UTV drops presenter Lynda Bryans

Started by ziggysego, February 24, 2010, 01:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

A Northern Ireland TV presenter has been dropped from the airwaves after her husband put himself forward as a candidate for the forthcoming election.

Lynda Bryans is a presenter on the station's flagship programme, UTV Live.

Her husband, Mike Nesbitt, has been picked as the UUP candidate for Strangford in the general election.

UTV managing director Michael Wilson said regulations on coverage of elections meant she could not present the programme until after the election.

"Lynda Bryans is a highly valued and respected member of the UTV Live team, however given the strict regulations regarding broadcast coverage of elections, UTV has advised Lynda that she cannot present UTV Live until after the election is over," he said.

"Lynda's professionalism and integrity has never been questioned by UTV and UTV has conveyed this to Lynda at all times during recent discussions."

UK communications regulator Ofcom has guidelines on how broadcasters cover elections to ensure impartiality.

As well as UTV, Ms Bryans has worked for the BBC as a news presenter and reporter for the Holiday programme and Animal Hospital.

On his website, Mr Nesbitt posted that it was an "awkward" situation, but that the station being concerned about perceptions of impartiality were "perfectly valid".

"But perceptions cut two ways and I hope UTV recognise Lynda Bryans as her own person, with her own mind, her own views, and with rights, just like all of us," he wrote.

"I would prefer if circumstances permit me to say no more on this subject until the election is over, for two reasons.
"One, I do not wish to be accused of using her upset at this knock-back to her career to further my own. Two, I do not wish to say anything that would endanger her next contract with UTV."
Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

one thing I must say is that utv are def an equal opportnities employer based on looking at the state of some of the people presenting tv on that station !
Even Adrian logan and frank Mitchell look like brad pitt hollywoodesque in comparison to their men and women colleagues !

OverTheBlackSpot

I mind Lynda Bryans getting the arse groped off her doing a live link to Maghera afer Derry won the All-Ireland !

red hander

Quote from: OverTheBlackSpot on February 24, 2010, 06:35:40 PM
I mind Lynda Bryans getting the arse groped off her doing a live link to Maghera afer Derry won the All-Ireland !

Why, was there no sheep about?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: red hander on February 24, 2010, 06:49:45 PM
Quote from: OverTheBlackSpot on February 24, 2010, 06:35:40 PM

Why, was there no sheep about?
They'd never seen a woman without a moustache before.