Down v Armagh - Newry - 20 March 2010

Started by Shortso79, February 28, 2010, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fan01

delighted to see this abuse to an armagh player stopped

guevara

To get back on the actual topic  ;D
See in todays Irish News Benny Tierney agrees that Armagh came into the game with "too much of a local derby mindset & were more concerned at times at applying the big hits than the more important task of winning the ball"
On the evidence of Saturday evening Id definitely agree with this.
Armagh arent a poor side. In fact I think they have some great young footballers in that panel who on their day couldve caused Down serious damage. But I think a lot of them foolishly seemed to be more concerned with busting a fella in a tackle or getting involved in niggling & this actually had a detrimental effect on Armagh's overall performance.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

T Fearon

I apologise to everyone on this thread for my imtemperate language and indeed I was man enough to apolgise by PM to Trevor Hill this morning (no reciprocal apology received to date) and to the mod, prior to he or she posting this clarifiication/warning.

However I think many others contributing to this thread need to look at themselves as well.

I understand the mod's concerns and will heed this warning. However I just hope that all posters who abuse others, very often simply because they disagree with a point of view, are also subjected to disciplinary  measures. Just because some behave badly less frequently than others is no excuse or defence, and I hope everyone is treated equally from now on

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: T Fearon on March 24, 2010, 07:06:39 PM
However I think many others contributing to this thread need to look at themselves as well.

AN ATTEMPT TO PASS THE PARCEL METHINKS!  ALMOST A RED CARD OFFENCE?

In the Onion Bag

I RETRACT THAT MODS. 
SURE THE BOARD WOULD BE ALL BE THE POORER WITHOUT OUR TONY FOR A BIT OF CRAIC.  BUT TONY, TRY TO KEEP IT REAL PLEASE.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: T Fearon on March 24, 2010, 07:06:39 PM
I apologise to everyone on this thread for my imtemperate language and indeed I was man enough to apolgise by PM to Trevor Hill this morning (no reciprocal apology received to date) and to the mod, prior to he or she posting this clarifiication/warning.

I understand the mod's concerns and will heed this warning. However I just hope that all posters who abuse others, very often simply because they disagree with a point of view, are also subjected to disciplinary  measures. Just because some behave badly less frequently than others is no excuse or defence, and I hope everyone is treated equally from now on

the mods may watch out or tf will have them up for unfair dismissal!

Ceart agus Cóir

haha this is like bein back at school...hardman TFearon apologises because of a tellin off from his teacher!!! hilarious....

on the note of a certain Armagh player gettin abuse - its deserved! not saying we should call him the names of the day, but he's a terrible role model! his antics on the pitch are bad enough, but my problem is his lack of sportsmanship! whatever happens on the pitch happens, but before and after a match you should atleast shake a man's hand! this will be mimicked by underaged players that look up to their county players!

illdecide

I know fearon...get off you're knee's FFS...lol
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

T Fearon

I have confessed to the Almighty Moderator and begged his forgiveness. I will endeavour to sin no more, but trust in the everlasting mercy of the Moderator for those who truly repent ad turn away from evil ;D

Applesisapples

Are all those Down Fans outraged at Ciaran McKeevers activities similarly outraged at the assault by Down's number 12 on Finnian Moriarty clearly shown on Setanta and commented on by the summariser? Which the linesman got seriously wrong. This actually was the turning point of the game as Armagh  failed to cope against 15 men, and the management team made serious errors with their substitutions, whilst McCartan used his spare man very effectively.

As for Paddy O'Rourke as an Armagh man I've no difficulty with his graciousness in defeat, what else could he have said? Reality check required here, nothing is won in March, both these teams are in transition and neither set of supporters should get carried away either with unrealistic expectations or unnecessary gloom.

mournerambler

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 25, 2010, 01:43:42 PM
Are all those Down Fans outraged at Ciaran McKeevers activities similarly outraged at the assault by Down's number 12 on Finnian Moriarty clearly shown on Setanta and commented on by the summariser? Which the linesman got seriously wrong. This actually was the turning point of the game as Armagh  failed to cope against 15 men, and the management team made serious errors with their substitutions, whilst McCartan used his spare man very effectively.

