Padraic Joyce to miss rest of league campaign

Started by Duine Eile, February 18, 2010, 06:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

From Hogan Stand:

Galway football boss Joe Kernan has been shook by the news that ace attacker Padraig Joyce is set to miss out on the remainder of the county's NFL campaign.

Joyce had hoped to get rid of a niggling Achilles tendon problem within the next month but medics have informed him that he needs more recovery time.

Joyce is currently recuperating from having an operation on his tendon last September.
Team-manager Kernan is keeping his fingers crossed that the 32 year old Killererin clubman will be at the height of his powers 'cum championship time.

"A player of his class and experience is a great asset in any squad," said Kernan. "Hopefully, he'll be back to full power and fitness for the championship. That's the target now."

Bugger anyway, I know the aim was to be back for the next league game against Cork, must be a fairly serious setback for him to be out til May. It'll be a hard ask to come straight into championship football with no game time under his belt. :-\

Farrandeelin

Sorry DE, but I think Joyce, great and all he is was kind of short of pace last year. If that's the case, he may not get much time this year (unless Galway go on until the business end of the championship).
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

At this stage of his career he hardly needs to be playing league football anyway and the rest of them might as well get used to playing without him as he won't be around too much longer. Probably wanted a couple of games for sharpness alright but I'm sure he'll be ready to contribute come May.

Duine Eile

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 18, 2010, 08:39:03 PM
Sorry DE, but I think Joyce, great and all he is was kind of short of pace last year. If that's the case, he may not get much time this year (unless Galway go on until the business end of the championship).

He's been carrying this injury for a couple of years, really curtailed him last year. The complete break might do him the world of good, who knows. Still has a place on the Galway panel but probably as more of an impact substitution at this stage. On another note, we still have no captain, thought Joe would have one in place by now.

mckieran

QuoteOn another note, we still have no captain, thought Joe would have one in place by now.

Would it be fair to name 1 before the Corofin lads returned?

Duine Eile

I suppose that's true, they're rotating it at the minute, Mike Meehan was captain against Monaghan. Its hard to see who he's going to pick though, the team doesn't really have any real leaders at the minute. Maybe Mike Meehan but would that be only adding to the enormous pressure already on him.

AbbeySider

This could be the straw to break the back of Joyces football career?

He wasnt in the best of shape last year, let alone to try and get to championship fitness this year while missing the whole league campaign.

mckieran

QuoteI suppose that's true, they're rotating it at the minute, Mike Meehan was captain against Monaghan. Its hard to see who he's going to pick though, the team doesn't really have any real leaders at the minute. Maybe Mike Meehan but would that be only adding to the enormous pressure already on him.

Hanley or Blake would be suitable as captain. M.Meehan would be a good choice too.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mckieran on February 19, 2010, 12:46:06 PM
QuoteI suppose that's true, they're rotating it at the minute, Mike Meehan was captain against Monaghan. Its hard to see who he's going to pick though, the team doesn't really have any real leaders at the minute. Maybe Mike Meehan but would that be only adding to the enormous pressure already on him.

Hanley or Blake would be suitable as captain. M.Meehan would be a good choice too.

We reckoned it would be between Meehan and Hanley. Both nailed on to start every game if fit and both playing well.

mckieran

QuoteWe reckoned it would be between Meehan and Hanley. Both nailed on to start every game if fit and both playing well.

Its strange that there are so few players certain of gaining a starting place. The current players form's fluctuate up & down too much...

Kernan had McGeeney captain while at Armagh so I wouldnt be surprised to see Blake get it provided he does well during the league.

In the past, the captain was usually the captain for the championship & the league after the championship. So I dont see any rush in appointing one. I;d leave it until the league is over and then decide on a championship captain. Panel will more settled then.

Anyways from what Ive seen so far, deciding who will be captain should well down the list of Kernans worries!