Danny Murphy says Ulster Council may have to raise admission prices for C'ship

Started by T Fearon, February 24, 2010, 07:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Apparently attendances were down in Ulster last year with a resultant drop in income, so the ingenious way to woo fans back this year is to increase prices, according to D Murphy ???

Pangurban

Does it ever occur to our enlightened leadership, that charging inflated prices in the midst of a recession is a contributory factor too falling attendances and probably the main one. Its long past time the ordinary punter made their voices heard on this subject

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Pangurban on February 24, 2010, 08:57:02 PM
Does it ever occur to our enlightened leadership, that charging inflated prices in the midst of a recession is a contributory factor too falling attendances and probably the main one. Its long past time the ordinary punter made their voices heard on this subject

easy - vote with your feet, stay at home. especially as most of the games are televised live now anyway, so you dont miss much, only the atmosphere
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

tyronefan

Lady GAA GAA

While his policies are often ill-thought, Murphy still deserves a lot of credit for managing his committments with the Ulster Council and captaining Fulham so well.

armaghniac

Quoteeasy - vote with your feet, stay at home

The Derry solution. A good plan would be for Derry to not beat Armagh, then attendances would increase. There wasn't a problem when Armagh were doing better.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

The recession is a factor, but so also is the devalued nature of the Ulster Championship due to the qualifiers, ensuring that only the final itself, or a high profile meeting between Armagh and Tyrone , is likely to attract anything like a capacity attendance.

ps I quite enjoy posting sensibly. I might do it more often ;D

thewobbler

There's a couple of cocooning factors at play here too. Full-time GAA staff like Danny Murphy work very long hours, but they get paid much above the national average, certainly in Ulster. So a few quid to them is worth less than to many others. I'd also imagine they tend not to pay into matches; either they're on duty or get complimentaries (for family too). So the amount of times a year they fork out £100 for a family of four is kept to a minimum.

They also really have to begin factoring in the cost of a trip to Euroland for us Nordies. Crossing the border is like paying taxes these days; you know you have to do it sometime, but you'll keep it to a minimum if you can.

T Fearon

He mentions that prices will have to conform more closely to "exchange parities"

I would say Mr Murphy and others like him haven't paid into a GAA fixture since Moses got the tablets. ::)

lawnseed

agree with wobbler. trips down mexico way are an effing rip. had to laugh at the inlaws (mexicans) who thought that a feed costing 40euros a head "was'nt too bad" ???????? thats a days pay for your average nordie at the moment. things are tight dannys got it wrong. half a loafs better than no bread. :(
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

tyrone86

What did they expect when they made a deal with the BBC to show 7 out of the 8 games in the Ulster Championship live? Jaysis, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess what's going to happen in that scenario. 

Trevor Hill

thewobbler

If any GAA county had a loyal fanbase of 20k+, you would have a better point Trevor Hill.

I doubt any county in Ulster has a dedicated fanbase of over 7-8k.

When you've got a 35k stadium, then the fairweather fans are needed. The laws of supply and demand suggest you can't put the price up.

T Fearon

Average, £45 to see Spurs, £25 to see Celtic, but then again you can't watch Aidan Mc Geady down the field for nothing on a Sunday, or see Aaron Lennon at Mass evey week, can you?