What's your county's most significant/greatest win ever??

Started by hobit hunter, March 01, 2010, 03:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Its difficult to pick one for Cavan. But it would be one of two for me, unfortunately both long before I was born.

Cavans 1st all ireland victory was in in 1933 when they beat Galway 2-5 to 1-4 . It was not only a significant win for Cavan but also for the whole of Ulster. Up until that point Ulster football was 2nd class and most of the big southern counties wanted the Ulster draw in the semi. That win changed all that and the province remained competitive in every decade there after. The mental obstacle of Ulster being losers had been overcome.

Of course, the one that most historians will remember Cavan for is the 1947 polo grounds all ireland. The only final ever played outside of Ireland was one the every county wanted to win as of course there was a legacy associated with victory. The Cavan and Kerry teams were treated like royalty in New York and Cavans 2-11 to 2-7 victory was their 3rd All Ireland senior title.

imtommygunn

Hurling - 1989 vitory in AISF against Offaly.

Football - hard to say. Gettign to the ulster final this year was great but that's only my lifetime. U21 all ireland 1969 maybe. If we were to beat Tyrone this year however... (and if I were to win the lottery...)

muppet

MWWSI 2017

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: muppet on March 01, 2010, 06:25:11 PM
Definitely 2010. That will be our greatest win.

Aye it will be great to see the hurlers bring home the Christy Ring Cup.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

T Fearon

Although 2002 is an obvious choice, I would contend that Armagh's first round Ulster Championship victory over Cavan (still a fairly big name in those days, and I recall a top Armagh official saying aftrewards that he didn't care if Armagh ever won another game) way back in 1977, was the catalyst for everything that's happened since. Prior to this they hadn't won a championship match for yonks, and it really ended years of being in the doldrums, and was the spur to go on and capture a first Ulster Championship and All Ireland Final appearance in 24 years in the same year.

Ever since we have been competitive, have won another 9 Ulster titles, one NFL and of course Sam and have never ever threatened to return to those pre 1977 doldrums.

Farrandeelin

Not even like last year eh Tony? ;)

From a Mayo point of view..... 1950,1951. Only won 1 U-21 AI in my lifetime, so I cherish that competition as well.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

hobit hunter

Can't agree with you on that one Tony.  If we'd lost the 2002 All Ireland we'd still be where we were in 1977 - with no All Ireland's!  I'd hardly say that a first round win over Cavan was the start of the revival when the 80's were a disaster and the early 90's were worse!  Remember Monaghan 85 and the 9 point drubbing by Derry in the early 90's.  I have to contend that the minor loss in 91 was the catalyst to the last 19 years of joy!

ross4life

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 01, 2010, 07:18:39 PM
I doubt he means it ross4life. ::)

well he's not aware of common knowledge so maybe his common sense is not the best either

not the first time he said 2010 will be Mayo's year
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

T Fearon

Hobit hunter, we were in Ulster Finals in 1987 and 1990 (prior to 1977 we hadn't reached an Ulster Final since 1953!)and even the relatively barren spell in the mid 90s hardly compared with the late 50s, 60s and 70s (up to 77) during which on one famous occasion we couldn't even field a team for a league game, and were invariably in Divison 4 and knocked out of the Championship in the first round. That win over Cavan propelled us to an All Ireland Final and you could have got at least 100/1 on Armagh to do this before that Championship started. 2002 was the culmnation of a journey begun in 1999 and was not entirely unexpected given the success of the three previous years.

PS The minor defeat was in 1992.

seafoid

What was entirely unexpected was the rise of arch rivals Tyrone and the rise again and again of Tyrone to the point where they became joint team of the decade. That really must have hurt considering that Armagh had a head start.

hobit hunter

Indeed it was 92, you got me there.  Although I still contend that the hard yards were done in the 90's.

Rossfan

Football:
1939 first ever All Ireland ( Minor)
1940 first adult All Ireland( Junior ....but it was our first team)
1941 a second minor
1943 FIRST SENIOR
1944 second All Ireland BATIN' KERRY in the final
1951 third Minor
1966 first U21
1978 another U21 BATIN KERRY in the Final
2000 another Junior BATIN KERRY in the Final
2006 another Minor BATIN KERRY in the Final
We are one of only a few Counties( Galway/Mayowestros/Cork/Kerry/Dublin) who have won more than 1 All Ireland in all 4 grades of football.
I think we are the only county to  have bet Kerry in finals in all 4 grades.
Hurling : --
Beating Wexford in 1984.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: T Fearon on March 01, 2010, 07:07:17 PM
Although 2002 is an obvious choice, I would contend that Armagh's first round Ulster Championship victory over Cavan (still a fairly big name in those days, and I recall a top Armagh official saying aftrewards that he didn't care if Armagh ever won another game) way back in 1977, was the catalyst for everything that's happened since. Prior to this they hadn't won a championship match for yonks, and it really ended years of being in the doldrums, and was the spur to go on and capture a first Ulster Championship and All Ireland Final appearance in 24 years in the same year.

Ever since we have been competitive, have won another 9 Ulster titles, one NFL and of course Sam and have never ever threatened to return to those pre 1977 doldrums.

Excellent post Tone - recall that match well. Still would be 2002 for me though - a day I once thought I would never see! 

Quote from: T Fearon on March 01, 2010, 08:51:32 PM
prior to 1977 we hadn't reached an Ulster Final since 1953!

Ahem Tone - 1961?!?!  Harry Loughran of Keady would turn in his jacuzzi!!