Brian Kerr brings Faroes to Belfast

Started by Jim_Murphy_74, February 08, 2010, 10:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: saffron sam2 on February 09, 2010, 08:27:21 AM
As for MD_HNISC, not overly surprised. Disappointing though that that is his priority. Will be intersting to see how long it is before we get a mention on the same thread.

On normal form the only mention will be one of indignation that the critics of the comment are motivated purely by bigotry and hatred of OWC, a dig at some aspect of the GAA, a self-righteous bit of sarcasm such as "and we're the bigots" and a suitable roll-eyes emoticon.

Interestingly on the same thread the claim is made that as a supporter you have the "right" to abuse opposition players or managers if the motivation is correct.  I wonder is that a soccer thing or an OWC thing? 

Regardless, "vile and disgusting abuse" from any quarter, towards any target is surely inconsistent with "Football for all".  Imagine explain to a child that said abuse is okay because it's directed at someone who selected a couple of 17year old Northern Ireland lads for his squads ten years ago.

/Jim.

[EDIT] For Rossie mad (You sewer-dweller):

From Roger@OWC:

QuoteBrian Kerr is a former manager of a rival team who targeted our players under his watch. If people give him a bad reception then you can't fault them and nor could any media in any country. Fearon and Co on his gaaboard will make a lot of this no doubt but no one should listen to those on that sewer of a board. I'm not sure anyone actually does listen to those sewer dwellers. Personally I can't say I'm fussed on Kerr for his targeting of us, but he is a non-entity managing a minnow who we simply need to beat and that should be the focus.

5 of the Queen's pounds will let you register to make the point about the ever-so subtle difference between "bad reception" and "most vile and disgusting abuse ever".

rossie mad

Hardy

Quote from: rossie mad on February 09, 2010, 10:07:57 AM
Tried to get on this site this morning to read the thread but you have to registrer first and it seems impossible if you put in a gaa related user name.

I wouldn't, if I were you. I've never seen the site, as I'd have as much interest in it as I have in professional crochet, but I remember reading here that the administrators have form in releasing the personal details and addresses of members who registered in supposed confidence. That's scary, especially given some of the types who might fetch up on that site - the types that the organisers are laudably working to eradicate from NI soccer support.

To be fair, though, Jim it wouldn't be hard for anyone from OWC to go back from here armed with lunatic quotes from some of our headbangers and we'd be a bit peeved if they were taken as representative of the majority attitude here.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: rossie mad on February 09, 2010, 10:39:50 AM

Who called me a sewer dweller?

Apparently we all are over here.  Read Roger's post.

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2010, 10:44:21 AM
To be fair, though, Jim it wouldn't be hard for anyone from OWC to go back from here armed with lunatic quotes from some of our headbangers and we'd be a bit peeved if they were taken as representative of the majority attitude here.

Point taken Hardy.  I was being a tad mischievous to be honest.  That said on the same thread no-one has expressed misgivings about the idea of abusing someone, merely how it might be misrepresented by interested parties.

Also I did acknowledge that this idea of abuse could be more of soccer issue than an OWC issue.

/Jim.

Hardy

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 09, 2010, 10:48:38 AM

Point taken Hardy.  I was being a tad mischievous to be honest.  That said on the same thread no-one has expressed misgivings about the idea of abusing someone, merely how it might be misrepresented by interested parties

Also I did acknowledge that this idea of abuse could be more of soccer issue than an OWC issue.

/Jim.

I don't know anything about OWC (except what I read here), but I do know that organised abuse of opponents in soccer is endemic. As far as I can gather, for a lot of them, it seems to be the main reason they go to matches.

rossie mad

Ok point taken just cant get my head around that post.
I mean in my eyes thats football hoolinganism and i thought those dark days were left behind in the eighties.

If this poster says this and its not condemned would it be seen that most people going to that game would be baying for kerrs blood.

