Derry v Mayo, Celtic Park - 13/3/2010

Started by Barney, March 08, 2010, 08:30:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Dubs won by 5. I thought Tyrone had lost, must have gotten a last minute goal
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

rosnarun

not as huge change on last week as we might hope. Derry were scoring at will for a lot of the second half. Mayo's goals were a tad fortunate thatand a wee improvement in the shooting dept  just saw the through. Having said that mayos wide were more about the quality than quanity. Im particular sos and parson had very poor effortsat badtimes.
Overall though it was more of wha we have come to expect from mayo brazilian style when oppsition has the ball mayo seems to wait till they tire of it and they play some brilliant ball when they have it.
Lots of plusses though
Dillion back looking good as ever , flawless from dead ball
  Aiden ose getting a bit of form
Varley looking the real mccoy.
Liam o malley and chris barrett both very solid and will be pushing for places
if nothing else at lesast we shouls div 1 football next year

If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: whiskeysteve on March 11, 2010, 11:24:17 AM
Derry V Mayo in Celtic Park. For whatever reason we seem to be very strong in these circumstances. I can see us winning by at least 5 and im not being cocky or disrespectful in the slightest, it just always seems to be a big factor for us. We have a great league record in Celtic Park against many teams including Mayo and when we are on the front foot we can be very good. In saying that, championship would be a very different matter no doubt, particularly for us.

Good Work Mystic Meg !

Next time you decide to put the blink on someone can you leave Derry out of it please ?

Feel free to give your prediction on the Galway vs Tyrone game next weekend  ;)
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on March 13, 2010, 11:46:08 PM
Derry V Mayo in Celtic Park. For whatever reason we seem to be very strong in these circumstances. I can see us winning by at least 5 and im not being cocky or disrespectful in the slightest, it just always seems to be a big factor for us. We have a great league record in Celtic Park against many teams including Mayo and when we are on the front foot we can be very good. In saying that, championship would be a very different matter no doubt, particularly for us.

Good Work Mystic Meg !

Next time you decide to put the blink on someone can you leave Derry out of it please ?

Its the first time Mayo have took points off Derry since 1990. When you ally that with Derrys record in Celtic Park in the league I'm not embarrassed in the slightest by saying I could see a 5 point victory.

To be fair I also made that post before the teams were announced so I jumped the gun maybe. I didn't bother going because of club game in Cookstown beforehand so cant speak for what happened but the experimental lineout did not inspire confidence (fergal doc at half forward, etc).

I predict Tyrone beat Galway by 10 with Colm Cavanagh playing a blinder
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: whiskeysteve on March 14, 2010, 12:33:10 AM

Good Work Mystic Meg !

Its the first time Mayo have took points off Derry since 1990. When you ally that with Derrys record in Celtic Park in the league I'm not embarrassed in the slightest by saying I could see a 5 point victory.

To be fair I also made that post before the teams were announced so I jumped the gun maybe. I didn't bother going because of club game in Cookstown beforehand so cant speak for what happened but the experimental lineout did not inspire confidence (fergal doc at half forward, etc).

Fair enough Whiskey

I wasn't too surprised that a lineup which reflected a fair amount of jiggery pokery on the part of Cass found it tough against a Mayo team that's been very much a form team.  From what i heard they were unlucky not to end up with the points from their game against Dublin.

But in fairness, if you're going to dabble in a bit of jiggery pokery, then i guess the league is the time to do it.

Next two games are crunch time, win against Monaghan next weekend is vital.  I see Padraig hughes is on duty for that game   :-X  Can't say that instils me with a great deal of confidence !  I've seen him at work a couple of times in the last few months ...

I like your latest prediction, i'l subscribe to a bit of that there please  ;D
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 11, 2010, 07:15:30 PM

I thought the exact same thing when ye came to Ballina last year. Jeez, Mayo mustn't have lost a league game there in donkeys years, then ye came along. Hopefully we can gain some 'revenge' but it's doubtful somehow!

I'm glad I was wrong. We got a bit of 'revenge'. :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 14, 2010, 08:36:17 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 11, 2010, 07:15:30 PM

I thought the exact same thing when ye came to Ballina last year. Jeez, Mayo mustn't have lost a league game there in donkeys years, then ye came along. Hopefully we can gain some 'revenge' but it's doubtful somehow!

I'm glad I was wrong. We got a bit of 'revenge'. :P

After the Dubs taking our 1992 record V them in McHale Park it was nice to rob someone else of their record againts us at their home ground.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

Rob Murphy for MWR has to be the worst commentator in Ireland. :-\

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 14, 2010, 10:09:31 PM

What brought that on?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on March 14, 2010, 10:20:12 PM

What brought that on?

Listening to him last night, he did nothing for the game I thought.

RedandGreenSniper

Couldn't disagree more. Find him very good to be honest. Knows the game and his commentary has a good flow to it. All in all though a good result up there. Well worth the journey even though I didn't make it in confidence.

The goals did come at great times and almost out of nothing. But Mayo were under pressure when Derry pegged it back to three points but we showed good composure and kicked the next three points to close out the game.

Dillon made a huge difference. He was immense. Every time he got the ball he was a step ahead of everyone else. Great to have him back. Varley was sharp too and Mortimer will do well to overtake him. Andy mixed the good with the bad, so did Trevor Mort. Seamie O'Shea was very solid. We were poor at midfield. Conroy didn't get into it and Parsons was very frustrating.

Trevor Howley was very good at centre-half back and while I'm not his biggest fan, Liam O'Malley put in a great performance. Keith Higgins was, yet again, in a different class with some of his cover play. Unfortunately Ger Cafferkey continues to struggle and was far too easily pushed off it by Eoghan Bradley.

Kevin McLoughlin and Aidan O'Shea were the two Under 21s who played. O'Shea mixed the good with the bad. Did well for his goal and point and created a huge nuisance value but his handling was off. McLoughlin wasn't too involved but I feel for the two of them, playing four big games in 10 days. Not easy and probably not fair either.

Curious to see what some of the Derry lads think - very poor crowd by the way - but if I was a Derry buck I'd be pulling my hair out with some of their play.

Good two points for Mayo. A good reaction to the Dublin game but we'll know more after the twin trips south.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Looks like most teams are finding it difficult to find defenders to cope with the top forwards. Likes of Donaghy, Cooper, Meehan, Brogans, Bradleys seem to have the edge all the time. Caff is not the only fb struggling but he is going to struggle and some of us knew this would happen. Thing is he could be such a top quality hb.

Zhukov

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on March 14, 2010, 10:56:57 PM

Couldn't disagree more. Find him very good to be honest. Knows the game and his commentary has a good flow to it. All in all though a good result up there. Well worth the journey even though I didn't make it in confidence.

The goals did come at great times and almost out of nothing. But Mayo were under pressure when Derry pegged it back to three points but we showed good composure and kicked the next three points to close out the game.

Dillon made a huge difference. He was immense. Every time he got the ball he was a step ahead of everyone else. Great to have him back. Varley was sharp too and Mortimer will do well to overtake him. Andy mixed the good with the bad, so did Trevor Mort. Seamie O'Shea was very solid. We were poor at midfield. Conroy didn't get into it and Parsons was very frustrating.

Trevor Howley was very good at centre-half back and while I'm not his biggest fan, Liam O'Malley put in a great performance. Keith Higgins was, yet again, in a different class with some of his cover play. Unfortunately Ger Cafferkey continues to struggle and was far too easily pushed off it by Eoghan Bradley.

Kevin McLoughlin and Aidan O'Shea were the two Under 21s who played. O'Shea mixed the good with the bad. Did well for his goal and point and created a huge nuisance value but his handling was off. McLoughlin wasn't too involved but I feel for the two of them, playing four big games in 10 days. Not easy and probably not fair either.

Curious to see what some of the Derry lads think - very poor crowd by the way - but if I was a Derry buck I'd be pulling my hair out with some of their play.
Good two points for Mayo. A good reaction to the Dublin game but we'll know more after the twin trips south.

firstly, congrats to mayo, fully derserved winners

the crowd wouldnt be my worry, more our team in general. No Strength in depth, exposed full back line, in-fighting as ever...................we'll be lucky to trouble Amagh

jodyb

Quote from: whiskeysteve on March 14, 2010, 12:33:10 AM

Good Work Mystic Meg !

I beg to differ there whiskey. Mayo beat us soundly on at least 2 occasions in the last 10-12 years in the league. 2002 in Crossmolina and a year or 2 before that in a pissing wet Charlestown (I think - all i know for sure is that i got f**king drenched and Derry got hammered >:()

rosnarun

Quote from: moysider on March 14, 2010, 11:45:44 PM

Looks like most teams are finding it difficult to find defenders to cope with the top forwards. Likes of Donaghy, Cooper, Meehan, Brogans, Bradleys seem to have the edge all the time. Caff is not the only fb struggling but he is going to struggle and some of us knew this would happen. Thing is he could be such a top quality hb.
never saw any evidence in a mayo jersey to support that . I have yet to see him play for mayo and look anything other than completley at sea. he seems incapable of either securely catching a ball or knocking it to saftey . he  nevr looks in control of the ball when soloing and forwards see to be able to round him at will.
I seriously doubt JOM will give him many more chances at least this year. only problem is that some much tiem had been invested in this Project there is not natural alternate  on the bench . Feeny is obviously not trusted either or would have got league time before now. how about promoting Shane Machale from the u21's, a long shot but we need to to have a replacement in for summer if not the league will have been a wasted opportunity however the rest of the results go
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere