Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: EC Unique on February 13, 2010, 05:02:20 PM
Please retract that statement >:(

OK EC, statement expunged, so maybe you're not quite the fascist pig that "mildly racist" would suggest  ;)

Lose the hangup with 100% Irish FFS (check out where we actually came from in the first instance). I wish that I had met and married a native Gaelic speaking mild tempered redhead of unspeakable beauty from the Wesht. It didn't happen, big deal.

It's a good thing that Padráig Pearse's maternal grandfather wasn't as "mildly racist" as you, since his father's Englishness might have robbed our Pantheon of one of the greatest of Irishmen ever. Do you know of greater exponents of all that is Gaelic and great than the O'Halpíns? As Micheál O Muircheartaigh might say "with a father from Fermanagh and a mother from Fiji, and neither a hurling stronghold".

Live a little, and appreciate the disparate reality of what we actually are, diversity enriches, it always has.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

EC Unique

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 13, 2010, 10:01:00 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 13, 2010, 05:02:20 PM
Please retract that statement >:(

OK EC, statement expunged, so maybe you're not quite the fascist pig that "mildly racist" would suggest  ;)

Maybe I am wrong to think this way but I do. Maybe in years to come I may have to face up to a challange and only then I will know how I really feel.

Anyway I am done on this thread as it is a bit too serious.

Back to the premiership threads for a bit of simple banter. :D

longrunsthefox

Don't be cheering for any of those black players  ;)

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Was Padraig Pearse not supposed to like the menfolk? Oh aye, but he was maybe gay so let's not talk about the father of the Free State in such negative tones. ::)
"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

gallsman

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on February 14, 2010, 10:25:30 AM
Was Padraig Pearse not supposed to like the menfolk? Oh aye, but he was maybe gay so let's not talk about the father of the Free State in such negative tones. ::)

Sssshh! Don't dare whisper anything like that.

Some of his poetry would certainly suggest so.

mylestheslasher

Maybe he was and I couldn't care less, but I recall it was Ruth Dudley Edwards who put that "story" out there and only an imbecile would take anything she says seriously.

Puckoon

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11011034

Serious disgrace.

HMRC staff sacked over race abuseSeven Revenue and Customs staff have been sacked for deliberately under-paying benefits to ethnic minorities.

It follows an internal investigation into nine men based at the HM Revenue and Customs call centre in Belfast.

Two resigned after it was launched and seven were dismissed on Tuesday.

They are believed to have tampered with computer records to ensure ethnic minorities living across the UK did not receive the benefits they were entitled to. All have now been fully reimbursed.

The allegations of racially-motivated gross misconduct were investigated last January when a complaint was lodged by somebody who said that their records had been changed.

'Decisive action'

A detailed audit was carried out and the inquiry then widened it to take in another 16 child benefit cases.

It is understood the nine men were suspended once the investigation started, but two quit immediately.

Dave Hartnett, permanent secretary for tax at HMRC, said the department operates a zero-tolerance policy on racial discrimination.

"The vast majority of our people are entirely professional and one of the ways we support that professionalism is by taking decisive action against the tiny minority who let us all down by falling far short of those standards," he said.

The HMRC contact centre is based at Dorchester House, close to the city centre in Belfast's Great Victoria Street.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Irish Free State you racist  >:(  ;)  >:(
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

bennydorano

Quote from: Puckoon on August 18, 2010, 03:39:17 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-11011034

Serious disgrace.

HMRC staff sacked over race abuseSeven Revenue and Customs staff have been sacked for deliberately under-paying benefits to ethnic minorities.

It follows an internal investigation into nine men based at the HM Revenue and Customs call centre in Belfast.

Two resigned after it was launched and seven were dismissed on Tuesday.

They are believed to have tampered with computer records to ensure ethnic minorities living across the UK did not receive the benefits they were entitled to. All have now been fully reimbursed.

The allegations of racially-motivated gross misconduct were investigated last January when a complaint was lodged by somebody who said that their records had been changed.

'Decisive action'

A detailed audit was carried out and the inquiry then widened it to take in another 16 child benefit cases.

It is understood the nine men were suspended once the investigation started, but two quit immediately.

Dave Hartnett, permanent secretary for tax at HMRC, said the department operates a zero-tolerance policy on racial discrimination.

"The vast majority of our people are entirely professional and one of the ways we support that professionalism is by taking decisive action against the tiny minority who let us all down by falling far short of those standards," he said.

The HMRC contact centre is based at Dorchester House, close to the city centre in Belfast's Great Victoria Street.
Saw that on the news and was dumbfounded.  I would love to know the background of these people (petty and all as it seems).  9 people suggests an organised campaign and undoubtedly it is happening elsewhere in the public sector  and elsewhere in the Uk and probably ROI. I'm suprised it hasn't received more publicity as it could be a huge can of worms.

Minder

I had heard about this a few months ago from someone that works there and was given a different story, that it was merely dodgy racist emails and given the public sector cuts that are on the way they will be looking for any excuse to sack staff. Looks like that was the story they put out and turns out it was a lot more serous. If not I'm sure the people sacked would have some sort of redress if the media reports are inaccurate?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

I see from the BBC, that the former TUV member Ann Cooper, supports the actions of the 9 men sacked by the HMRC.

On her Twitter account, which has now being deleted, she said the follow: "Well done lads. Sorry you got caught. You deserve a medal. We need more like you."

I see Ann Cooper is standing for the BNP in the Assembly elections. I suppose there isn't a big leap between the two parties.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12992184
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

A complaint has been made to gardaí over comments by Fine Gael Mayor of Naas Darren Scully, who said he would refuse to represent constituents of African origin.

Speaking to Clem Ryan on KFM's 'Kildare Today', Cllr Scully said he made his decision based on what he described as the ''aggressive attitude'' he has experienced when representations were made to him by ''black Africans''.

He said he would in future pass any representations from Africans on to other public representatives.

However, he stressed that this was his own view and not that of Naas Town Council.

A special meeting of Naas Town Council has been called this evening to discuss the matter.

Mayor Scully is expected to attend the meeting.

Mr Scully said that over his seven years as a councillor his experiences of dealing with "black Africans" were not good.

He said most of the issues had to do with housing and he had been met "with aggressiveness and bad manners".

Mr Scully said he has always made it clear that he would speak his mind and that following his comments last night he received "extremely nasty and abusive emails and text messages".

However, he insisted that he made his decision based on the experiences that he has had "with every single case over seven years".

This afternoon, Labour's Aodhán Ó Riordáin made a complaint under the Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act in relation to the comments.

A statement from Fine Gael said the views expressed by Cllr Scully do not reflect the views of Fine Gael and they are not party policy.

The statement added that the party will be looking into the matter of Cllr Scully's comments.

Fine Gael Minister of State Dinny McGinley has said that the comments were in no way reflective of Fine Gael's policy on immigrants.

Mr McGinley refused to be drawn on whether Mr Scully should resign or leave the party.

brokencrossbar1

stew

Quote from: ONeill on February 13, 2010, 02:34:43 PM
There are people from Derry, Armagh and Tyrone who genuinely hate each other because of where they come from. What do ye call that?

Buck eejits.

If they hate each other over football they are eejits ffs.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Applesisapples

Some of my best friends are from Tyrone!!