Im sure kerr didnt poach any players as im sure they made the choice themselves.
Its just an excuse in my eyes for spreading hatred.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on February 09, 2010, 10:44:38 AM
Quote from: rossie mad on February 09, 2010, 10:39:50 AM

Who called me a sewer dweller?

Apparently we all are over here.  Read Roger's post.

/Jim.

That's our Roger I take it. Disappointing, but not surprising attitude from him. Still, 'tis one for others to take up with him when he returns here.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

T Fearon

Soccer players and indeed managers are abused the World over. Robbie Keane will get pelters when he plays at Ibrox and to be fair, Rangers high profile signings in the past got pelters at Parkhead.

The main bone of contention though is that the North of Ireland supporters (supported by their mono cultural allies in the media up here, eg the Belfast Telegraph editorial only yesterday referred to them as being "Champion" ::) have made great play out of the fact that they are non sectarian, have eradicated a problem that has existed since time immemorial in Northern Irish soccer and the laughable suggestion that anyone can attend Windsor Park now and feel comfortable. All plainly rubbish as I've gone to great lengths to explain, and no doubt there will be a sectarian element to the abuse that Kerr will face (though having made reasonable progress to date with the Faroes, I wouldn't rule him out of a move to a higher proflle job in club management, thus sparing him the dubious pleasure of a visit to Windsor Park). of course the OWC crowd will claim the abuse was motivated by "player poaching" (they fail to see that players make their own choices and very often these are influenced by the sectarianism endemic in North of Ireland soccer) and not sectarianism , but the referall to this site as a "sewer" is a reasonable indication of the mindset.

Though abuse of players is not confined to soccer. Joe Kernan a couple of years ago referred to a stream of constant abuse he and the Armagh team were subjected to on a league visit to Derry, and the year before lastr, at the Ulster Championship tie in Clones between Down and Armagh, a so called Down fan had a placard mocking Oisin Mc Conville's well publicised addiction.

Main Street

No doubt the Faroes will be targetting the Norn Iron scalp. I'd say Kerr will look for an August or September home fixture.
Some of the sewer dwellers will be having an eye on that one.

Anyone remember hearing the news of the Faroes' first competitive game, held in Sweden, when they beat Austria with a well taken goal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoTss_6KsZk&feature=related

T Fearon

I'll be watching that one, in front of a big fire , with coal from the bath tub, assuming the pigs in my living room don't block the tv. ::)

lynchbhoy

Quote from: T Fearon on February 09, 2010, 02:00:55 PM
I'll be watching that one, in front of a big fire , with coal from the bath tub, assuming the pigs in my living room don't block the tv. ::)
why do you keep coal in your bath tub ?
;)

lynchbhoy

would agree with Jim that it is bad form that such a comment is allowed remain and from what Jim says is not attacked with the scorn it deserves by others - because the others are as complicit!

I disagree with Tony regarding such mindsets and hooliganism being prevalent in GAA circles - while we will have a few headcases/knackers they will never be on the same scale as the problems soccer has. Irish soccer has well known problems with shamrock rovers fans, there are problems off the field almost as much as on it in the north of Ireland league and I was very close to stepping into stop a few scumbags from beating up a rangers fan a few years ago myself as he was set upon purely because he was a rangers fan walking to the game in the midst of Celtic fans. ...that wasnt right and only because I feared getting my ownhead kicked I didnt attempt to stop it but such deplorable behaviour is a disgrace (I have been namy places supporting Celtic and thisis the only such incident I have seen - so obv its a problem some have with rangers whichcauses them to lose it - which is still inexcusable and still a disgrace)
A soccer problem indeed !

Main Street

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 09, 2010, 02:27:37 PM
;)
Funny that you are curious about that but pay no heed to the pigs in the living room.
;D

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on February 09, 2010, 02:37:28 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 09, 2010, 02:27:37 PM
;)
Funny that you are curious about that but pay no heed to the pigs in the living room.
;D
thought that was the norm in Armagh small farming freeholds...
;) :D