County Nick Names

Started by Dinny Breen, February 08, 2007, 03:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: ONeill on February 15, 2007, 07:19:40 PM
Is it fernenst you mean, as in fernenst the wall? Leaning on the wall.

Aye. That would be the one.

Longford Granny also used to call the footpath the 'towpath' (I assume this is a canal connection and not a 'toepath')

Hardy

In my childhood it was pronounced 'fornent' and meant specifically 'opposite', not 'against', or 'on'. The chapel was fornent the school. Problem is, I can't remember whether it was my Meath father and neighbours or my Wexford/Wicklow mother's people or both that used it.

ludermor

Lar,
see the link below (hope this works) for the word Latchiko

http://www.hiberno-english.com/archive.php
Must say ive been called a latchiko a few time myself
The hiberno-english site is very good i even for a word my mother used to say to me (and still does) called mallafoosther has anyone else heard this word?

AZOffaly

I used to hear that as Malfoosterer, someone who was akward. That midfielder is an awful malfoosterer

ONeill

Quote from: Hardy on February 15, 2007, 09:00:41 PM
In my childhood it was pronounced 'fornent' and meant specifically 'opposite', not 'against', or 'on'. The chapel was fornent the school. Problem is, I can't remember whether it was my Meath father and neighbours or my Wexford/Wicklow mother's people or both that used it.

Aye, against as well.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Hardy

That Hiberno-English site is good - didn't know it existed. It seems to cover all the bases on the origins of 'culchie', though:
// n. derogatory a person from rural Ireland < ? shortened form of agricultural, or someone from Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo (regarded (wrongly) as a remote place), or a form of Ir. coillteach n. a wooded place, adj. woody, sylvan; 'I've heard it derived from 'cul an tí' (back of the house', Kathleen Moynihan/Kerry. Dubliners are sometimes referred to as 'culchies', Kevin Denny/Dublin; O'Connor, Red Roses and Petrol, 38: "'He said he was a culchie little chancer who plamased (q.v.) his way to the top".

(I don't jknow where they got "Dubliners are sometimes referred to as 'culchies'", though).

Hardy

Quote from: Hardy on February 16, 2007, 08:09:53 AM
That Hiberno-English site is good - didn't know it existed. It seems to cover all the bases on the origins of 'culchie', though:
// n. derogatory a person from rural Ireland < ? shortened form of agricultural, or someone from Kiltimagh, Co. Mayo (regarded (wrongly) as a remote place), or a form of Ir. coillteach n. a wooded place, adj. woody, sylvan; 'I've heard it derived from 'cul an tí' (back of the house', Kathleen Moynihan/Kerry. Dubliners are sometimes referred to as 'culchies', Kevin Denny/Dublin; O'Connor, Red Roses and Petrol, 38: "'He said he was a culchie little chancer who plamased (q.v.) his way to the top".

(I don't jknow where they got "Dubliners are sometimes referred to as 'culchies'", though. I 'm sure they're misinterpreting that quote).

Lar Naparka

Hardy, did you get to hear Terry Phelan today?
I had checked out the Moncrieff schedule on-line and it stated, clear as day, that Terry's slot was from 3.00pm to 3.30.
So I tuned in at five to three only to get the last few sentences from him. Now I still don't know the origins of the word, "Culchie." Apparently he was on a half hour earlier than advertised.
The Hiberno Irish site is very interesting okay but as it seems to only give the opinions of those who write in it can't be taken as definitive for any of the words or phrases it deals with.
For all I know, since I missed the broadcast I don't know if Terry even got to dealing with my submission.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hardy

Lar - I did the very same, but didn't tune in until 3:00, so didn't even get his last few sentences. Worse, this meant that I didn't know he had been on, so I spent the next hour or so listening to Barbie's Granny (now calling herself Aaaaaadele King) until I decided he wasn't just late and wouldn't be coming on.

So like you, I still don't know the derivation of 'culchie'. I did, though, have an hour to ponder the definitions of "battleaxe", "wagon" and "crazy oul' bat".