Top Ten Grounds In Ireland

Started by joebloggs, February 08, 2007, 04:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snatter

RE Armagh
Quotewaiting to use the Maze/Long Kesh as their home ground or are the county Board going to finish the Athelic Grounds

Is the maze not in County Down?

paddypastit

Just did a bit of totting there.  At a guess, I'd say that the 9 grounds referred after Croke Pk host between them (counting provincial cups, NL, provincial championship, qualifiers and All Ireland series) all told about 100 - 115 games - an average of 10 - 12, at which very few if any times is capacity reached - provinciial =finals and the odd 'derby' championship match (Galway Mayo might fill McHale / Pearse Stadium in May / June but Galway or Mayo vs. Sligo or Leitrim won't)

No logic to spending more money adding capacity.  Build the smaller more atmospheric stadia as someone suggested (in fairness Brewster Park in Enniskillen is a good example of one in that space - I assume it's being out of commission is temporary) and invest in the facilities in the ones that are ther - for example in McHale Park, instead of adding 'capacity' for an extra 15,000 that at best will get used once every two years, if they are lucky, why not drain, relay and maintain the pitch; replace the concrete seats that were referred to above (a relic of an impoverished past if ever there was one) and extend the existing stand that runs between the 2 45s out to cover more seats. Add in modern toilet and catering facilities and I'd happliy wager that they'd get the extra 15,000 souls easily attending across all the lower attendance matches including club games in any given two year period, and all hapopier punters willing to come back again rather than shoo-ins for the local docter's surgey on a monday morning looking for a remedy for their death of cold contracted thrown frozen buttocks on stone seats or a drowning out in the open.

Just a view.
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

joebloggs

was anyone able to get any photos for this?

AMayoSheep

Isnt Pairc Ui Chaoimh and Thurles being done up?
Thaught i heard something like that a few months ago...if they are anybidy know what sort of plans are in store?

MaroonAndWhite

Tuam Stadium as is is a complete crap heap but hopefull wyhen the redevelopment is completed theyll take the football games outta Paerse. No atmosphere and a bloody wind tunnell which could ruin the best of games on the finest summers day. Sea breeze is not agreeing with the footballers of Galway at the moment obviously either!!!

anportmorforjfc

An Portmor football pitch is the best in armagh  ;D

Farrandeelin

Quote from: MaroonAndWhite on February 13, 2007, 06:33:45 PM
Tuam Stadium as is is a complete crap heap but hopefull wyhen the redevelopment is completed theyll take the football games outta Paerse.

Totally agree especially as Stephenite mentioned in terms of access.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Redgreenery

Quote from: MacDanger on February 09, 2007, 03:54:21 AM
Is Roscommon not a disaster for getting into/out of?? When choosing which stadia to upgrade, ease of access should be v high on the list?

I remember about 2 years ago we parked in the housing estate across from Dr. Hyde park, Roscommon and we were sitting in the car after the game for a good hour in the housing estate!! It was just as bad if not worse than a big game in Croke Park.

misterroscommonman

da hyde is da best stadium eva!!!! ;D