As for Paddy O'Rourke as an Armagh man I've no difficulty with his graciousness in defeat, what else could he have said? Reality check required here, nothing is won in March, both these teams are in transition and neither set of supporters should get carried away either with unrealistic expectations or unnecessary gloom.

In answer to your question, No, Stephen Kearney didn't stand over his injured opponent while he lay on the ground getting treatment & then when the said opponent got to his feet, hit him with a cheap shot.

(btw I think this was discussed about 4 days ago on this very thread, but like the Armagh team on Saturday night you aren't that quick of the mark)

Pearse og

Again after the actions of Ward and McCartan in previous years are anything to go by Down are in no position to criticise Armagh about violent conduct or discipline.

As well as the Down players elbow on Saturday past, you could mention Martin Cole's horrendous forearm smash on Davy Harte in 2008.

Or perhaps you could also mention Luke Howards late, deliberate body check on Stephen Kernan in 2008 as well.

Or what about Benny Coulter getting sent off for violent conduct v St Galls in 2005.

Judging by this thread you would think Down are a shower of Angels. Maybe Down fans should look closer to home before they go on about McKeever. On another note about time Down beat a 14 man Armagh team as they could not manage it in 08. :D

guevara

God man Pearse Og! Do you want to try & go back even further in time? Pherhaps the 80's? 70's?
The matter at hand here is that on Saturday evening Ciaran McKeever not only let himself down but also his County.
Of all them examples you have so brilliantly listed could you honestly say any of them have a reputation as dirty players who use under hand tactics when the going gets tough?
Ciaran McKeever has the reputation because he has stooped to these levels in the past & no doubt he will do the same in the future when he is getting the run around.  ::)

Simple facts are he couldnt handle Marty Clarke & had to try every dirty tactic he could to bring Clarke down to his level.
If he thought he could have handled him on a footballing basis he wouldve down that & shown everyone what a terrific & undoubtedly talented defender he is. But he chose to go down the route he did simply because Marty was getting the better of him
For God sake even your ex players are coming out & saying your players seemed more intent in the physical side than the winning!!

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

5 Sams

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 25, 2010, 01:43:42 PM

Quote from: Pearse og on March 25, 2010, 06:16:37 PM
Again after the actions of Ward and McCartan in previous years are anything to go by Down are in no position to criticise Armagh about violent conduct or discipline.

As well as the Down players elbow on Saturday past, you could mention Martin Cole's horrendous forearm smash on Davy Harte in 2008.

Or perhaps you could also mention Luke Howards late, deliberate body check on Stephen Kernan in 2008 as well.

Or what about Benny Coulter getting sent off for violent conduct v St Galls in 2005.

Judging by this thread you would think Down are a shower of Angels. Maybe Down fans should look closer to home before they go on about McKeever. On another note about time Down beat a 14 man Armagh team as they could not manage it in 08. :D

I see the Hoganstand website is down again :-\
The Aristocrat Years

In the Onion Bag

Quote from: guevara on March 25, 2010, 06:43:36 PM
God man Pearse Og! Do you want to try & go back even further in time? Pherhaps the 80's? 70's?
The matter at hand here is that on Saturday evening Ciaran McKeever not only let himself down but also his County.
Of all them examples you have so brilliantly listed could you honestly say any of them have a reputation as dirty players who use under hand tactics when the going gets tough?
Ciaran McKeever has the reputation because he has stooped to these levels in the past & no doubt he will do the same in the future when he is getting the run around.  ::)

McKeever, a decent footballer but on the slide, better watch out and hope PoR retires him before Marty grows up and reeks some revenge on that auld lad.

Simple facts are he couldnt handle Marty Clarke & had to try every dirty tactic he could to bring Clarke down to his level.
If he thought he could have handled him on a footballing basis he wouldve down that & shown everyone what a terrific & undoubtedly talented defender he is. But he chose to go down the route he did simply because Marty was getting the better of him
For God sake even your ex players are coming out & saying your players seemed more intent in the physical side than the winning!!