McGourty says No to Usain Bolt

Started by longrunsthefox, March 01, 2010, 12:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

I see in Irish News that Kevin McGourty is giving out about Usain Bolt getting an honourary degree from Queens rather than it going to a local athlete. He mentions soccer and rowing but says he especially advocates a GAA player as that is his sport. He suggested Sean O'Neill former Down and Queens star as an appropriate choice.  I suppose he has a point but...  Kevin McGourty...  :o

RealSpiritof98

Rav67

Quote from: longrunsthefox on March 01, 2010, 12:02:24 PM
I see in Irish News that Kevin McGourty is giving out about Usain Bolt getting an honourary degree from Queens rather than it going to a local athlete. He mentions soccer and rowing but says he especially advocates a GAA player as that is his sport. He suggested Sean O'Neill former Down and Queens star as an appropriate choice.  I suppose he has a point but...  Kevin McGourty...  :o

Has McGourty a column in the IN now?

longrunsthefox

No-it' s an article. Not on the sports pages.

omagh_gael

Not too often it happens but I agree with Mc Gourty on this one, although i have upmost respect for bolt.

southdown

Im sick of reading about McGourty, look at BBC NI sports page, several articles there about him.  What is the media fascination with him?  He doesn't even play for his county any more, am I missing something??

screenexile

Don't understand it myself either. A decent club player who went on the beer and threw a huff with Antrim and somehow managed to get his own column in the Gaelic Life.

I've met him a few times and he's alright like but I don't understand how his opinion is now somehow valued in GAA circles.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: screenexile on March 01, 2010, 03:52:46 PM
Don't understand it myself either. A decent club player who went on the beer and threw a huff with Antrim and somehow managed to get his own column in the Gaelic Life.

I've met him a few times and he's alright like but I don't understand how his opinion is now somehow valued in GAA circles.

I think it might be to do with the fact that he actually gives his opinion.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

down6061689194

"He will be joined by Nobel prize-winner intellectual Professor Amartya Kumar Sen from India.

Former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari will also get a doctorate.

Mr Ahtisaari, a veteran diplomat, played a major role in the Northern Ireland peace process, working for the Independent International Commission on Decommissioning.

Former Northern Ireland Police Ombudsman Baroness Nuala O'Loan is being honoured for distinction in public service.

Others receiving hours include Belfast-born Maureen Wheeler, co-founder of Lonely Planet, businessman Fred Olsen and William Wright, founder of Ballymena coachbuilder Wrightbus."

All of those people have gone and made a difference to the world, showing what NI is all about, or helping us. Certainly deserving of what is at the end of the day worthless.

But Usain Bolt, he was probably at home, and was told he was getting this and went "who?". I'd be very surprised if he values it at all and it is quite clearly a move from queens for PR. Sean Cavanagh won't cut it with the overseas boys like Bolt.

One of the GAA players to head to Oz and put us on the map maybe, or Sean Kelly for Rule 42 and all that, or Mickey Harte (getting desperate now) for leading a team to their first and then a subsequent two all irelands, quite honestly against all odds.

Non-Story here.

the colonel

I think McGourty is making a valid point here. As an ex Student President he would have an interest in all things Queens related. Being a sportsman he is also probably one of the first to be asked an opinion. From experience I know current Union Officers may be consulted on who would be gaining these honours.

It is though a good way of Queens to raise their international profile. Has Bolt actually accepted the honour though?
the difference between success and failure is energy

Minder

What happened to the new, improved, introverted, nobody understands me, Kevin Mc Gourty?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theterminator

McGourty is dead right. Fair enough, bolt has made fantastic achievments. But what has he done that has any relevance to ireland or the north in particular? Nothing. He probably has never even heard of queens university and itl mean little to him. Better to give it to someone who will actually appreciate it IMO and has more relevance to ireland.

DuffleKing

Tac is right about McGourty. The GAA is full of bland same same characters who say nothing in interviews for fear of giving opponents an edge or offending. the media love McGourty because he gives an opinion, right or wrong.

Minder

Maybe I have underestimated the appetite for a club footballers opinion or view.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

nearlymad

I wouldn't be a big fan of McGourty but he's correct on this one.The Bolt idea is bullsh-t something like
UTV Live last night interviewing Jim Gracey from the BT on the Bridge/Terry shi-e and then talking to people on the streets.
WTF has this got to do with us in the North of Ireland? Bolt is an outstanding athlete but in Irish terms it's of no relevance.GAA persona,rugger buggers or Norn Ireland soccer heads would be more worthy.