Quote from: ziggysego on March 09, 2010, 10:34:20 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on March 09, 2010, 10:29:20 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 09, 2010, 10:24:52 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on March 09, 2010, 10:23:37 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on March 09, 2010, 10:18:14 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on March 09, 2010, 10:15:48 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on March 09, 2010, 10:12:24 PM
Get that off the f**king board!

relax man, only a rumour... hearsay, alleged, i'd say its you who needs to get off ths f**king board tho

Pints is right in this case, you shouldn't be posting name's on the Internet. Rumours or not.

cheshire constabulary on here regularly? its ok to debate paul galvin's persona in a public domain which he might come across but not a random name of someone whom may or may not even exist? and IF it was venables who did this and this is his new name, whats the big deal?  ???

In this case, I'm thinking of David Calvert.

Venables is in custody... so do you think someone will tell him his secret is out and its on here? or will the real Dave Calvert come on here and say thanks for proving once and for all he is an innocent man!?!

What?  :o

Ack, I can't be bothered anymore. This thread makes me angry.

Tell me about it... Leenie uses my name to title and start the thread  :-\

sammymaguire

fair enough but whatever the guy has done to be banged up again (and it is worrying the authorities are being so tight lipped about this too) he's a real bad egg at the end of the day who is better off behind bars
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ziggysego

Quote from: sammymaguire on March 09, 2010, 10:40:40 PM
fair enough but whatever the guy has done to be banged up again (and it is worrying the authorities are being so tight lipped about this too) he's a real bad egg at the end of the day who is better off behind bars

I'll agree with you there. If it is a bad as the newspapers are making out, he deserves to be back in prison.

However the core of the argument for me was, it doesn't mean rehabilitation should be done away with altogether.
Testing Accessibility

ardmhachaabu

I have some experience in the field of rehabilitation from working with young offenders in different projects in west Belfast over the course of about 12 years.  The projects I worked for had strong links with both probation service and social services, the idea behind them was about diverting at least some of them from anti-social/para-military behaviour in the form of car thieving etc  We had some success as what was really needed was for those kids offending to just wise up and get a life.  It happens to everyone eventually mostly.  I get a kick these days when I am out shopping with the Mrs these days and somebody from the projects I worked with recognises me and says hello and offers to buy me a pint

I know all about Jimmy Boyle, he was an example I used manys a time.  However, what venables and thompson did must make the 2 of them lie awake at night.  Have you all read the account?  It's harrowing stuff but it's worth reading to see the different incidents of deception that pair went through in order to carry out what was obviously a planned attack on a 2 year old.  They changed their story to suit the occasion on more than once in that couple of hours they had that 2 year old.  I don't care how bad their childhood was, it doesn't excuse what they did.  They knew what they were doing was wrong every step of the way but continued regardless, they knew they were wrong and that's why they lied to adults when challenged several times

There is no rehabilitating what they became when they bludgeoned a toddler and left him to die on a raiilway track
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

longrunsthefox

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 09, 2010, 11:15:56 PM
I have some experience in the field of rehabilitation from working with young offenders in different projects in west Belfast over the course of about 12 years.  The projects I worked for had strong links with both probation service and social services, the idea behind them was about diverting at least some of them from anti-social/para-military behaviour in the form of car thieving etc  We had some success as what was really needed was for those kids offending to just wise up and get a life.  It happens to everyone eventually mostly.  I get a kick these days when I am out shopping with the Mrs these days and somebody from the projects I worked with recognises me and says hello and offers to buy me a pint

I know all about Jimmy Boyle, he was an example I used manys a time.  However, what venables and thompson did must make the 2 of them lie awake at night.  Have you all read the account?  It's harrowing stuff but it's worth reading to see the different incidents of deception that pair went through in order to carry out what was obviously a planned attack on a 2 year old.  They changed their story to suit the occasion on more than once in that couple of hours they had that 2 year old.  I don't care how bad their childhood was, it doesn't excuse what they did.  They knew what they were doing was wrong every step of the way but continued regardless, they knew they were wrong and that's why they lied to adults when challenged several times

