Down v Armagh - Newry - 20 March 2010

Started by Shortso79, February 28, 2010, 12:52:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

I was appalled by the general level of hatred towards Armagh on display last Saturday night, even before throw in. I thought that under the circumstances the Armagh team and supporters took their defeat with good grace and its a ribute that this was the case in the face of severe provocation and totally ineffective refereeing performance. Imagine the mayhem that would have ensued had a Down player been sent off for nothing, like Moriarity was.

Brick Tamlin

Oh right so thats why he was applauded and got an ovation. I see now.
Youse boys have little to be standing up for.

He was taken off a few years ago in the same ground after the first 15mins, in which he again got roasted, this time by Coulter, conceded an early goal, responded again by dirty antics (broke coulters hand i think) and then walked to the line when replaced. Only difference was that day Armagh went on to win.

bingobus

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2010, 12:56:35 PM
I was appalled by the general level of hatred towards Armagh on display last Saturday night, even before throw in. I thought that under the circumstances the Armagh team and supporters took their defeat with good grace and its a ribute that this was the case in the face of severe provocation and totally ineffective refereeing performance. Imagine the mayhem that would have ensued had a Down player been sent off for nothing, like Moriarity was.

What drivel.

Brick Tamlin

Yes Tony, the referee beat Armagh on saturday night.

mountainboii

Quote from: behind the wire on March 22, 2010, 12:21:13 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 22, 2010, 11:54:07 AM
Quote from: AFS on March 22, 2010, 11:43:10 AM
Did the TV coverage show any incidents involving McKeever and Clarke, I've it Sky+ed but haven't faced up to watching it yet? I'm assuming comments like these, from those not in attendance on Saturday night, are inspired by video evidence rather than some of the hysterical hearsay by overprotective partisan supporters here and elsewhere.

I think hysterical hearsay is the stock-in-trade of most of the posters on this thread. Caught the highlights last night and the only bit of violent behaviour shown was an attempted elbow by a Down man.

thats ok, if a down man swung an elbow thats unacceptable and cannot be condoned. that sort of thing happens regularly in games (mckeever swinging his boot wrecklessly in the first half would also fall into that bracket). although unacceptable we cannot say that such instances are uncommon.

what is uncommon is for a player to stand over an opponent and watch him receive treatment for an obviously painful injury and then hit him as soon as he gets to his feet. that is what the uproar is about and in my view is justified.

such behaviour is unacceptable anywhere.

attempts by armagh supporters to somehow excuse his behaviour by stating that it is hysterical hearsay is pathetic.

the sad thing is very few armagh supporters have come out and said that their captain was well out of order, in fact some of the rubbish posted here by some of the armagh posters would make you wonder if they were at the same game.

Hysterical surely. It started off on Saturday night with shite about broken ribs and assaults and lifetime bans. In the cold light of day it has since boiled down to McKeever giving Clarke a bit of a dig after he got treatment for an unrelated incident. If I'd imagine there were a couple of dozen harder slaps thrown around the country this weekend without a word said. But then again, it is Marty the Messiah and any sacrilegious attempts to divert him from the quest to lead the mighty Aristocrats back the promised land must be met with unholy scorn.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2010, 12:34:55 PM
Mc Keever, as captain, lifted the AI U21 Championship trophy (you know the one Down tried hard to lift but failed throughout the noughties), also he has pocketed 3 Ulster SFC medals, thats 3 more than the combined total found in the current Down squad! :D

He is already half way to becoming a legend ;)

Those credentials stood him well on saturday night.

- First he let the atmosphere of Newry get to him.
- He then gets roasted by Clarke (who's contribution during limited game time resulted in setting the tone for Armaghs hammering)
- He acts the performing monkey to his 'fans' in front of the stand when Clarke gets some treatment
- He then gets another roasting by young Maginn
- His management take him off so save any more embarrassment.
- He waves to the crowd like Pat Jennings
-Some Armagh 'fans' stand and clap because there was nothing else for them  to cheer all night.

- Legend!

Paddy O'Rourke: All Ireland senior(as captain),minor, under 21 and club champion. Now he is a legend.

Brick Tamlin

AFS you were doing so well there for a minute with a sensible post until your hatred clouded your judgement and ye went off on one about Clarke.

How do you think Mc Keever played on saturday night, how do you think he performed his duties at No6 then. Reckon he was any good do ye?.

BTW your full back Donaghy is a fine footballer and man marker, quite impressed with him in parts.

Goats Do Shave

Quote from: Final Whistle on March 22, 2010, 11:03:07 AM
Quote from: Trevor Hill on March 22, 2010, 10:59:27 AM
Quote from: Final Whistle on March 22, 2010, 10:35:08 AM
Will the CCCC be looking into the antics of a South Armagh man on Saturday evening?

Would this be the UFO on the Warrenpoint Rd about 20.55 on Saturday? Police received reports that an Unidentified Fat Object was speeding in the Direction of Kilmorey Street some 15 minutes before the game ended. The Unidentified Fat Object was being trailed by a Swamp Donkey. The police helicopter lost sight of the culprits in the vicinity of Kentucky Fried Chicken on Bridge Street. Police are also trying to trace the owner of 2 Armagh season tickets found lying in a puddle of grease and chicken bones. No chips have been retrieved as yet.

lol-no, im talking about the antics mckeever was at. thuggish to say the least.

I doubt you seen the 'thuggish antics' Final Whistle. The ref dealt with the situation by handing McKeever the yellow card. CCCCCCC can continue to villify Tyrone (Wrongly of course!  ;))

mountainboii

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on March 22, 2010, 01:23:59 PM
AFS you were doing so well there for a minute with a sensible post until your hatred clouded your judgement and ye went off on one about Clarke.

How do you think Mc Keever played on saturday night, how do you think he performed his duties at No6 then. Reckon he was any good do ye?.

BTW your full back Donaghy is a fine footballer and man marker, quite impressed with him in parts.

McKeever was shite on Saturday night.

McKeever did not commit any acts on Saturday night worthy of the scorn and abuse that has subsequently rained down upon him.

The over reaction to any incidents by Down supporters is, at least in part, due to their overprotective fondness for Martin Clarke, a player I have a lot of time for.

Leo

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2010, 12:44:26 PM

He can be as big a cult hero as Francie, imho

Wrong consonant in that word I think.
Fierce tame altogether

T O Hare

It was a great occassion on Saturday night but i felt the match ended as a contest when Mo was sent off!!! Armagh were back in the game at that stage and it would have been an interesting second half with the full compliment of players on both sides.. Downs defence coped well but Armagh changed their gameplan when Charlie Vernon came on. Kalum King was excellent and is a great foil for Ambrose.. We have a great half back line at the minute who are all strong, great readers and comfortable on the ball. Our forwards played well at times but our half forwards play too deep  and there is a massive gap between our midfield and full forward line for large parts of the game. It was great to see Benny grabbing a goal, his confidence will be sky high again and we should expect a strong finish to the campaign from him.  Aaron Kernan is better suited in the half back line were he can come onto the ball but the worrying thing for them is that they have no natural scoring threats apart from Stevie and Clarke. Brendan Donaghy is a developing into a great full back but McKeever made a D**K out of himself when being taken off. He is a good player but he seems to be a loose cannon and craves attention! When playing against Down in Clones two years ago he marked Benny brilliantly but when he behaves likes the other night he is only taking his mind off his game and is no asset to the Armagh team!!
"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

T Fearon

Ach Tom, it was just an act of defiance, and gave us a chance to cheer something in the second half there. Mc Keever is a bit highly strung alright, I remember when he received the Ulster U21 Championship Trophy at Casement in 2004, he laced his speech with a few f's, in front of all the dignatories. Still if you curbed that passion and devilment you would detract from the playing abilities

Actually Mc Cartan is manager, and Rogers, Mc Kernan and M Clarke are all on my wife's (which is really mine) Gaelic Life Fantasy team so I wasn't as heartbroken leaving Newry on Saturday night as I might have been ;)

Doogie Browser

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2010, 02:35:01 PM
Actually Mc Cartan is manager, and Rogers, Mc Kernan and M Clarke are all on my wife's (which is really mine) Gaelic Life Fantasy team so I wasn't as heartbroken leaving Newry on Saturday night as I might have been ;)
You lying hoor, even your missus knows more about sport than you do, the Gaelic Life League Table does not lie  :P

T Fearon

My missus didn't even know she'd entered the competition, until she got the email :D

T O Hare

Quote from: T Fearon on March 22, 2010, 02:35:01 PM
Ach Tom, it was just an act of defiance, and gave us a chance to cheer something in the second half there. Mc Keever is a bit highly strung alright, I remember when he received the Ulster U21 Championship Trophy at Casement in 2004, he laced his speech with a few f's, in front of all the dignatories. Still if you curbed that passion and devilment you would detract from the playing abilities

He played with passion in Clones but without the mouthing and acting the hardman!!! I feel he plays better when he concentrates on playing football!!! Bellew was a hard player who went over the edge at times but he never resorted to the goading of the crowd or in your face tactics that Mckeever sometimes uses!!

"2008 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"