Man found shot dead near Derry

Started by ziggysego, February 25, 2010, 01:26:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandwiches_in_the_boot

This is one angle on it

REAL IRA activist Ciaran Doherty was shot dead by his fellow terrorists because they suspected he had supplied information which led to the garda seizure of a cannabis factory in Co Donegal last month.

Doherty (31) was shot in the head and chest and his semi-naked body, with his hands tied together, was left on the outskirts of Derry city, close to the border with Donegal.

The Real IRA leadership in the city decided to "execute" him after they had earlier interrogated him as a result of the garda raid which uncovered the cannabis factory at Carrigans.

Last night the Real IRA in Derry claimed responsibility for Mr Doherty's shooting in a call using a recognised code word.

The group said Mr Doherty was a senior member of their organisation, adding: "We executed him because he was involved with a criminal organisation with links to the drugs trade and was profiteering. He knew the risks involved in what he was doing."

Cannabis

The highly sophisticated cannabis manufacturing operation was based in a four-bedroomed house which had been rented at Kildrum Lower, near Carrigans.

The house was owned by senior RIRA member, Seamus McGreevy (56), whose body was found earlier this month at his home in Stamullen, Gormanston, Co Meath. Gardai investigated his death but foul play was not suspected.

There was no evidence to indicate that McGreevy was aware of the cannabis found but it was decided shortly after his death that Doherty should be interrogated about the find.

Two men were questioned by gardai about the seizure and released without charge. A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Doherty was never a member of the Provisional IRA but joined the dissidents after the ceasefire. He said he met McGreevy while serving a jail sentence at Portlaoise jail.

He was sentenced to six years' imprisonment by the Special Criminal Court in Dublin in April 2002 after he was found guilty of the armed robbery of a nightclub in a hotel in Inishowen, Co Donegal.

Doherty's body was found close to a Carmelite Retreat Centre on the Braehead Road in Derry at around 10.30pm on Wednesday. He lived less than a mile away at the Coshowen estate in Bishop Street, Derry.

He had left his home around 8pm to go to a local shop but made no further contact.

Last November he told the 'Derry Journal' newspaper that MI5 attempted to recruit him as an informer and that, together with the Customs Service, they had blocked his attempts to set up a cigarette manufacturing company, called Northern Lites.

In January he again contacted the newspaper after his house was searched by the PSNI following the cannabis find in Carrigans. He said he had no involvement in the drugs find and that the house belonged to a republican prisoner he had met in Portlaoise Prison.

Doherty, a father of one, was due to be married in three months' time.

- Tom Brady

Irish Independent
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Nally Stand

Hardy you are completely avoiding my point which is that whether you or I agree with McGuinness is irrelevant, but it's that McGuinness has not been hypocritical in his statements in the slightest. P.s. You ask about the poor people that suffered because of how people like him felt. How about the poor people who suffered which in turn made him and others feel this way. Like I keep saying, it comes down to the circumstances of the day. Like it or not.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Nally Stand on February 27, 2010, 02:11:13 PM
Hardy you are completely avoiding my point which is that whether you or I agree with McGuinness is irrelevant, but it's that McGuinness has not been hypocritical in his statements in the slightest. P.s. You ask about the poor people that suffered because of how people like him felt. How about the poor people who suffered which in turn made him and others feel this way. Like I keep saying, it comes down to the circumstances of the day. Like it or not.
According to you it comes down to a person's personal opinion on whether a war is justified or not. 
As I said I'd have no trouble with him condemning it but this "outraged" nonsense from him makes me want to puke.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

orangeman

Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 28, 2010, 07:48:31 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on February 27, 2010, 02:11:13 PM
According to you it comes down to a person's personal opinion on whether a war is justified or not. 
As I said I'd have no trouble with him condemning it but this "outraged" nonsense from him makes me want to puke.
[/b]

Join an ever increasingly large club !.

glens abu

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 26, 2010, 05:54:09 PM
Quote from: glens abu on February 26, 2010, 02:42:31 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 26, 2010, 01:11:00 PM
Quote from: glens abu on February 26, 2010, 11:32:04 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2010, 07:25:07 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 25, 2010, 07:20:23 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2010, 07:10:20 PM
McGuinness is starting to bug me, a hypocrite.

Is that not like saying a british soldier who killed someone in Iraq has no right to condemn a murder in his hometown?

Like it or not, the political process has essentially legitimised the IRA and what it did. Any war will have atrocities. Is Gordon Brown a hypocrite when he condemns murders, given that he oversees Britains actions in Iraq and elsewhere?

