Laois v Armagh - Portlaoise - Sat 6 March 2010

Started by Shortso79, March 01, 2010, 10:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Big challenge for Henderson is to repeat last night's performance consistently.

Rma13

"Kevin Dyas was a huge disappointment, never in the game and was subbed early (I take it he didn't pick up an injury?)."

Kevin was immediately strapped with ice bags on both his ribs & his shoulder after coming off, so I presume he did pick up an injury, the physio had already been on with him twice checking on both areas.  I have to say I thought he'd delivered a couple of good balls before picking up this injury.

Skiddybadoo

Quote from: Rma13 on March 07, 2010, 06:06:49 PM
"Kevin Dyas was a huge disappointment, never in the game and was subbed early (I take it he didn't pick up an injury?)."

Kevin was immediately strapped with ice bags on both his ribs & his shoulder after coming off, so I presume he did pick up an injury, the physio had already been on with him twice checking on both areas.  I have to say I thought he'd delivered a couple of good balls before picking up this injury.

I agree Rma. Dyas' distribution was impressive although Laois' No 11 bullied him out of it: perhaps Dyas wasn't able to fully compete with the injury. Hope it's not too serious as I'd love to see more of him soon.
Vinny Martin rabbit punched No 11 in the kidneys. Happened right in front of me but the Laois man made a feast of it - but he struck, was spotted and had to go.
While Donaghy did well at FB, I'd lime to see Toner back there. His tackling is great and I'm not sure if intercounty midfield will see the best of him.
I thought Aaron drove forward when possible and only looked ponderous as no one was making clear cut runs up front. Has to stay in the HF line for me.
Henry did miss a few scorable chances but when is the last time we had a full forward outside of Clarke and McDonnell who scored 3 from play.
Forker was among the subs. No sign of McKenna, anyone know what the story is with him?  We need to see if he can cut it at this level. If he were, his height and pace along with Vernon's power and mobility could be a poss partnership?

lawnseed

good to see everyone upbeat and positive, i was watchin the scores on tv text and it was looking like we'd threw it away. as i thought clarke is very rusty. it will be good to watch next week against stiffer opposition. c'mon the orchard
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

fitzroyalty

Is it Kildare next week at home, Down in Newry, Tipp at home and then D/G away? Haven't been to any league games so far though and maybe i'm being overly optimistic but they would all appear winnable games. Especially Down in Newry, all the pressure will be on the aristocrats...One question I have is why does Dyas keep getting game time if he isn't fit? Would it not make more sense to wait till he's 100% before lumping him in?

imtommygunn

If you had a ruptured achilles tendon you could't walk never mind play football...

mackers

Quote from: T Fearon on March 07, 2010, 05:42:15 PM
Absolutely, only thing I'd say is that he's not a ball winner so if we start lumping ball in, he'll disappear. However, if we continue with this changed style of play he could come good, he's a good finisher.
Our run-in from here is a lot harder than the games to date, the Kildare, Down and Donegal games will tell us whether we have improved or not.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Rma13

Yes fitzroyalty that's our run in, I would say it's not the easiest, especially after you look at this weekend's results, which for me threw up a few surprises!

Apparently McKenna has lost interest in football at the minute, perhaps he was hearing all the chat about the expectations for him at county level, it may have had a negative effect, who knows.

It's great to see Henderson getting on the scoresheet regularly now & I was delighted that it was him who scored the winning point last ngiht.  I disagree though about him not being a ball winner, play the right ball into him & he can not only win it, but turn & leave his marker behind him, with the strong possibility of either a score or a good lay off as the end product.  Last night's game & result will hopefully have helped his confidence & perhaps leave his critics with slightly less to say, long may these sort of performances for him continue.

Shortso79

Great win last night in Portlaoise - very pleased for Ryan Henderson - he had the balls at the end to take a shot

Ryan turned his marker inside out a few times.

Thought Malachy Mackin had his best performance so far

Paul Duffy and Andy Mallon's runs into the forward lines are a treat to watch.

