Leinster under 21 championship

Started by Blue and Navy, February 20, 2010, 05:50:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue and Navy

Any scores from today's games? Heard Westmeath were beating Kildare, but no final scores.

Rossfan

Westmeath won ...think it was 1-6 to 0-6 but not 100% sure
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blue and Navy

Cheers. Bit unexpected, i have to say. Might be a good boost for the seniors.

SLIGONIAN

Cadbury Leinster U21FC
Westmeath 1-6 Kildare 0-6
Louth 4-16 Wexford 0-8

Louth hammered us in a challenge last week in a similiar scoreline.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

shark

Was in Cusack Park yersterday.  Westmeath could have won by 10 points and then in the end Kildare almost got a draw.  Strange kind of game.  A lot of potential in that Westmeath team, although Meath will be very hard beaten the next day.  The midfield pairing for Westmeath are head and shoulders above what the senior team have at the moment.

INDIANA

Quote from: shark on February 21, 2010, 10:58:39 AM
Was in Cusack Park yersterday.  Westmeath could have won by 10 points and then in the end Kildare almost got a draw.  Strange kind of game.  A lot of potential in that Westmeath team, although Meath will be very hard beaten the next day.  The midfield pairing for Westmeath are head and shoulders above what the senior team have at the moment.
the more 21's that are kept away from your seniors the better I think. Looks a shambles.

shark

Quote from: INDIANA on February 21, 2010, 01:27:37 PM
the more 21's that are kept away from your seniors the better I think. Looks a shambles.

You could be right.  It's the same manager though.  Although speaking to a few lads involved with the 21's, they quite like him.  A lot of the problem with the senior team is there is an insufficient quality of player between the ages of 22 and 30, simple as.  Plus the star man for the 21's is still a minor this year, so is unlikely to be involved at senior level.

Dougal

Quote from: shark on February 21, 2010, 01:56:23 PM

You could be right.  It's the same manager though.  Although speaking to a few lads involved with the 21's, they quite like him.  A lot of the problem with the senior team is there is an insufficient quality of player between the ages of 22 and 30, simple as.  Plus the star man for the 21's is still a minor this year, so is unlikely to be involved at senior level.

whos the star man??
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

shark

Quote from: Dougal on February 21, 2010, 02:14:48 PM
Quote from: shark on February 21, 2010, 01:56:23 PM

whos the star man??

John Heslin.  Played midfield in the county senior final for St.Loman's last year while in his first year minor.  My own club played them in the 1/4 final and he kicked two points from fully 55 metres.  Will be interesting to see how he progresses.  Was very good yesterday, the Kildare supporters around me couldn't believe he was still a minor.

Rossfan

Awful time of year to  be playing a Championship do ye think?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Captain Scarlet

Was he no 9. In all fairness he was kept quiet in the second half by our man Cribbin when he was moved out. Still very impressive. Big lad and has lots of football. No 11, 14 are tidy players too.
Wouldn't read much into it as I have to say Kildare were fairly awful. Best of luck agin Meath all the same.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

shark

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on February 21, 2010, 06:57:44 PM
Was he no 9. In all fairness he was kept quiet in the second half by our man Cribbin when he was moved out. Still very impressive. Big lad and has lots of football. No 11, 14 are tidy players too.
Wouldn't read much into it as I have to say Kildare were fairly awful. Best of luck agin Meath all the same.

Yeah that was him alright.  Cribben is a fine footballer but he failed to pass to players in a better position on a few occasions when he really should have.  Kildare seemed to have plenty of footballers but no real idea as to how to play together, seemed very disjointed.  Having a match under their belts will stand to Westmeath, but a Meath side trained by Colm O'Rourke will take some beating.

AN other

Definitely agree that it was a strange type of game. Felt Westmeath were going to win comfortably up until the last few minutes. There was some good football played at times. Hopefully they'll learn to convert a bit more and progress a little further. Was a pretty typical first round game I would have said.
Interesting to note, that while I haven't made it to any of the senior league games yet, alot of the reports seem to indicate periods of dominance that weren't transferred to the scoreboard. Sounds like something that Hackett needs to be working on as it was definitely the case in the first half yesterday and some of the second.

Qwerty28

Longford badly beaten by Wicklow today 3.13 to 0.10 in Aughrim. Longford havent won an U 21 game since they reached final in 2006.

mattockranger

With the game coming up saturday...wats the collective feeling in Dublin about this one??
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital