What is 'discussion?'

Started by longrunsthefox, March 07, 2010, 10:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

I have been wondering what people on here think the word 'discussion' means... as in GAA Discussion Board. More and more I see when people don't agree with some-one's viewpoint, they move in to take out the man (woman) rather than adressing the arguements they are making. Hence comments like... you are talking shite... you are full of shite... and other worse insults which really mean nothing. Was a popular tactic of the GPA during the 'Pay for Play' row, known as playing the man rather than the ball. It often then descends into trading insults which is hardly discussion.... any thoughts.... (no prizes for saying I am talking shite here  ::)

pintsofguinness

One of your posts from last night...
QuoteFox didn't say that dungbag- I said they deserved the chance at rehabilitation as they were children themselves. Whether they can be is up to the authorities to find out.   You have proposed the hanging of ten year olds... Jesus help us.
I have children myself and know wat these boys did was horrific.
You are like the assholes stand outside court houses waving nooses and kicking the side of prison vans....
you care so much about Jamie Bolger, have you writen to his mother with your support or is it just the need to satisfy your own anger and need for vengeance?

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

longrunsthefox

Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 07, 2010, 11:49:51 AM
One of your posts from last night...
QuoteFox didn't say that dungbag- I said they deserved the chance at rehabilitation as they were children themselves. Whether they can be is up to the authorities to find out.   You have proposed the hanging of ten year olds... Jesus help us.
I have children myself and know wat these boys did was horrific.
You are like the assholes stand outside court houses waving nooses and kicking the side of prison vans....
you care so much about Jamie Bolger, have you writen to his mother with your support or is it just the need to satisfy your own anger and need for vengeance?

He drew first blood and quoted me as saying stuff I never even said. Fair enough-I stooped to his level with the name calling though I did continue to discuss the matter.

THE DADGA

long runs the fox you really need to go get a hobby mate other than sitting in front of a computer/iphone. Go write a few short stories, or better still, go read a few long ones.

longrunsthefox

deiseach

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 07, 2010, 10:57:09 AM
I have been wondering what people on here think the word 'discussion' means... as in GAA Discussion Board. More and more I see when people don't agree with some-one's viewpoint, they move in to take out the man (woman) rather than adressing the arguements they are making. Hence comments like... you are talking shite... you are full of shite... and other worse insults which really mean nothing. Was a popular tactic of the GPA during the 'Pay for Play' row, known as playing the man rather than the ball. It often then descends into trading insults which is hardly discussion.... any thoughts.... (no prizes for saying I am talking shite here  ::))

That's the way of the web. I'm convinced that one of the reasons for the rise of Twitter is that you can put something out there without trolls abusing you from the safety of their keyboard - they may be doing it on their own tweets but you don't have to read it. Good luck with trying to rise above it

ziggysego

Quote from: deiseach on March 07, 2010, 06:12:09 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 07, 2010, 10:57:09 AM
I have been wondering what people on here think the word 'discussion' means... as in GAA Discussion Board. More and more I see when people don't agree with some-one's viewpoint, they move in to take out the man (woman) rather than adressing the arguements they are making. Hence comments like... you are talking shite... you are full of shite... and other worse insults which really mean nothing. Was a popular tactic of the GPA during the 'Pay for Play' row, known as playing the man rather than the ball. It often then descends into trading insults which is hardly discussion.... any thoughts.... (no prizes for saying I am talking shite here  ::))

That's the way of the web. I'm convinced that one of the reasons for the rise of Twitter is that you can put something out there without trolls abusing you from the safety of their keyboard - they may be doing it on their own tweets but you don't have to read it. Good luck with trying to rise above it

You can get abuse sent to you on Twitter.
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Quote from: ziggysego on March 07, 2010, 11:17:43 PM
You can get abuse sent to you on Twitter.

Just as well I don't bother with it then

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Alot of self righteous blinkered lads on here who take themselves way too seriously!

P.s Twitter, is it not just e-mail/facebook under a different name?
Tbc....

ziggysego

Basically a mini-blog, where you can post anything up to 140 characters in length. Closest thing I can think of, is the status on Facebook.
Testing Accessibility

charlieTully

Quote from: ziggysego on March 08, 2010, 12:06:06 AM
Basically a mini-blog, where you can post anything up to 140 characters in length. Closest thing I can think of, is the status on Facebook.

is it not just a forum for stephen fry to tell the world he has just polished off another fry. fat ****.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Ziggy I know what twitter is, kinda just saying it's pointless.
What about my other point?
Tbc....

deiseach

Quote from: charlieTully on March 08, 2010, 12:31:08 AM

is it not just a forum for stephen fry to tell the world he has just polished off another fry. fat ****.

Have you seen him recently? There's more meat on a butcher's pencil

charlieTully

Quote from: deiseach on March 08, 2010, 12:35:09 AM
Quote from: charlieTully on March 08, 2010, 12:31:08 AM

Have you seen him recently? There's more meat on a butcher's pencil

no, hard to imagine him skinny like catboy.

deiseach