Bernard Dunne retires

Started by GalwayBayBoy, February 19, 2010, 06:35:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteFormer WBA World Super-Bantamweight champion Bernard Dunne has announced his retirement from boxing.

Dunne confirmed his decision in an interview with RTÉ Sport's Joe Stack, claiming 'it is time to step on and face new challenges'.

The Neilstown man said: 'After a long thought-out process and speaking with my family I've decided to announce my retirement from boxing.

'I've achieved all my life dreams and ambitions in the sport and it is the right moment for me.

'I'm 30 years of age and it is time to step on and face new challenges.'

Dunne highlighted his victory over Ricardo Cordoba in front of a capacity crowd in Dublin's O2 Arena last March to win the WBA World Super-Bantamweight title as the highlight of his career.

The feat came on the same day as Ireland winning the Grand Slam in the Six Nations on what was one of the greatest days in the history of Irish sport.

'There have been so many highs in my career but to pick one out you'd have to pick the night against Cordoba.

'It is the stuff dreams are really made of. That night was, I suppose you could say, like a movie script.

OverTheBlackSpot

He'll be no lost to boxing, very over rated and unable to take a punch.

SLIGONIAN

I liked him, wish him all the best in his retirement. No one can say he didnt maximise is talent IMO and thats to be commended.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

i Remember Watching him win the World title, which was one of the best boxing matches i've seen,

today was the first i discovered he lost the title, i guess i was away & it was a low key story

anyways it's a shame as he still had few more fights in him
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross4life on February 19, 2010, 07:12:46 PM
i Remember Watching him win the World title, which was one of the best boxing matches i've seen,

today was the first i discovered he lost the title, i guess i was away & it was a low key story

Remember watching the time he lost to the Spanish fella in the Porter House in Westport, the whole pub cheered when he was knocked out.

I never rated him myself, he kind of got on my nerves.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

thejuice

His fight vs Ricardo Cordoba was brilliant irrespective of what happened in his career before or after, what he achieved that night, the character and resiliance that was shown by Dunne was phenomonal. Nothing can take that away from him, it was a great night for Irish sport and a great night for boxing. I wish him all the best.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ross4life

i don't no other than wanting to see Pacman v mayweather i think the interest in boxing is long gone, UFC has certainly taken over in recent years
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

TacadoirArdMhacha

Some pathetic comments there. Right enough Irish sport is overrun with down to earth decent fellas who work their socks off, provide great entertainment to their followers and succeed at the highest levels. He'll be no "lost" at all  ::)

Best of luck in retirement Bernard.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

magickingdom

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 19, 2010, 07:15:57 PM

Remember watching the time he lost to the Spanish fella in the Porter House in Westport, the whole pub cheered when he was knocked out.

unbelievable, really couldnt make that up. a guy goes out definitely makes the most of his talents and the lads in the porter house laugh at him...

turk

Bernard Dunne is a very nice man! Sorry to see him retire. Bernard was synonymous with the return of big time boxing to the Irish armchair fan

turk

Without generalising, you'll find a lot of apes in pubs

Onlooker

I never knew that Bernard Dunne fought "the Spanish fella" in the Porter House in Westport. That is a crazy venue for a World Title Fight.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Onlooker on February 19, 2010, 08:46:43 PM

I never knew that Bernard Dunne fought "the Spanish fella" in the Porter House in Westport. That is a crazy venue for a World Title Fight.
Was thinking myself that his career was on the wane when he was having his worl title fights in a boozer in Westport!

mylestheslasher

Although we all like to hate the dubs, I actually thought Bernard Dunne was a nice fella whenever I heard him interviewed - even in defeat. He reached the top level of his sport and fair play to him for  that.

sammymaguire

comes across like a decent guy but certainly not world champion pedigree and made the right decision to retire

fair play for a glittering night and memorable career
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!