Harte threatens live TV ban !

Started by orangeman, February 16, 2010, 09:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Had to laugh at Austin O'Callaghan on BBC News about this. He said Tyrone have been caught "red handed" :D :D :D :D

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2010, 07:20:19 PM
Surely not. It's the players' responsibility not to be at the shennanigans in the first place. To claim they shouldn't be dealt with, even though half the country might have seen it on TV, because some lad in the Wexford Offaly game isn't under the same scrutiny is a strawman argument.

So why don't they apply the same degree of scrutiny to every game that's been televised (see previous posts for examples of where they didn't)?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Indeed TYP, I'd have no problem with on the field transgressions being retrospectively punished (and I have my doubts whether the Derry-Tyrone game even merited such), but there's a whole lot of transparency and statutory process missing -- a challenge might force them to set the procedures on a solid logical and legally resilient footing, but I wouldn't bet too much on it.

Puckoon

We need a fecking statute of limitations per transgression too.

Bogball XV

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2010, 07:20:19 PM
I don't get this. I realise it's unfair that only some counties get the TV treatment, and the GAA should get copies of the DVDs of all games that are played to review them, but even then a TV company will have multiple cameras whereas the local bucko DVDing the match for the county will have one or two max, so it's still going to be inequitable.

However, does that mean that an incident picked up on camera should *not* be acted upon, simply because someone else might get away with it in a different game?

Surely not. It's the players' responsibility not to be at the shennanigans in the first place. To claim they shouldn't be dealt with, even though half the country might have seen it on TV, because some lad in the Wexford Offaly game isn't under the same scrutiny is a strawman argument.
that's part of the argument, the other part is that either the referee's on field decisions are final or not, will we see an all ireland final replayed this year because an umpire called a score wrongly and the ref on reviewing it decides that maybe it was a score after all?  What about last year's hurling final, will the ref decide that as it was never a penalty then maybe the game should be replayed too?  Where does it end?  What's to stop the gaa providing 3/4 cameras for each ground if they're intent on using video evidence?
As I said last week, Derry and Monaghan both had players suspended after their first round championship game last year in a huge furore, where was the consistency after that?

Longrunsthefox has a great post back there somewhere, maybe the cccc should read and take on board some of the potential issues.

lawnseed

i get the feeling that not only is harte worried about tyrones slippage in performance/results but also that tv postmatch scrutiny of the amount of lets say his teams "darkside" eg the non-stop nipping,privates slapping,stamping etc that goes on could leave him with no team at all. armagh got the name of being a physical team ten years ago and now even though they are of average size and smaller they're still potrayed as huge. micky doust protest too much! and you reap what you sow. his yapping is liable to attract tv coverage/scrutiny not deflect it. producers are gonna say whats he got to hide lets have a look
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

armaghniac

Quoteyou reap what you sow

You should know that, lawnseed!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AZOffaly

But the CCCCCCCCCCCCC has said they will review available video evidence and charge people if necessary post the game. I think the principle of asking (i.e. telling) the referee to change his mind after viewing the video is stupid, but I think the principle of retrospectively using the technology to punish blackguarding is fine.

Of course all games should be the same (i.e. reviewed) and they should be consistent, but that's another tangential point. The core point that Mickey seems to be making is that if the TV wasn't there, they'd have some more players available to them is a strange one. It's like a lad getting done on CCTV for robbing Superquin giving out because his mate who robbed Centra got away with it because they don't have working cameras.

muppet

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2010, 10:00:05 PM
But the CCCCCCCCCCCCC has said they will review available video evidence and charge people if necessary post the game. I think the principle of asking (i.e. telling) the referee to change his mind after viewing the video is stupid, but I think the principle of retrospectively using the technology to punish blackguarding is fine.

Of course all games should be the same (i.e. reviewed) and they should be consistent, but that's another tangential point. The core point that Mickey seems to be making is that if the TV wasn't there, they'd have some more players available to them is a strange one. It's like a lad getting done on CCTV for robbing Superquin giving out because his mate who robbed Centra got away with it because they don't have working cameras.

It is a measure of their success that they are sought after by the cameras. He should embrace the challenges that success brings rather than whinge about it.
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

Chairman Ciaran Mc Laughlin said tonight that discussions have taken place and that he expects to be taking the matter up with the GAA hierarchy soon.

Tyrone going to make an issue out of this.

tyssam5

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 16, 2010, 10:00:05 PM

That's a silly comparison. What we are talking about is 8 teams playing in NFL Div 1. Is it fair that some teams, due to extra TV games, will have their players subject to extra scrutiny. Simple answer is no. All games are looked at or none.

Onion Bag

Why has noone on here ever had a problem with this scrutiny before, Only Mickey Harte brought this up everyone else would have just accepted it as the system. after watching the report on BBC tonight, Penrose and Gormley cant argue, thats the 1st i seen of it,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Zapatista

Quote from: Onion Bag on February 16, 2010, 10:21:42 PM
Why has noone on here ever had a problem with this scrutiny before, Only Mickey Harte brought this up everyone else would have just accepted it as the system. after watching the report on BBC tonight, Penrose and Gormley cant argue, thats the 1st i seen of it,

Mickey Harte is a Profit.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Why has noone on here ever had a problem with this scrutiny before, Only Mickey Harte brought this up everyone else would have just accepted it as the system.

So you only have ears for Mickey Harte, like others have only eyes for his team?  :P Where the feck were you when Damien Cassidy was giving out stink just last week (before Harte had said a word)?

ONeill

Mickey has never been a yes-man like a few others. Some are too weak-livered to speak out for fear of harming any office job they might have been gearing towards at HQ.

Mickey's right, the system is wrong and needs to be looked at. You shouldn't be able to end a player's career in the Division 2 game and get no suspension, yet headlock someone in a TV game and you get a month after a review of Setanta's coverage. 
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.