Leinster under 21 championship

Started by Blue and Navy, February 20, 2010, 05:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: INDIANA on March 07, 2010, 12:19:42 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on March 06, 2010, 06:37:44 PM
Bitterly dissappointed

pushed a dublin team to the pin of their collar....

couldn't put them away and that came back to haunt us as they tagged on points as we were pushing for a goal.....

Dublin will have to look long and hard at the selection. They didn't get it right yet again. Its the same every bloody year at this age group.

He was within a whisker of getting the Senior job ahead of Gilroy and the info I have is that the job is his after Gilroy next time.

INDIANA

Quote from: heffo on March 07, 2010, 05:51:41 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on March 07, 2010, 12:19:42 PM
Quote from: mattockranger on March 06, 2010, 06:37:44 PM
Bitterly dissappointed

pushed a dublin team to the pin of their collar....

couldn't put them away and that came back to haunt us as they tagged on points as we were pushing for a goal.....

Dublin will have to look long and hard at the selection. They didn't get it right yet again. Its the same every bloody year at this age group.

He was within a whisker of getting the Senior job ahead of Gilroy and the info I have is that the job is his after Gilroy next time.

its goodnight then so heffo. One leinster championship for the quality of players they've had over 3-4 years is a poor return.

mattockranger

please god your not referring to jim......travesty to gaelic football in my eyes if he was to get the job......
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

heffo

Quote from: mattockranger on March 08, 2010, 04:32:04 AM
please god your not referring to jim......travesty to gaelic football in my eyes if he was to get the job......

Thats who I'm referring to alright - whats your beef against him!?

mattockranger

ha no beef whatsoever....stupid comment

Maybe in time he will be Dublin manager

Another thing with Burnout the hot topic with the GAA at the moment.....how many of your Under21s played the sunday in the league??

we had 7 involved in the panel and 3 got substancial game time i know Dublin didn't even have them in the panel...disgraceful
fixture making
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

INDIANA

Quote from: mattockranger on March 08, 2010, 06:27:24 PM
ha no beef whatsoever....stupid comment

Maybe in time he will be Dublin manager

Another thing with Burnout the hot topic with the GAA at the moment.....how many of your Under21s played the sunday in the league??

we had 7 involved in the panel and 3 got substancial game time i know Dublin didn't even have them in the panel...disgraceful
fixture making

None played mattock thankfully. Carlow next. Looking forward to seeing Brendan Murphy heard a lot about him.

stevecw

Gutted tonight after losing the semi final to Dublin today, 0-14 to 0-13 after extra time.

The ref, who in general was very good, screwed us at the end. In last min the ball was cleanly caught by Brendan Murphy & he was surrounded by about 4 Dubs & dragged to the ground. It was a blatent free in to level it, and bring it to a replay which would have been the fair outcome. But for some crazy reason the ref gave a free out, and then blew final whistle despite there being at least another minute to go...so unfair. If this had happened at the other end u can be sure he'd have given a free in, these decisions always seem to go against us weaker teams.
Heartbreaking especially having led in injury time in normal time, but with so little time left the dublin attacker shud have been fouled out the field rather than let them run at us with only seconds to go and get the equaliser. Just like they tried to do every time Brendan Murphy touched the ball, they constantly fouled him.

Great effort from a good side, and hopefully despite how bad they will feel after today its promising for the future in Carlow that we have a few good lads at that age who will hopefully add to the seniors this year or in the next couple of years.

Brendan Murphy was unbelievably good today, best player on the pitch by far. He is some talent. Would be interesting what Indiana or any Dubs who were at the game made of him.
Dubs were good side, the no 7 Devereux i think his name is looks class, and the O'Rourke guy who came on as a sub added a lot too. Surprised he didn't start.

Hound

QuoteThe ref, who in general was very good, screwed us at the end.

Funny the different views people on opposing sides can have on refs! I wasn't at it myself, so this is third hand from a friend of mine. He said the ref was a disgrace and gave Dublin nothing throughout the game. Carlow were extremely physical, which is fair enough, but he said the amount of off the ball hitting by Carlowmen that went unpunished was unreal. A Dub had to be near decapitated to get a free, while Murphy only needed to be tipped to get a free.

He was astonished alright that Murphy didnt get the free at the end, given all that had gone before. But (not surprisingly!) he said it was the right decision. A few Dublin lads had surrounded Murphy, but were careful not to foul him, while Murphy was trying to win a free rather than play the ball, so was rightly called for overcarrying.

He did agree that Brendan Murphy was clearly the best player on the pitch.

I think most people believe Barry O'Rorke would be one of Dublin's better forwards, but he was poor v Louth in the last round, and there were other lads waiting in the wings who deserve a chance. He'll surely start in the final, but we've a lot of lads with great potential but plauged by inconsistency (not helped by lads having long spells on the bench at their clubs, with imports playing instead).

Croí na hÉireann

It took us 6 years but we're finally back in a Leinster Final.  ;D Back to Parnell Park where we came unstuck last year. Find it hard to believe a Leinster Final isn't at a neutral venue but sure we'll turn up anyway  :P If we come through ahead on the final whistle on Easter Sunday we'll certainly have won it the hard way; Kildare, Eastmeath, Laois and now the reigning champions, Dublin.

Decent performance from the lads, it was a tight, tough, nervous and entertaining game (typical underage game between the two counties) and fair play to Westmeath for having the bottle to see the match out.

The defence was much improved from the last day, especially the full back Maguire who was virtually unrecognisable, had a superb game back there. Kieran Martin is tough and tenacious and for a forward he doesn't give an inch. Coroon had a decent game on Donal Kingston, came into it more in the second half with some great fielding. Heslin was quiet by his standards but we can't expect awe inspiring stuff from one so young in every match. Great to see he wasn't intimidated by his opposite number anyway and he's well able for the physical stuff, needs to up his work rate though when tracking back.

In the forwards I thought Coffey was outstanding, he won every ball that came in to him and always did something productive with it. Lynam was quiet as well and he should be put in the corner the next day, much more effective in there as opposed to the 40. John Egan worked hard and certainly wasn't going to be subbed two matches in a row. Hard to believe Sharry was only a sub the first day out, he has certainly cemented his place now anyway.

I hope Hackett doesn't involve any of them with the seniors in the next couple of weeks and lets them concentrate on the upcoming final. We haven't been in an underage final for 10 years so it's vital these lads are given every chance to push on now and win it. We're gonna have to play like we did against Eastmeath in the second half for the full 70 mins the next day if we want to beat the Dubs in their own backyard. We have been improving though with every match played so far so hopefully these boys can step it up again.

Westmeath Abú.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

INDIANA

Disappointed yesterday really with Dublin. The aberration we hoped was against Louth continued against Carlow. Had Carlow won we could have had no complaints.  Some of the off the ball stuff from Carlow was unacceptbale though. In my view I think if one of the Dublin lads had subtly levelled one of the Carlow lads it would have sorted most of that out. But I'd sincerely hope we don't take that sort of shite of Westmeath or anyone else again.

Selection again is baffling and the manner in which the subs are used is hammering players confidence levels. How is O Rourke now 8th choice forward for example? Keogh comes on - does well and its taken off- the mind boggles. We're just not firing at present and considering we were on the softer side of the draw its been more than troublesome. Louth and Carlow should have beaten us really. I fins it hard to believe either Westmeath or Dublin will do anything in the all-ireland series. the standard in Leinster on my viewing has been crap thus far. Devereux did very well yesterday and outshone his senior colleagues.

Brendan Murphy was  adifferent class yesterday. the mind boggles how he didn't make it down under. I've never seen a GAA player more suited to that code. If he was with a strong county this guy would be recognised as one of the best in Ireland. I wonder will Carlow be able to hang onto him.

mountainboii

Quote from: INDIANA on March 18, 2010, 10:43:31 AM
Some of the off the ball stuff from Carlow was unacceptbale though. In my view I think if one of the Dublin lads had subtly levelled one of the Carlow lads it would have sorted most of that out. But I'd sincerely hope we don't take that sort of shite of Westmeath or anyone else again.

Your own lads don't seem too averse to 'that sort of shite' if the second half of your first game was anything to go by. Almost got knocked out because of it.

INDIANA

Quote from: AFS on March 18, 2010, 10:52:03 AM
Some of the off the ball stuff from Carlow was unacceptbale though. In my view I think if one of the Dublin lads had subtly levelled one of the Carlow lads it would have sorted most of that out. But I'd sincerely hope we don't take that sort of shite of Westmeath or anyone else again.

Your own lads don't seem too averse to 'that sort of shite' if the second half of your first game was anything to go by. Almost got knocked out because of it.

Dublin away from home are taking too much shite off these teams. Quite frankly its about time we started taking matters into our own hands. We used to have a reputation of taking no prisoners. Well its time to revisit those times. Don't start any rows just make sure you finish them. Too bloody  nice. Its time for this team to stand up for itself. These development teams are producing too many players with a lack of cut.
Dublin at senior level aren't taking any prisoners this year. time for the 21's to do the same.

Jinxy

Disappointed yesterday really with Dublin. The aberration we hoped was against Louth continued against Carlow. Had Carlow won we could have had no complaints.  Some of the off the ball stuff from Carlow was unacceptbale though. In my view I think if one of the Dublin lads had subtly levelled one of the Carlow lads it would have sorted most of that out. But I'd sincerely hope we don't take that sort of shite of Westmeath or anyone else again.

Selection again is baffling and the manner in which the subs are used is hammering players confidence levels. How is O Rourke now 8th choice forward for example? Keogh comes on - does well and its taken off- the mind boggles. We're just not firing at present and considering we were on the softer side of the draw its been more than troublesome. Louth and Carlow should have beaten us really. I fins it hard to believe either Westmeath or Dublin will do anything in the all-ireland series. the standard in Leinster on my viewing has been crap thus far. Devereux did very well yesterday and outshone his senior colleagues.

Brendan Murphy was  adifferent class yesterday. the mind boggles how he didn't make it down under. I've never seen a GAA player more suited to that code. If he was with a strong county this guy would be recognised as one of the best in Ireland. I wonder will Carlow be able to hang onto him.

He just got fed up with it, injuries etc.
They were mad keen to keep him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on March 18, 2010, 11:13:43 AM

He just got fed up with it, injuries etc.
They were mad keen to keep him.

No doubt he's have made it. I'd love to know how he scored scientfically down there. I'd say his scores are off the map for a GAA player. Never seen a guy who's able to run 21-21 relentlessly for 60 mins. His vertical jump is quite spectacular for a Gaa player. Head and shoulders above anybody yesterday on the pitch. Best young midfielder in Ireland by  a country mile. We'd never produce a player in that class.

Dougal

where and when is the final being played?have heard alot about murphy,would love to see him in action.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!