Connacht U21 Championship 2010

Started by moysider, February 21, 2010, 09:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: westmayo on February 25, 2010, 01:52:31 PM
You could also throw Enda Varley into that list Abbeysider he came on the final as far as I can remember and Alan Feeney was a sub on that u21 side too

Good call, subs used in 2006 Final:
S Ryan for Boyle (half time),
K Costello for Dillon,
E Varley for Hannick (both 40 mins)

ross4life

Quote from: AbbeySider on February 25, 2010, 11:51:22 AM
Quote from: Foreverhopeful on February 24, 2010, 12:33:07 AM
                                              Hennelly

E O Reilly                               K Keane                         M Walsh

S Mchale/Charlton                    L Keegan                        S Nally

J gibbons          G McDonagh/J Cafferty

Cathal Freeman/G mcDonagh     K McLoughlin                  Alan Freeman

N Douglas                                    Aidan O'Se                   J Doherty

SERIOUS team... if half those lads make it through to Senior we could have a fine team and panel in a couple of years at senior level.

Comparing it to the 2006 team, (current Mayo Senior players in bold)

K O'Malley;
T Howley, G Cafferkey, K Higgins (capt);
C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle;
S O'Shea, B Moran;
A Campbell, J Dillon, A Kilcoyne;
M Ronaldson, M Hannick, M Conroy

But how many of those will really make it as Top Senior players?

You only have to look at Galway & their underage players (apart from meehan) still haven't proven their worth at senior level
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

moysider

4 or 5 should make it which would be a great return.

muppet

Cunniffe is a current is injured senior player. Boyle played senior last year against Sligeach, if I am not mistaking.
MWWSI 2017

moysider

Conroy was one of the best forward prospects for some time and played in an AI final in 2004. Campbell also appeared to have made the cut and may yet come back into things. A player of quality.

Farrandeelin

I don't rate Barrett too highly, maybe that's because he never get's much of a chance but if he was good enough he would.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

rosnarun

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 25, 2010, 10:34:12 PM
I don't rate Barrett too highly, maybe that's because he never get's much of a chance but if he was good enough he would.
i dpmt hold with that argument , Remember were talking about Jom here the man who needed a trial game to see if Ciaran Mc Donald coujld play football.
even if it were not him any manager is going to be right about some player and wrong about others look how long was wasted grooming Austin(what is the story there this year?) while others might point to K oneill missing years for mayo , though it wasa lot more complicated than peopole give maughan credit for.
I think campbell the kilcullens sean grimes Stephen drake are all top quality player not on the mayo panel even for non footballing reasons
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

stephenite

Quote from: rosnarun on February 26, 2010, 12:58:27 AM
while others might point to K oneill missing years for mayo , though it wasa lot more complicated than peopole give maughan credit for.

Whatever about the rest of your post - the situation with O'Neill wasn't overly complicated, Maughan didn't like him so Kevin didn't play. When DB lost favour with Maughan that was the end of him and when Maughan was forced to bring him back in he dropped him first chance.

You might be correct about current players not playing for non footballing reasons, you might be wrong but less of the revisonism about your own clubs man, those that didn't get a look in his day were for non footballing reasons too

AbbeySider

Quote from: moysider on February 25, 2010, 10:32:51 PM

Conroy was one of the best forward prospects for some time and played in an AI final in 2004. Campbell also appeared to have made the cut and may yet come back into things. A player of quality.

Michael Conroy is currently in Oz if im not mistaken. I always liked him, thought he was a decent player.
Campbell is supposed to be playing great stuff for GMIT in the Sigerson this year, but I doubt he will ever be involved under JOM.

AbbeySider

Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2010, 10:04:57 PM
Cunniffe is a current is injured senior player. Boyle played senior last year against Sligeach, if I am not mistaking.

Is Cunniffe in college in Liverpool?

Cosmo Kramer

Just goes to show what it takes for Mayo to win an All-Ireland, in hindsight that must be one of the best under-21 teams ever produced (I think it will look even better in a few years time) and even still we were hanging on at the end down in Ennis. When you consider that Varley was a sub and I think Barry Kelly opted off the panel that year for personal reasons, the 15 below - All Mayo under-21 eigible that year would probably today beat all bar the top 6 or 7 senior teams in the country.

K O'Malley;
T Howley, G Cafferkey, K Higgins;
           S O'Shea, B Moran;
  A Campbell, B Kelly, A Kilcoyne;
M Ronaldson, E Varley, M Conroy.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Barney

They were actually two very teams in 2006

QuoteCORK: K O'Halloran; R Carey, C Murphy, S O'Donoghue; D Limerick, M Shields, E Cadogan; A O'Connor, P Kelly; F Gould, C Keane, P Kerrigan (capt); D Goulding, P O'Flynn, J Hayes.

Subs used: G O'Shea for Hayes (44 mins), F Lynch for Kelly (52)

MAYO: K O'Malley; T Howley, G Cafferkey, K Higgins (capt); C Barrett, T Cunniffe, C Boyle; S O'Shea, B Moran; A Campbell, J Dillon, A Kilcoyne; M Ronaldson, M Hannick, M Conroy.

Subs used: S Ryan for Boyle (half time), K Costello for Dillon, E Varley for Hannick (both 40 mins)

Yellow cards: Kilcoyne (Mayo) (14 mins), Gould (Cork) (26), Higgins (Mayo) (28), O'Donoghue (Cork) (32), Conroy (Mayo) (60+2);   Red card: O'Donoghue (41)

5 of the Mayo lads were only 18/19 at the time and we probably should have done a bit more at this level over the past two years. I think the 2007 team was a better team but we blew it against Laois.

This year I think we have a good team as well. However the heavier pitches is a great leveller and different counties put different emphasis on the competition. Hopefully we give it a right good rattle because it could be a classy Connacht championship.

Blue and Navy

There is no doubt Mayo have an excellent set-up, and have been unlucky i would say since winning in 06, really could have beaten Kerry in 08, but i'd be careful of Roscommon. They just lost to Westmeath in a challenge a few weeks back, and i know its only early but they were missing a good few, and Westmeath showed their no mugs beating a fancied Kildare outfit last week.

Cosmo Kramer

So the Rossies took a 22 point beating off Tyrone in a challenge over the weekend. Don't know how much you can read into that (Don't have any team info etc), but maybe the Connacht U-21 Championship isn't as strong as we thought.
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Zulu

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on February 28, 2010, 01:19:42 PM
Just goes to show what it takes for Mayo to win an All-Ireland, in hindsight that must be one of the best under-21 teams ever produced (I think it will look even better in a few years time) and even still we were hanging on at the end down in Ennis. When you consider that Varley was a sub and I think Barry Kelly opted off the panel that year for personal reasons, the 15 below - All Mayo under-21 eigible that year would probably today beat all bar the top 6 or 7 senior teams in the country.

K O'Malley;
T Howley, G Cafferkey, K Higgins;
           S O'Shea, B Moran;
  A Campbell, B Kelly, A Kilcoyne;
M Ronaldson, E Varley, M Conroy.

No offence but that team would probably be doing well to beat the bottom 5 or 6 senior teams in the country, and that was a serious Cork team too so it was no surprise it was a close game. There are some fine players on that squad but to suggest one U21 squad would be in the top ten teams in the country 4 years later is complete nonsense.