Coughlan V O'Leary

Started by Zapatista, February 17, 2010, 08:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

Now I'm no fan of Coughlan but I never believe a word O'Leary says.

Is it time for a Harry Hill style fininsh to this?

The Tánaiste, Mary Coughlan, has said she believes that a positive outcome to the Ryanair proposal to establish a maintenance facility at Dublin Airport is still achievable - if common sense, goodwill and determination are shown.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0217/ryanair.html

Denn Forever

Is Michael being a dog in a Manger?

Hes been trying to get a toe hold in Dublin Airport for a while now so why not accept.  He can then renege on any promises he has made citing FF as precedent.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Rossie11

Only because O'Leary made this public we wouldn't have known anything about the story.
You have to wonder how many more jobs have not materialised due to Coughlans incompetence.

O'Leary is acting the maggot but he has all the cards at moment.
As a customer of Ryanair I have no problem with him getting the best
possible deal for them.

muppet

Quote from: Rossie11 on February 17, 2010, 11:57:17 AM
Only because O'Leary made this public we wouldn't have known anything about the story.
You have to wonder how many more jobs have not materialised due to Coughlans incompetence.

possible deal for them.

I'm no fan of FF but here is the real story.

Hanger 6 has recently been leased to Aer Lingus for 20 years. They are already occupying it.

O'Leary wants Coughlan to order the DAA to throw Aer Lingus out and give it to him for nothing.

It is a stunt, by the biggest stunt in the country and the media should know better but unfortunately they hang on every utterance from his bowels. Every interview with him turns into an advert for Ryanair. That is part of his game, free advertising.

The most sickening thing is that he is playing with the hopes of hundreds of people who lost their jobs recently.
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: muppet on February 17, 2010, 12:08:48 PM

Hanger 6 has recently been leased to Aer Lingus for 20 years. They are already occupying it.

O'Leary wants Coughlan to order the DAA to throw Aer Lingus out and give it to him for nothing.

It is a stunt, by the biggest stunt in the country and the media should know better but unfortunately they hang on every utterance from his bowels. Every interview with him turns into an advert for Ryanair. That is part of his game, free advertising.

The most sickening thing is that he is playing with the hopes of hundreds of people who lost their jobs recently.

I tend to agree. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place on this one. It's worth remembering though that the original SRT jobs were lost by FF.

An Gaeilgoir

possible deal for them.
i agree , if this was a US multinational the govt. would be waiting for them at the airport with their cheque books opened, plenty of time for meetings, press conferences etc. In reality the Govt. don't have to spend a cent on these jobs, but O Leary has them by the nuts now, they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. I have met Miss Coughlan in a professional manner a few years ago with my father and a group of west of irealnd farmers( it was the time she was the minister for Agri). All she was able to say to the group was f$%£ this and that, f$%£ Europe and their laws and so on for an hour. We couldn't believe how badly perpared she was for the meeting and how incapable  and incompetent she was in trying to get her point across. Her personal hygeine was questionable that day too, but that is a seperate matter i guess.A government minister and Tanaiste now, its no wonder the country is the way it is. . I do a lot of work in the airport and we recently finished a job in hangar 6. The daa are setting up the hangar at the moment so it can be sub-divided and rented out to a number of different airlines for line-maintenance works, and thats the reason i think the Govt. and DAA are holding out, there is big money to be made. O Leary is acting the maggot, no doubt about it but the work practices i see out in the airport daily involving the DAA are astonishing. O Leary knows this and i wouldn't blame him for not dealing with them.

mick999

possible deal for them.

He doesn't want it for nothing,

He is willing to pay for it ...

His point is that Aer Lingus aren't using for anything at the moment ...

All the correspondance between Him and our Incompetent minister is on Ryanair Website :

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/o-leary-invites-tanaiste-to-meet-on-300-jobs

bingobus

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on February 17, 2010, 12:12:46 PM

possible deal for them.
i agree , if this was a US multinational the govt. would be waiting for them at the airport with their cheque books opened, plenty of time for meetings, press conferences etc. In reality the Govt. don't have to spend a cent on these jobs, but O Leary has them by the nuts now, they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. I have met Miss Coughlan in a professional manner a few years ago with my father and a group of west of irealnd farmers( it was the time she was the minister for Agri). All she was able to say to the group was f$%£ this and that, f$%£ Europe and their laws and so on for an hour. We couldn't believe how badly perpared she was for the meeting and how incapable  and incompetent she was in trying to get her point across. Her personal hygeine was questionable that day too, but that is a seperate matter i guess.A government minister and Tanaiste now, its no wonder the country is the way it is. . I do a lot of work in the airport and we recently finished a job in hangar 6. The daa are setting up the hangar at the moment so it can be sub-divided and rented out to a number of different airlines for line-maintenance works, and thats the reason i think the Govt. and DAA are holding out, there is big money to be made. O Leary is acting the maggot, no doubt about it but the work practices i see out in the airport daily involving the DAA are astonishing. O Leary knows this and i wouldn't blame him for not dealing with them.

No its not, tell us more  ;D

Zapatista

Quote from: mick999 on February 17, 2010, 12:18:15 PM

possible deal for them.

He doesn't want it for nothing,

He is willing to pay for it ...

His point is that Aer Lingus aren't using for anything at the moment ...

All the correspondance between Him and our Incompetent minister is on Ryanair Website :

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/news/o-leary-invites-tanaiste-to-meet-on-300-jobs

I think this is key. While Aer Lingus have it and can do what they want with it they are not creating jobs in it. O'Leary claims he can bring jobs which he thinks means Coughlan should give it to him. In fairness to him jobs are (supposedly) a government priority yet Coughlan seems to be defending herself with a technicality.

Billys Boots

QuoteIt's worth remembering though that the original SRT jobs were lost by FF.

Ahem, and a refusal of the trade union movement to consider the reality of competitiveness in a market economy.   ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Zapatista

Quote from: Billys Boots on February 17, 2010, 12:41:18 PM
QuoteIt's worth remembering though that the original SRT jobs were lost by FF.

Ahem, and a refusal of the trade union movement to consider the reality of competitiveness in a market economy.   ::)

That too but I think as the biggest share holder in Aer LIngus and the people who privitised Aer Lingus they were in a unique position to secure these jobs.

Denn Forever

Lively debate in the Dail but who is telling the truth?

Dáil discusses Hangar 6 and airport jobs
Wednesday, 17 February 2010 12:54
The Taoiseach has told the Dáil that Aer Lingus has a contract for Hangar 6 at Dublin Airport and the lease could not be broken.

In one of the liveliest Dáil sessions for sometime, Brian Cowen was accused of not being in charge and of allowing the Dublin Airport Authority to run the country.

This afternoon Ryanair said there was no legal impediment to moving Aer Lingus out of the facility.

AdvertisementFine Gael leader Enda Kenny said the Government was just making excuses while 300 Ryanair jobs went abroad.

He urged the Taoiseach to call Ryanair's Michael O'Leary's bluff, if he thought that he was bluffing. He said the Taoiseach should call in Mr O'Leary today.

Mr Cowen told the Dáil that the Government was not indifferent about the jobs, but he said they could not break the law.

He said Aer Lingus had a contract for the hangar being sought by Ryanair and he said Aer Lingus indicated they needed it.

He told Mr Kenny that if he tried to tear up that lease, there would be consequences.

But a spokesperson for Ryanair told RTÉ News this afternoon that Tánaiste Mary Coughlan admitted last night during a meeting that the DAA has a clause in Aer Lingus' lease for Hangar 6, which allows them to move Aer Lingus out of it.The airline says there is no legal impediment to locating the jobs in the hangar.

Ryanair says it appears that the Government is more concerned about protecting Aer Lingus' occupation of an empty hangar than they are about creating 300 new jobs.

Coughlan remains hopeful

Meanwhile, the Tánaiste said she believes that a positive outcome to the Ryanair proposal to establish a maintenance facility at Dublin Airport is still achievable.

Ms Coughlan said an agreement can be reached if common sense, goodwill and determination are shown.

She made her comments in a statement after last night's meeting with Mr O'Leary.

Ms Coughlan said she continues to be available and asked Mr O'Leary to reflect further on the situation.

The Tánaiste said she inquired as to why Hangar 6, which is licensed to Aer Lingus for the next 20 years, was the only option being pursued by Ryanair.

Mr O'Leary said the minister confirmed that she will not request the DAA to ask Aer Lingus to vacate the hangar formerly used by SR Technics.

He said he will now be approaching other airports in Europe about the jobs
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Zapatista

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0217/ryanair.html
The Taoiseach has told the Dáil that Aer Lingus has a contract for Hangar 6 at Dublin Airport and the lease could not be broken.

Ryanair said this afternoon that there was no legal impediment to moving Aer Lingus out of the facility

---

Mr Cowen told the Dáil that the Government was not indifferent about the jobs, but he said they could not break the law. :D

Willie wasn't sitting beside them so I suppose he wasn't included in this

muppet

Last summer Ryanair had 28 aircraft based in Dublin airport. Now they have 15. Last year they had 4 in Shannon. Shortly they will have only one (he promised to create 2,000 jobs there only 4 years ago). Spare us the Michael O'Leary wants to create jobs bullshit.

Aer Lingus recently moved their line maintenance into hanger 6. Shortly they will move all of their operations section and probably then will move their entire Head Office block into Hanger 6.

They acquired the lease fairly when it was offered. SRT were known to be leaving a year ago and he stayed quiet.

Imagine if Texaco promised to create jobs if the Tainiste threw Shell out of the Corrib Gas Field? That is the sort of petty tripe O'Leary is up to. Amazing how some people lick it up though.
MWWSI 2017

tyronefan

Quote from: Zapatista on February 17, 2010, 03:21:56 PM

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0217/ryanair.html

Ryanair said this afternoon that there was no legal impediment to moving Aer Lingus out of the facility

---

Mr Cowen told the Dáil that the Government was not indifferent about the jobs, but he said they could not break the law. :D

Willie wasn't sitting beside them so I suppose he wasn't included in this

they should have give willie the lease,  he would have made a few changes and Ryanair would have been in there before the end of the week