There is no rehabilitating what they became when they bludgeoned a toddler and left him to die on a raiilway track

In the hope that we can stick to the subject matter this time... if Thompson never offends again and leads an ordinary life (as child killer Mary Bell from the sixties did-its on websites) does that not point to his rehabilitation being sucessful?

ardmhachaabu

It would, though I won't hold my breath,  by the account I read he was the main instigator of the attack and he was also the one who lied when confronted by adults.  It seems to me from that version of events that he got venables involved rather than the other way round

I would be very surprised if he doesn't do something that lands him back in jail as well.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Franko

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on March 10, 2010, 09:15:02 AM
It would, though I won't hold my breath,  by the account I read he was the main instigator of the attack and he was also the one who lied when confronted by adults.  It seems to me from that version of events that he got venables involved rather than the other way round

I would be very surprised if he doesn't do something that lands him back in jail as well.

Ah ardmhachaabu, I see you're up to your old mystic meg stunts again! 

Trevor Hill

According to Mondays Irish News, Venables was living in South Armagh up until he was arrested. I am sure he felt right at home.

Minder

One of the two killers of Merseyside toddler James Bulger has been charged with possession and distribution of indecent images of children.
Jon Venables, who killed James in 1993, was released from jail in 2001 and given a new identity and anonymity for life under a special court order.
But Venables, now 27, was recalled to prison in February after allegedly breaching the terms of his licence.
He is charged with two offences under the 1978 Protection of Children Act.
It is alleged that he downloaded 57 indecent images of children between February 2009 and February 2010.
He is secondly accused of distributing seven images between 1 and 23 February this year by allowing other people to access files on his computer.
The case is at a very early stage and will return to court on 23 July. That hearing will be the first opportunity for Venables to indicate whether he will be pleading guilty or not guilty to the alleged offences.
Were he to plead not guilty, he would eventually appear before a jury under his new name. If he pleads guilty, the case will quickly move to sentencing.
In March, the then Justice Secretary Jack Straw announced that Venables had been returned to prison but said that it was not in the interests of a fair trial to publicise what had allegedly happened.
Under the terms of the anonymity order, the media is not allowed to report anything about Venables' new identity or his whereabouts.
Venables and his friend Robert Thompson were jailed for life when, as 10-year-olds, they took two-year-old James from a shopping centre in Bootle.
The toddler's body was found on a disused railway line more than two miles away from where he had been taken.
Venables and Thompson were given new identities on their release from prison in 2001 because of the risk that they would be victims of a vigilante attack.
Following Venables' return to prison in February, Mr Straw told MPs that it was not in the interests of justice for any details of the alleged offences to be publicised because any indication of who Venables was would prevent a fair trial.
Denise Fergus, James Bulger's mother, had called for the reason for the recall to be made public, saying as his mother she had "a right to know".
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Never beat the deeler

Seriously disturbed individual. Needs to be locked up for the safety of all kids. If 17years 'rehabilitation' hasnt helped so far, its safe to say this guy will ever be a functioning member of society.
Hasta la victoria siempre

nrico2006

Surely if Venables is convicted of the latest offence his license will be suspended?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Square Ball

Quote from: nrico2006 on July 23, 2010, 11:46:19 AM
Surely if Venables is convicted of the latest offence his license will be suspended?

he got two years and after 1 it will be up to the parole board to see what way to treat the license
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

nrico2006

Quote from: Square Ball on July 23, 2010, 12:31:11 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on July 23, 2010, 11:46:19 AM

he got two years and after 1 it will be up to the parole board to see what way to treat the license

Crazy, you would imagine that anyone out on license (be it via GFA or the one Venables is out on) would be sent back for good if they committed any time of offence, irrelevant of how serious it was.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'