I found it very interesting that while listening to the BBC national (i.e. across the UK) news report on the bomb in Newry, the (english) correspondent drew a distinction between the dissidents and the PIRA by saying 'However, unlike the PIRA, the dissidents have little support in the community...'. An unexpected admission by the beeb, and perhaps history being rewritten before our eyes...
McGuinness is a hypocrite because he never had a problem when the PIRA were killing touts.  If he came on and condemned it and said there was no room for violence any more or whatever then fine but this "outraged" nonsense sticks in the throat.

How is he a hypocrite ::)if he had condemned the shooting when it was the PIRA doing it then he would be a hypocrite but he never has and never will so don't talk crap.He is condemning it now because he doesn't agree with it.As he said the war is over and thats what he believes.
Why dont you read my post again.

I did,still don't see how he is a hypocrite if he was coming on condemning the PIRA for their past actions then I would agree with you,but he is not and never will.
Right then, so explain to us all how one set of murderers are right and another set wrong.  Care to also explain how wee Marty can say he is outraged by it yet he had his own considerable part to play in the torture and murder of Frank Hegarty?

I won't waste my time waiting on a sensible answer from you since you can only repeat SF bullshit

Ah right Willie so not only do you know all about the RA in Armagh and Ardoyne you know all about them in Derry as well,you are some kid.Maybe your a pacifist I don't really know but as your aware with all your knowledge that Martin isn't so when the place he lived Derry and his community were being attacked in the late 60's by RUC and B specials he got up and went out to help defend his area,same happened when civil rights marches were being attacked he again defended his community when people like you {pacifists sat in the house]Martin and people like him continued to do this through the 70s and 80s during Bloody Sunday internment,the brutalisation of prisoners in the prisons,shoot to kill,etc etc when you were still sitting in the house criticising them for their actions.During all this time he was also looking for ways to bring it all to an end the IRA ceasefires of the 70s and secret talks with the British to get the conditions right for negotiations.Now things have changed,no RUC,B Specials UDR no soldiers on the streets no internment no shoot to kill power sharing government and many other things have improved for the people of Derry Belfast and right across the north,job not complete and defiantly not perfect but massive changes from the time that people like Martin got involve in Armed actions while you sat on the sofa.Now if you think that the conditions are the same today as they were then all I can say is you should get out more.Also as for the Sinn Fein bullshit well for all their bullshit the majority of Nationalists in the North listen to it and vote for them so please try and not be so arrogant as to think you are superior to all of them.I have no doubt that this explanation will not satisfy you but then thats all the time you spent sitting on the sofa with you pacifist friends.Sinn e

boojangles

Quote from: glens abu on March 01, 2010, 11:28:05 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on February 26, 2010, 05:54:09 PM
Quote from: glens abu on February 26, 2010, 02:42:31 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 26, 2010, 01:11:00 PM
Quote from: glens abu on February 26, 2010, 11:32:04 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2010, 07:25:07 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on February 25, 2010, 07:20:23 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on February 25, 2010, 07:10:20 PM
McGuinness is starting to bug me, a hypocrite.

Is that not like saying a british soldier who killed someone in Iraq has no right to condemn a murder in his hometown?

Like it or not, the political process has essentially legitimised the IRA and what it did. Any war will have atrocities. Is Gordon Brown a hypocrite when he condemns murders, given that he oversees Britains actions in Iraq and elsewhere?

I found it very interesting that while listening to the BBC national (i.e. across the UK) news report on the bomb in Newry, the (english) correspondent drew a distinction between the dissidents and the PIRA by saying 'However, unlike the PIRA, the dissidents have little support in the community...'. An unexpected admission by the beeb, and perhaps history being rewritten before our eyes...
McGuinness is a hypocrite because he never had a problem when the PIRA were killing touts.  If he came on and condemned it and said there was no room for violence any more or whatever then fine but this "outraged" nonsense sticks in the throat.

How is he a hypocrite ::)if he had condemned the shooting when it was the PIRA doing it then he would be a hypocrite but he never has and never will so don't talk crap.He is condemning it now because he doesn't agree with it.As he said the war is over and thats what he believes.
Why dont you read my post again.

I did,still don't see how he is a hypocrite if he was coming on condemning the PIRA for their past actions then I would agree with you,but he is not and never will.
Right then, so explain to us all how one set of murderers are right and another set wrong.  Care to also explain how wee Marty can say he is outraged by it yet he had his own considerable part to play in the torture and murder of Frank Hegarty?

I won't waste my time waiting on a sensible answer from you since you can only repeat SF bullshit

Ah right Willie so not only do you know all about the RA in Armagh and Ardoyne you know all about them in Derry as well,you are some kid.Maybe your a pacifist I don't really know but as your aware with all your knowledge that Martin isn't so when the place he lived Derry and his community were being attacked in the late 60's by RUC and B specials he got up and went out to help defend his area,same happened when civil rights marches were being attacked he again defended his community when people like you {pacifists sat in the house]Martin and people like him continued to do this through the 70s and 80s during Bloody Sunday internment,the brutalisation of prisoners in the prisons,shoot to kill,etc etc when you were still sitting in the house criticising them for their actions.During all this time he was also looking for ways to bring it all to an end the IRA ceasefires of the 70s and secret talks with the British to get the conditions right for negotiations.Now things have changed,no RUC,B Specials UDR no soldiers on the streets no internment no shoot to kill power sharing government and many other things have improved for the people of Derry Belfast and right across the north,job not complete and defiantly not perfect but massive changes from the time that people like Martin got involve in Armed actions while you sat on the sofa.Now if you think that the conditions are the same today as they were then all I can say is you should get out more.Also as for the Sinn Fein bullshit well for all their bullshit the majority of Nationalists in the North listen to it and vote for them so please try and not be so arrogant as to think you are superior to all of them.I have no doubt that this explanation will not satisfy you but then thats all the time you spent sitting on the sofa with you pacifist friends.Sinn e

As a fellow 'wannabe provo' I have to say well said to all of that.
Unfortunately back in the 60's,70's, 80's  and even parts of the 90's violence was needed. It is not now.

Hardy

Quote from: boojangles on March 01, 2010, 12:50:49 PM
Unfortunately back in the 60's,70's, 80's  and even parts of the 90's violence was needed.

Who decided that?

QuoteIt is not now.

Who decided that?

glens abu

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2010, 12:54:16 PM
Unfortunately back in the 60's,70's, 80's  and even parts of the 90's violence was needed.

Who decided that?

QuoteIt is not now.

Who decided that?

its about your conscience Hardy, Martin McGuinness believed that it was necessary then and is no longer required today with the conditions that now prevail,and I and the majority of Republicans in the North agree with that even the majority of Republicans who disagree with the Sinn Fein strategy think the time is no longer right for armed conflict 

Hardy

Quote from: glens abu on March 01, 2010, 01:58:24 PM

Who decided that?

QuoteIt is not now.

Who decided that?

Martin McGuinness believed that it was necessary then ... and I and the majority of Republicans in the North agree with that

The majority of people in the North and the majority of people in the country didn't and don't agree with you and Martin McGuinness.

glens abu

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2010, 02:01:04 PM
Quote from: glens abu on March 01, 2010, 01:58:24 PM

Who decided that?

QuoteIt is not now.

Who decided that?

Martin McGuinness believed that it was necessary then ... and I and the majority of Republicans in the North agree with that

The majority of people in the North and the majority of people in the country didn't and don't agree with you and Martin McGuinness.

Of course not I never said they did you would hardly expect the oppressor to support the oppressed

Hardy

What? In what way did the majority of Irish people oppress you? Or even the majority of nationalist people in the North?

glens abu

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2010, 02:16:33 PM
What? In what way did the majority of Irish people oppress you? Or even the majority of nationalist people in the North?

Are you now trying to tell me the nationalist people of the North were not oppressed?I think they were and have already stated the reasons I think so in an earlier answer to ardmhachaabu.Therefore the majority of the people in the North are Unionist and made up the vast majority of the oppressors[RUC,UDR,etc;} so wouldnt expect them to support the oppressed.The Irish Government at all times supported the British and also collaborated with them [internment,extradition,and censorship etc;] and it is only when Adams,Hume started to move they began to take up a more neutral position

Hardy

Quote from: glens abu on March 01, 2010, 02:29:14 PM
Are you now trying to tell me the nationalist people of the North were not oppressed?

No. That's a perverse interpretation of my questions. They were clear enough. Read them again and you can't fail to understand what I'm asking.

glens abu

Quote from: Hardy on March 01, 2010, 02:32:54 PM
Quote from: glens abu on March 01, 2010, 02:29:14 PM
Are you now trying to tell me the nationalist people of the North were not oppressed?

No. That's a perverse interpretation of my questions. They were clear enough. Read them again and you can't fail to understand what I'm asking.

no it is not I have explained how Nationalists in the North were oppressed and the Unionist people acquiesced in that oppression and also how the Irish Government did likewise with the support of the majority of the Irish people.Think that should clear that up for you.

boojangles

Who decided that?

QuoteIt is not now.

Who decided that?

Its my opinion.I totally believe that this country would not be partially free from British rule without the use of violence. I also totally believe that Nationalists would still be oppressed in the North without the use of violence. Like it or not but fire had to be met with fire because it was the only way the Brits knew.

The overwhelming majority of people in the North have decided that violence is no longer needed.That was not the case 20 years ago.