Midfield is still a problem area.

Armagh had terrific support last night - fair play to everyone who made the journey

Harder matches to follow - but a win next week in Cross would fairly set up the Down match

On other matters - stayed in the Heritage Hotel - decent hotel right in the town centre

Had a good feed in Egans before the match - a tasty Club Sandwich

After the match had a few drinks in the hotel and then hit the town centre

Lockies Pub is some spot !

Then hit Kavanaghs then back to Lockies

The Laois people made us very welcome

Skiddybadoo

Quote from: mackers on March 07, 2010, 08:40:09 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 07, 2010, 05:42:15 PM
Absolutely, only thing I'd say is that he's not a ball winner so if we start lumping ball in, he'll disappear. However, if we continue with this changed style of play he could come good, he's a good finisher.
Our run-in from here is a lot harder than the games to date, the Kildare, Down and Donegal games will tell us whether we have improved or not.

With John Doyle in blistering form today will Andy be given a strict man-marking job?

Rma13

Egans is a great spot for food alright & quick service too.

T Fearon

Kildare at home and Dongal away are the two stiffest matches in the run in, as I'd expect to win at home against Tipp and in the away game (which is practically a home game) against the emotionally scarred Down men (obviously their defeat in last year's Division 3 Final by Tipp last year affected their performance last night).

mackers

Quote from: Rma13 on March 07, 2010, 08:56:44 PM
Yes fitzroyalty that's our run in, I would say it's not the easiest, especially after you look at this weekend's results, which for me threw up a few surprises!

Apparently McKenna has lost interest in football at the minute, perhaps he was hearing all the chat about the expectations for him at county level, it may have had a negative effect, who knows.

It's great to see Henderson getting on the scoresheet regularly now & I was delighted that it was him who scored the winning point last ngiht.  I disagree though about him not being a ball winner, play the right ball into him & he can not only win it, but turn & leave his marker behind him, with the strong possibility of either a score or a good lay off as the end product.  Last night's game & result will hopefully have helped his confidence & perhaps leave his critics with slightly less to say, long may these sort of performances for him continue.
Hope I didn't come across as a critic, saying he would disappear under a high ball was OTT although I do think he's better served with the type of build up play that we have been trying recently rather than the long high ball in. He has got a tremendous turn and an eye for a score, the type of player we badly need at the minute. He does need to show more consistency but I think that will come with a run of games, rather than flitting in and out of the team which happened last year.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Travis T O Justice

Overall I think it was a secodn gear performance from us whilst Laois put in their top gear ability - which on the face of it wasn't good enough to beat us. Watching the game I do believe there is much optimism to be had in various sectors.

As already mentioned, the sight of Andy Mallon and Duffer making surguing runs up the field was something else and something that I feel was missing from our game for the last 3-4 years. Having a solid 1/2 back line that allows the two corners to overlap on the counter I think will only benefit our game.

Ciaran McKeever is prooving himself with every game as far as I'm concerned and I think he has as much presence along that line as McGeeny had in his day.

Midfield was a bit of a worry and I think (open to correction) we only had one single mark in the entire game (2 marks in total including Laois...again open to correction)

I have no worries over Clarkey at all, rusty yes, but that's to be expected. The trick here is fro Henderson to maintain some level of consistency, I said this last year when he popped 46 goals past Wexford then dissappeared off the face of the Earth. I was talkin' to a few Laois fellas in The Square Bar after the game and they were 'blown away' by him an d said he's the next Stevie McD....I'm yet to be convinced.

Anyway - good night, plenty of white wine and cheese at the game and a good result.

"If it was easy any monkey could do it....go get me a monkey Barry".

T Fearon

46 goals past Wexford? Jaysus the white wine and cheese must have been plentiful in Wexford last year as well as far as you were concerned! ;D

Must say I'm lovin' these Saturday night away games. Enjoy the drive both to and from the venues, there's a good Armagh support and the lights add to the atmosphere as well.