McGourty says No to Usain Bolt

Started by longrunsthefox, March 01, 2010, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: nearlymad on March 02, 2010, 08:46:37 AM
I wouldn't be a big fan of McGourty but he's correct on this one.The Bolt idea is bullsh-t something like
UTV Live last night interviewing Jim Gracey from the BT on the Bridge/Terry shi-e and then talking to people on the streets.
WTF has this got to do with us in the North of Ireland? Bolt is an outstanding athlete but in Irish terms it's of no relevance.GAA persona,rugger buggers or Norn Ireland soccer heads would be more worthy.

If a "NI soccer head" got it this thread would be on page 15.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mountainboii

Quote from: the colonel on March 01, 2010, 08:14:37 PM
I think McGourty is making a valid point here. As an ex Student President he would have an interest in all things Queens related. Being a sportsman he is also probably one of the first to be asked an opinion. From experience I know current Union Officers may be consulted on who would be gaining these honours.

Yeah, Mc Gourty was heavily involved in sport at the university for years and is a recent VP for clubs and service. It may be odd that he has such a platform to express his opinions the rest of the time, but this is one issue on which he is very qualified to speak.

winsamsoon

Sometimes people just see the personality of a person and this tints the words they speak. Mc Courty is 100% correct on this one. Usain Bolt won't give a shite about this accolade to him it is probably another day out. Whereas a local sports personality would at the very least show some signs of pride and achievement. Again this doesn't take away from the fact that Bolt is a superb athlete but why are we bending over backwards to promote athletes of other countries at the expense of our own. I doubt you would see this happening in New Zealand, Australia or America. These nations are notorious for their competitive streaks and pride in their country (I am  not saying our athletes aren't but what i am saying is that the hierarchy are not providing our athletes with the drive and motivation required to compete at the highest levels. Instead we are promoting that of other countries .  Despite what the personal opinions are of Kevin he is bang on.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

NaomhBridAbú

For the first time I have read something from/about a McGourty that makes any kind of sense...that said, he + CJ (THE TWAT) is still the perfect example of why you should still be allowed to hit your kids
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

cadhlancian

Quote from: down6061689194 on March 01, 2010, 06:16:26 PM
"He will be joined by Nobel prize-winner intellectual Professor Amartya Kumar Sen from India.

Former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari will also get a doctorate.

Mr Ahtisaari, a veteran diplomat, played a major role in the Northern Ireland peace process, working for the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning.

Former Northern Ireland Police Ombudsman Baroness Nuala O'Loan is being honoured for distinction in public service.

Others receiving hours include Belfast-born Maureen Wheeler, co-founder of Lonely Planet, businessman Fred Olsen and William Wright, founder of Ballymena coachbuilder Wrightbus."

All of those people have gone and made a difference to the world, showing what NI is all about, or helping us. Certainly deserving of what is at the end of the day worthless.

But Usain Bolt, he was probably at home, and was told he was getting this and went "who?". I'd be very surprised if he values it at all and it is quite clearly a move from queens for PR. Sean Cavanagh won't cut it with the overseas boys like Bolt.

One of the GAA players to head to Oz and put us on the map maybe, or Sean Kelly for Rule 42 and all that, or Mickey Harte (getting desperate now) for leading a team to their first and then a subsequent two all irelands, quite honestly against all odds.

Non-Story here.
Billy Wright getting one...where will it all end ::)

DownFanatic

McGourty speaks his mind and is never afraid to put forward his opinion. That has to be respected. He is spot on regarding the whole Bolt situation.

cadhlancian

Jaaysus, that McGourty boyo, the whores in everything but the crib at xmas! :P

gallsman

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on March 02, 2010, 03:15:58 PM
NaomhBridAbú

Whereas spoilt brats from the Malone Road who think they're hard as nails making sniper poses in the Bot on a Friday night are shining examples of good parenting skills  ::)

longrunsthefox

Quote from: gallsman on March 02, 2010, 04:36:06 PM
NaomhBridAbú

Whereas spoilt brats from the Malone Road who think they're hard as nails making sniper poses in the Bot on a Friday night are shining examples of good parenting skills  ::)

I heard a good 'un about St Brigids going to play an underage game against team from West Belfast and after the game 'hard' man-youth shouts, 'Youse snobby b**s from the Malone Road blah! blah!  to which St Brigid's lad replies,  "Can you remind your mother, to be over to clean our house this afternoon'   Class. 

NaomhBridAbú

NaomhBridAbú

Mcgourty is a mouthy twat regardless of where he is from - geography has little to do with it
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

The Worker

NaomhBridAbú

MIAOWWWW!!!!

thewobbler

The level of disdain for McGourty sums up one of the biggest problems for the GAA.

The top-ranked playing pool work so hard and become so insular, that the game is more or less bereft of personalities. Can anyone think of a less inspiring prospective night out than a Q and A session with current intercounty GAA stars?

Yet when one of those fellas breaks the mould and actually answers straight questions with straight answers, he has people climbing over chairs to put him down and question his right to speak. Even though the fact that he played and won at the highest level, he has coached teams, and he has administrated our games, should give his word more credence than nearly any of the journalists that are fawned over on other GAABoard threads.

Personally I welcome it. The more players we can find who'll speak their mind a little, the more enjoyable that reading and talking about our games will become.

corcaioch

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 01, 2010, 12:02:24 PM
I see in Irish News that Kevin McGourty is giving out about Usain Bolt getting an honourary degree from Queens rather than it going to a local athlete. He mentions soccer and rowing but says he especially advocates a GAA player as that is his sport. He suggested Sean O'Neill former Down and Queens star as an appropriate choice.  I suppose he has a point but...  Kevin McGourty...  :o

Seán O'Neill would have been a better choice IMO.

The Worker

Im a fan of mc gourty. hes a loose cannon but at least hes not afraid to show it!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: NaomhBridAbú on March 02, 2010, 05:32:25 PM
NaomhBridAbú

Mcgourty is a mouthy t**t regardless of where he is from - geography has little to do with it

1. Personal abuse.
    Personal abuse is one of the most common problems on internet boards. Known sometimes as 'playing the man', whether foul language is used or not, this behaviour is
    not allowed.
    e.g. Calling someone a fat fool is the same as calling someone something more vulgar. This rule applies even in situations where another user has breached this, or
    another rule. Retaliation is still a breach of the rule.

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead