Darragh O Se to retire

Started by magickingdom, February 17, 2010, 10:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

5 Sams

Quote from: lawnseed on February 17, 2010, 09:50:20 PM
2 under 21 all Ireland's as well lads. some man for one man. mike McCarthy's pulling the plug as well according to rte radio at lunchtime. alot of the new lads don't seem to be blessed with darraghs physique transition beckons. did darragh play for ireland in compromise rules? i think he did seem to remember him with the coke jersey on???

The Aristocrat Years

muscles magoo

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on February 17, 2010, 11:01:22 PM
Quote from: muscles magoo on February 17, 2010, 08:40:36 PM
A player I always liked. A decent grafter.

Tidy dig Muscles. Nice one.  ;)

Childish, but it would have been remiss of me to let it pass...

Hardy

He was a man in the game - a rare specimen these days.

I too was amazed to realise he only has three All-Stars. I can't imagine that in three separate years when Kerry were champions there were two better midfielders in the country.

Main Street

He has retired like an undefeated champion. In his last season he was used selectively with purpose and effect by Kerry but in all probability the signs were there that it would be his last season at the top.
A classic midfielder who was the constant inspiration in the great Kerry teams over the past 15 years.

mountainboii

Quote from: Hardy on February 18, 2010, 10:04:57 AM

I too was amazed to realise he only has three All-Stars. I can't imagine that in three separate years when Kerry were champions there were two better midfielders in the country.

Four.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: AFS on February 18, 2010, 10:15:53 AM

Four.
RTÉ credited him with 3 last night too.

mountainboii

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 18, 2010, 10:49:33 AM

Four.

Numpties. Probably going off wikipedia, which has it wrong too.

2000, 2002, 2006 and 2007.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: AFS on February 18, 2010, 10:59:03 AM

Four.

Numpties. Probably going off wikipedia, which has it wrong too.

2000, 2002, 2006 and 2007.
Mad that the State broadcaster can't get their facts right

5 Sams

The Irish Times - Thursday, February 18, 2010

Sticking in there through good and bad times

Heart of the Kingdom beats dignified retreat after 16 well-storied seasons.KERRY FOOTBALL RETIREMENT OF DARRAGH Ó SÉ: Beneath Ó Sé's easy going surface there is a doggedness and a will which equipped him well for the long haul, writes TOM HUMPHRIES

THIS MORNING in the coffee shop of a hotel in Tralee Darragh Ó Sé will most likely be found for a while in the company of Mikey Sheehy and a handful of All-Ireland medallists from various eras of Kerry's footballing past. They'll be sipping tea or coffee, crumbling scones for the buttering and happily cutting each other to pieces with blades and shafts of wit. Ó Sé will get a special going over as his companions trawl through his obituaries looking for material.

It's a college of serious football talk where nobody takes themselves seriously. If you wanted an example of what makes Kerry football different from football just about anywhere else an hour of earwigging would suffice. Wearing a Kerry jersey or having enough medals to give as gifts to everyone of your close family guarantees you no celebrity in Kerry. You take your football seriously. Yourself not seriously at all. And you will be fine.

If you had to bet you would say they will start the dismantling of Ó Sé this morning with the business of there having been any announcement at all. Somebody will glance up from a paper and say 'Hey, Darragh, it says here you are retiring. Yerra, I thought you were gone years ago'.

And Darragh will laugh. Perhaps one of the most surprising things about Darragh Ó Sé's surprising career is he actually announced it had all come to an end. He joked often that he would retire whenever his friend Maurice Fitzgerald retired. Maurice is long gone but not officially retired. Darragh has beaten him to the punch just when it seemed possible that he might have enough fuel in the tank and enough sense of his own capacity to hang on forever, making briefer but ever more influential appearances every year.

Darragh Ó Sé has always been about surprise, though. Small for a modern midfielder and burdened by having an uncle from whose shadow it would seem impossible to emerge, there was very little excitement about his championship debut back in 1994.

The emergence of what looked like a moderate midfielder, albeit one with a famous name wasn't something which instantly suggested the end of famine in Kerry back then.

Beneath Ó Sé's easy-going surface, however, there is a doggedness and a will which equipped him well for the long haul. His 15-year career would make him one of those icons for whom the Christian name is sufficient for recognition, bring him an unlikely haul of six All-Ireland medals, and leave him with a reputation that makes him head and shoulders the best midfielder since Jack O'Shea or Brian Mullins roamed the land.

He achieved all that in a game which had become increasingly attritional as the years went past. He achieved it while appearing to whistle a happy tune as he worked. There was always time to smell the roses and have the fun.

The good days were too many to enumerate. Easier to skip a stone over the bad ones. The All-Ireland club final of 2004 when Gaeltacht succumbed to Caltra with Darragh as captain was a day which hurt him deeply.

He has always played for club and county with a deep and respectful sense of where he is from. That would have been a day of days.

That March afternoon, an All-Ireland carelessly lost to Armagh in 2002, a humiliation at the hands of Meath in 2001 and the small sheaf of failures to Tyrone, those would be the bad days and even they did little to subtract from the fun he got from it all. Horses fun, as his friend Mikey Sheehy would often say.

He was old school. As a succession of managers tended to the Kerry team through the appliance of science, Darragh clung to the belief that the green and gold jersey was sufficient motivation for anybody and the sight of the green and gold jersey in full flight just "upped the dosage" for any opposition side. The scientific exploration would continue and Darragh would happily set about breaking the "carraigs" of the manager concerned.

That confident sense of difference created a useful energy in its own way. On training nights in Killarney the Irish speaking players and those close to them created the nucleus to the team and drove the others on with a mix of goading and encouragement.

"You have to believe you will start," he said of last summer when his slow return to county action after the league led most to believe that he wouldn't be starting.

"Training is no good unless you believe that. The same as the fellas I compete with for the place. They have to believe they will start. And that makes for good football. For aggressiveness and physical play and that brings the team on.

"There is a bond there. You know you wouldn't be where you are but for those players who push you on. There is a fierce competitiveness there between you as individuals but at the same time there is a bond because you know that by competing as hard as you can with each other you make the team better."

That has been the philosophy which has driven Darragh Ó Sé on through the thick and the thin, seen him outlast famine and controversy and a succession of midfield partners.

Took the lumps, gave the lumps and walks away with an All-Ireland medal still warm in his pocket.

The end of an era. He wouldn't let that be said though.

"Listen, they won't be retiring the jersey. It's there for the next fella."
The Aristocrat Years

Dinny Breen

He retires to the pantheon with all the other gods of the game. Definitely a warrior you would love to have on your side as you head into battle.

#newbridgeornowhere

full back

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 18, 2010, 11:59:16 AM

THIS MORNING in the coffee shop of a hotel in Tralee Darragh Ó Sé will most likely be found for a while in the company of Mikey Sheehy and a handful of All-Ireland medallists from various eras of Kerry's footballing past. They'll be sipping tea or coffee, crumbling scones for the buttering and happily cutting each other to pieces with blades and shafts of wit.

Do any of these Kerry hoors work?

Sitting in the coffee shop having the craic with the lads FFS
Jammy b4stards

5 Sams

Quote from: full back on February 18, 2010, 12:59:07 PM

THIS MORNING in the coffee shop of a hotel in Tralee Darragh Ó Sé will most likely be found for a while in the company of Mikey Sheehy and a handful of All-Ireland medallists from various eras of Kerry's footballing past. They'll be sipping tea or coffee, crumbling scones for the buttering and happily cutting each other to pieces with blades and shafts of wit.

Jammy b4stards

Have to agree Full back....a few years ago I went into Charlie Nelligans in Tralee one Monday morning for the breakfast and there was himself, Ger Power and Ogie sitting having the crack.....they have a great time to themselves alright.
The Aristocrat Years

full back

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 18, 2010, 01:01:38 PM
Quote from: full back on February 18, 2010, 12:59:07 PM

Jammy b4stards

Have to agree Full back....a few years ago I went into Charlie Nelligans in Tralee one Monday morning for the breakfast and there was himself, Ger Power and Ogie sitting having the crack.....they have a great time to themselves alright.

Maybe there is something behind it all

I mind in the 90's Ross, DJ or a few of the Down lads would always be knocking about the town.
Not many Down ones floating about now though 5 Sams ;)

Hardy

Four.

I should have known better. After all, these are the people who bring you Aertel. And Marty Morrissey. I could get rolling now, but I'll stop.