ones going to dublin on a stag weekend. 
I don't think any of the Irish on the plane had the heart to break the bad news....
What pints says. If you want to observe the holy day you'll not do it in the pub. If people want to open their pubs then let them go ahead. The law has run its course.

BallyhaiseMan

Outdated stupid law,which should be gotten rid of.

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: gerry on March 09, 2010, 10:19:54 PM
Long article so never read it fox but heard it on liveline last week. So what., its good friday they can not have a pint. They should come up to the occupied six and drink all day.

sorry? the day of the secret door rap in the Six? We are as bad as them'uns!

Keyser soze

This is all news to me. I've spent many a good friday in a pub south of the border.

'It's Good Friday, we're closed, come in quick and don't be stannin out there all day till the whole town sees ye'

Bogball XV

What I find stupid about the whole thing is how they're talking about the blow to the Limerick economy, to me that's shite, whilst it might be a boon to Limerick, it means that the attendees will have less discretionary spending elsewhere in the country.  It's therefore really just a way of transferring wealth from Dublin/Cork to Limerick, there's no new money involved, it's all irish.
It's like those idiot politicans who go out and cut the ribbons at a new shopping centre talking about how 40,000 jobs have just been created (or some other outlandish figure plucked from the sky), and then a year later are talking about how it's a disgrace that all the small local shops have closed down and that approx 40,000 jobs have been lost to the local economy.  In short, imo, if it's not some foreigner's money, it doesn't count.
As for the Good Friday thing, used to bother me when I were younger, now, I couldn't care less - sort of like it tbh.

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: gerry on March 09, 2010, 10:19:54 PM

Are pubs in the North not shut until 5:00pm??
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties