Lack of receipts at National League games 13th Feb 2010

Started by Tomorrow is another day, February 14, 2010, 05:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomorrow is another day

T Fearon - But they are not in place. I blind man can see that. In some rare occassions as noted by contributors here a systems appears to be in place, however on the vast majority of cases it does not.

T Fearon

How do you know what is and what is not in place? For all you or I know there could be hidden cameras, spot checks etc etc. I would be confident that there is a system in place for recording and verifying cash receipts, just like there is in all businesses.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Think there might be a legal issue here, certainly in the 6 counties anyway. You could scrutinize this under contract law, the ticket/stub is exchanged for the cash in lieu of the game, bit like a bus ticket.

So Fearon, you're saying grounds would invest in hidden cameras before a round of ticket stubs? Even a raffle book would work in theory. We know from experience of handing over money and not receiving a stub, its not an issue of small scale corruption, more a legal issue.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

T Fearon

Petty, in my opinion, and for what its worth, all entrants to Crossmaglen on Sunday were given tickets at the stiles, even season ticket holders.

Why create unnecessary expense and further bureaucracy. If there is no evidence that its broke why fix it?

mountainboii

Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2010, 09:45:09 AM
Petty, in my opinion, and for what its worth, all entrants to Crossmaglen on Sunday were given tickets at the stiles, even season ticket holders.

Why create unnecessary expense and further bureaucracy. If there is no evidence that its broke why fix it?

No they weren't.

Maiden1

Quote from: Minder on February 14, 2010, 05:12:38 PM
Authorites would have you believe it is a "tax friendly" setup.

Like Minder says it's more likely a tax friendly system, if you are to start accounting for every penny in and out then you might have to start auditing the managers 'petrol money' and all the other expenses incurred by county officials etc. then you would really be opening up a can of worms.  I've been to Down games in the past in Clones where on the radio home the commentator has said there was 12127 (I'm not that sad to remember the exact number) at the ground.  I didn't do a count but I would be fairly confident the 12127 was a bit on the conservative side.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

T Fearon

AFS, I was given a ticket on Sunday as was everyone else who entered at the stiles as far as I could see.

Billys Boots

QuoteI believe that the vast majority of people on the gates taking cash are trustworthy gaels, appointed to that position due to their proven trustworthiness and reliability.

If they're appointed to that position as you say, then should they not be aware that the purchaser, in any above-board financial transaction is entitled to a receipt of payment?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

T Fearon

I imagine they act in accordance with orders from the GAA. Therefore if they're told not to issue receipts than they don't do so, or maybe a better way of putting this, if they're not told to issue receipts then they don't do so.

What next? Should the programme sellers issue a receipt for each sale?, the hamburger and other fast food stall operators? Buskers? St Michael's Band members when they come round with the tins at Clones?

western exile

Quote from: T Fearon on February 16, 2010, 05:02:01 PM
Well have you any proof/evidence? I believe that the vast majority of people on the gates taking cash are trustworthy gaels, appointed to that position due to their proven trustworthiness and reliability. Thats not to say that I believe there has never been a pound or two that has gone missing, but until I see concrete evidence of widespread or even significant fraud, I will not yield to the popular perception that they are all on the make.

In any event, how can we trust those who control the really big money at GAA Headquarters, provincial council, County or Club level, not to be misappropriating funds, awarding contracts to their cronies for backhanders etc

Who next do you want the spotlight to be fixed on? Church collectors, Salvation Army, St Vincent De Paul Society?
That is so naive, Tony!   It is like saying "Priests are so holy none of them would ever abuse a child"

T Fearon

"Thats not to say that I believe there has never been a pound or two that has gone missing, but until I see concrete evidence of widespread or even significant fraud, I will not yield to the popular perception that they are all on the make"

Read the above extract of my oroginal comments Western Exile. What I need to see is widesoread evidence of fraud.

mountainboii

Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2010, 12:17:37 PM
AFS, I was given a ticket on Sunday as was everyone else who entered at the stiles as far as I could see.

Well I didn't get one.

Some of the experiences I've had at stiles would lead me to believe that a lot of the time the man on the gate can do what he wants. I've had prices made up on the spot several times, and even been let in for free once because they had no change.

mackers

Quote from: AFS on February 17, 2010, 12:56:45 PM

Well I didn't get one.

Some of the experiences I've had at stiles would lead me to believe that a lot of the time the man on the gate can do what he wants. I've had prices made up on the spot several times, and even been let in for free once because they had no change.
Either did I or anybody entering at the time that I was.

I've no doubt that prices are made up on the spot, I remember going into Hyde Park some years back to a match and queueing for a student ticket, a local Rossie of about 50 years of age was laughing and joking about being a student but paid the student rate. I produced my UUJ student card and the fcuker who had let the Rossie in refused to accept the student card and demanded the full entrance money!! >:( >:(
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: T Fearon on February 17, 2010, 12:34:42 PM
I imagine they act in accordance with orders from the GAA. Therefore if they're told not to issue receipts than they don't do so, or maybe a better way of putting this, if they're not told to issue receipts then they don't do so.

What next? Should the programme sellers issue a receipt for each sale?, the hamburger and other fast food stall operators? Buskers? St Michael's Band members when they come round with the tins at Clones?

You've missed the point. When you hand over money for a programme you get a programme in hand. When you hand over cash you get a burger in hand.

Like a bus, when you pay money you receive a ticket in lieu of the journey that the bus provide. Similar for the cinema. Why shouldn't a GAA game be the same? Especially they're charging £13. It's a contract.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Farrandeelin

Quote from: AFS on February 17, 2010, 12:56:45 PM

Well I didn't get one.

I've been let in for free several times because I know the fella on the gate. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.