Its snowing!

Started by mayogodhelpus@gmail.com, February 20, 2010, 04:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: armaghniac on December 01, 2010, 10:28:35 PM
Quote...and before anyone says "I used to have a car like that"....believe me...it was dangerous :'(...as any of the Jacks on here would know...there's a big ramp up onto the M50 from Sandyford....let me tell you that was good crack!!

Sure you'd cycle it in that time!

Probably you were going on at (lucky for some) junction 13. Not only has this a steep ramp up but is at the highest point on the M50 and a degree or so colder than Dublin generally. Enough to cause extra ice. Junction 14 might be better.

Yep...thats the one Armaghnaic....good fun at the toll at Drogheda as well...wankers in white vans pointin the wrong way and couldnt get turned ..tools!!
The Aristocrat Years

Declan

QuoteTook me 5 hours from Sandyford to Newry last night

Jaysus thats brutal altogether. My office is in Sandyford but thankfully I can work from home - How about 3 and a half hours from Dunshaughlin to Liffey Valley!!! - A neighbour took that long this afternoon :o :o

An Gaeilgoir

Left the office in Citywest yesterday eneving at half six. Was in Clontarf at half seven no bother, went through Inchacore and Fairview. Completed the return journey this morning in 50 minutes at 06.45. All those years in a MF 135 on a farm on the side of a mountain is paying dividends now. Although i had to get out to a truck driver this morning and tell him to keep the f**k back from me. Heading to Mayo this evening, will go via Galway motorway. Fingers crossed.

Declan

Blizzard like in Dunshaughlin this morning - 1 foot of snow on the ground here - Thank God for broadband

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Declan on December 02, 2010, 09:18:44 AM
Blizzard like in Dunshaughlin this morning - 1 foot of snow on the ground here - Thank God for broadband

I know it used to be an awful pain trying to load up the old board on Dial Up ;D

Zapatista

Will 2010 be the new 'Year of the Big Snow'?

Anyone know the current 'Year of the Big Snow'?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Zapatista on December 02, 2010, 09:23:52 AM

Not a patch on 1981, now that was f**king the "Year of the big snow"!  Drifts on the side of the road 6-8 feet high, 2-3 foot lying around the place, tramping through fields for 2-3 miles as the roads were blocked up to the granny's house, serious shite altogether!

Zapatista

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2010, 09:35:11 AM

Not a patch on 1981, now that was f**king the "Year of the big snow"!  Drifts on the side of the road 6-8 feet high, 2-3 foot lying around the place, tramping through fields for 2-3 miles as the roads were blocked up to the granny's house, serious shite altogether!

Are ye sure it wasn't 80? I thought 81 was 'the big thaw'?

An Gaeilgoir

1947. Lasted in the west until begining of May, my grandfater tells of the swans stranded on Lough Mask, with the foxes walking out to them.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Zapatista on December 02, 2010, 09:39:15 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on December 02, 2010, 09:35:11 AM

Are ye sure it wasn't 80? I thought 81 was 'the big thaw'?

Could be I was only 5 at the time, but 1980 or 1981 it was unreal!!! 

Does anyone remember 1995 All Ireland Club final when it teamed snow on top of Bellaghy!!  Isyourboydownyet was down that day a few times :P

Bingo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on December 02, 2010, 09:46:58 AM

1947. Lasted in the west until begining of May, my grandfater tells of the swans stranded on Lough Mask, with the foxes walking out to them.

Fair play to the Foxes for risking and limp to go out and save the stranded swans, shows you that we need to put our differences to one side and pull together to get through these difficult times.  ;)

supersarsfields

In Liverpool here and we've hardly been touched!! Got a slight dusting of snow on Sunday but that was it!!

Bud Wiser

It's official, Snow is heaviest in the East and north east.  It must be a firsttime that Cork have not put in a similar claim to "The biggest crowds gathered in Cork,  the largest protests were in Cork, Summer temperatures reached an all time hight today with the highest being recorded in Cork, highest rainfall was recorded today in Cork, and if me auntie had balls she would have been from Cork etc,etc,etc."

Well this time the highest snowfall is in the east, right outside Delany's pub in fact so up yours to all Corkonians as I raise my pint to at least one thing ye can't lay claim to this year, apart from the McCarthy Cup.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Hardy

You don't know the half of it, Bud. Cork can't lose. If they get more snow that anybody else it's "look at us - we got the most snow". If they get no snow it's "look at us - the best weather in the country. Sure they don't call us 'The Venice of the North' for nothing". It's no use trying to tell them they don't call them 'The Venice of the North' at all. Or that them yokes in the river are not gondolas, they're shopping trolleys.

Bud Wiser

Well marching through the streets instead of driving will be no stranger to them anyway, the best prepared county in Ireland for a snowfall. Some would say they are overtrained and if it gets too cold and they have to sit in they have no shortage of books.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"