Question about religion/worship

Started by delboy, March 04, 2010, 04:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

I was going to post this question in the religion thread but i thought it might get lost in amongst all the other stuff about peados etc.

I was wondering what is the purpose of religion/worship does god get excited about how many people sing to him on a Sunday or is it more about they way god wants us to live our lives (as good people presumably).

Take for instance a person living somewhere like the amazon rainforest who has never had any contact with the outside world and knows nothing of god/Jehovah/Christ yet they live out their life without sin, they don't steal, they don't murder, the treat others like they would like to be treated etc, basically all the things would be expected from the teachings of the bible everything bar the singing on a Sunday.

Despite leading this perfect life and without the need for the carrot/incentive of eternal life held out as part of Christianity would they being going to hell?

pintsofguinness

I think if there is a God, who does and doesnt go to mass (to sit day dreaming about something)  is the least of his worries.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

whiskeysteve

Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ardmhachaabu

The community thing definitely Denn, for me it's also about living your life to a certain set of moral values and having a personal relationship with God.  If you have children, it's about teaching them right from wrong and to love God
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Maguire01

People worship/go to mass etc to make them feel better about/within themselves. In my opinion. And before anyone starts, i'm not saying that as a bad thing necessarily - just the way I see it.

Maguire01

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 04, 2010, 07:05:36 PM
The community thing definitely Denn, for me it's also about living your life to a certain set of moral values and having a personal relationship with God.  If you have children, it's about teaching them right from wrong and to love God
You don't need religion or prayer to teach children right from wrong, or to supply moral values - teaching a child the difference between right and wrong should be an integral part of raising a child.

theskull1

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 04, 2010, 07:05:36 PM

You don't need religion to define moral values btw (ask a priest :P ) .

Rather than people being overly concerned about having a personal relationship with god, I'd rather see people live out a purpose driven life. We'd be all the better for it. So many who eat the alter rails offer very little to community activity 10 yards beyond the chapel door (just making sure that the SVDP were included in that statement)  :)

Teaching a child to love god should be called threatening a child??? From a childs perspective as long as they love god it means that they won't go to hideous hell......what to do ??????

God: - "Believe or Burn in Hell"
Child: - "Thankyou forgiving lord for all those options"
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

ardmhachaabu

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something