Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EC Unique

Quote from: Olly on February 11, 2010, 01:23:27 PM
No I don't buy into the idea that all homophobes are gay in the same way that I don't believe that all racists are black underneath. I think many people don't like things that are different and maybe thats just a natural instinct that people who are not too even minded cannot deal with. When you have a new heart or lung, your body might not like it and it needs medication to accept it. Maybe homophobes need medication be it in visible form or through thearpy. Thatd turn the tables.

Now I really think you are a WUM :D :D

The Iceman

So President Obama recently appeared on stage at a Black Awareness Rally singing with a stage full of other Black People.

Obama is half white.

Would it be OK if he appeared a White Rally or even did anything to embrace his White heritage?

I am not a racist but just throwing this question out there to see what peoples thoughts are.

I am a conservative and have no reservations in saying so.  I think the world is becoming far too liberal and is on a morally slippery slope.  The more PC we become the more tolerant we become as a society of things that would normally be frowned upon.  Soon it will be fine for people to do absolutely whatever they want for fear of infringing on their rights to do so.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Declan

QuoteI am not a racist but
:o

Don't know of any "white" rallies unless their KKK/Aryan lunatics and I can hardly see him at one of those.

QuoteI think the world is becoming far too liberal and is on a morally slippery slope

Didn't think that there was a direct linkage between those two events depends on what you term moral I suppose

Zapatista

Quote from: The Iceman on February 11, 2010, 02:19:43 PM
I am a conservative and have no reservations in saying so.  I think the world is becoming far too liberal and is on a morally slippery slope.  The more PC we become the more tolerant we become as a society of things that would normally be frowned upon.  Soon it will be fine for people to do absolutely whatever they want for fear of infringing on their rights to do so.

Would you like to see this liberalism conserved?

ziggysego

Am I right in thinking you think homosexuality is immoral?
Testing Accessibility

The Iceman

Quote from: ziggysego on February 11, 2010, 02:44:12 PM

Am I right in thinking you think homosexuality is immoral?

Thats a whole other thread

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

longrunsthefox

So President Obama recently appeared on stage at a Black Awareness Rally singing with a stage full of other Black People.

Obama is half white.

Would it be OK if he appeared a White Rally or even did anything to embrace his White heritage?

I am not a racist but
just throwing this question out there to see what peoples thoughts are.

Always a give-away,  ...'I'm not a racist but'...  ::)

ludermor

If you make a joke ( or laugh at a joke) about gays/blacks etc does that make you racist/homophobic? I have laughed at plenty of paddy irishman jokes does that make me racist towards irish people?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2010, 04:50:04 PM
I'd be disappointed if my son turned out to be black.

And I'd be disappointed if a black turned out to be my son (because I'd be able to recollect feck all about the conceiving of him!).

This is depressing though:

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 08:27:44 PM
You will find there are more Irish people that would share my views than disagree.
Would they all be 'sad little people, happy in their own stupidity'?

So EC, you have to invoke the lemmings-mentality syndrome to justify your racism and discrimination? Does the Third Reich, the Germans and Hitler ring any alarm bells?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

Quote from: Hardy on February 11, 2010, 11:26:23 AM
Quote from: Olly on February 11, 2010, 11:12:44 AM
Some of the people on here are so horrible inside that im almost homohomophobic - im phobic to homophobics. But I do believe in the power of reflection and many will see the good people and reflect and change.

I'd say you meant homophobe-phobic.

Homohomophobic doesn't work. Two homos don't make a ... whatever.

That was damn funny hardy. No doubt about that.

EC Unique

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on February 11, 2010, 05:43:26 PM
Quote from: Hardy on February 09, 2010, 04:50:04 PM
I'd be disappointed if my son turned out to be black.

And I'd be disappointed if a black turned out to be my son (because I'd be able to recollect feck all about the conceiving of him!).

This is depressing though:

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 08:27:44 PM
You will find there are more Irish people that would share my views than disagree.
Would they all be 'sad little people, happy in their own stupidity'?

So EC, you have to invoke the lemmings-mentality syndrome to justify your racism and discrimination? Does the Third Reich, the Germans and Hitler ring any alarm bells?

So if a group of people share an opinion they are 'lemmings' ::)

Try again young man.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: EC Unique on February 11, 2010, 05:58:00 PM
So if a group of people share an opinion they are 'lemmings' ::).

Nope, they're a lot worse than that. They're racists and bigots  :P

The greatest irony of all is, of course, that we are all descended from black Africans  -- including you milky boy  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Puckoon

Adam and Eve were black africans?

My bible shows Eve as being a stunner. And she was white.

ardmhachaabu

I have refrained so far in the debate about racism but here's my tuppence.  I am married to a woman from the Caribbean, she is mixed as most people are in the Caribbean.  Despite the way I probably come across in debates on here, I take people the way I find them.  People can be assholes no matter where they are from or what colour their skin is

Those of you who seem proud of being backward about this really should take a step into the modern world.  There is no such thing as a pure Irishman or Englishman nor any other nationality and the more time goes on the more mixed we all get in truth 
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something