Homophobia and racism in Ireland

Started by Olly, February 08, 2010, 10:00:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Master Yoda on February 09, 2010, 01:25:14 PM
Would be very disappointed if my son grew up to be a queer.
Would be very disappointed if my daughter grew up to be a lesbian.
Would be very disappointed if my daughter married a black guy.
Wouldn't bother me that much if my son married a black girl, as long as she wasn't too black.

This has to be the most tasteless comment so far on the subject. What if she was  Whitney Heuston? Remember Ali G asking Orange men, who wouldn't marry a Catholic... wat if she was one of the Corrs?!! He'd have fun with you Master Bigot. 

EC Unique

Quote from: leenie on February 09, 2010, 04:32:33 PM

what right do you have to be disappointed in their choices of partner through race or sexuality....?

It is a feeling/emotion. How can rights be attached to it? If it is how a person feels the fact that somebody like you says they have no 'right' to feel like that will not change their feelings.  ::)

You were doing well until you came out with that rubbish :-\

AZOffaly

Quote from: Puckoon on February 09, 2010, 05:13:05 PM
Quote from: Master Yoda on February 09, 2010, 02:56:33 PM
If my son was gay I'd be raging with the wife. There's no queers in my family.

This quote pretty much sums up the patheticness of some attitudes that prevail in Ireland, in the GAA community, and in the world today.

If these statements are even being made to try and be funny - its maybe even more pathetic.

Racism, sectarianism, homophobism, scumbagism is alive, well and thriving with you lot.

Puck, there's racism, homopobia and scumbagism in every country in the world. You live in the US. You must see casual racism every day. I know I did when I was there. Why is it news when an 'African American' coach/player/GM or whatever does anything in the NFL/NHL/MLB. It's only in Basketball (the 'street' game) where you never hear about the first African American to coach or whatever.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 05:19:00 PM

what right do you have to be disappointed in their choices of partner through race or sexuality....?

It is a feeling/emotion. How can rights be attached to it? If it is how a person feels the fact that somebody like you says they have no 'right' to feel like that will not change their feelings.  ::)

Leenie is rite. Feelings come from thoughts. We have control over our feelings... 'change a thought, change a feeling.'  Is like saying I can't help hating gays and blacks... bollox

Puckoon

The racial divide exists, that is for sure. There is no getting away from it, as it inherently is there that there is a difference in our minds, however slight, between us and people who are different than us.

I dont mind the racial divide being mentioned in a positive light - i.e. when an african american coach wins something for the first time - as I think its a genuine attempt to move in the right direction towards marginalising the differences to a point where maybe they dont exist.

There are no doubt high levels of all those things you mentioned here in the US - however the thread title is about Ireland. I'm an irishman, and I personally would be more dissapointed with the opinions of fellow irishmen, than americans. Therefore, I think my opinion on some of the posts and contributors in this thread is valid and still stands.

Paul Mc Graths Da

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 04:18:07 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 12:50:58 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 11:14:07 AM
If my daughter came home with a coloured man I would be disappointed. If my son came home with another man I would be disappointed.

Does this mean I am racist and homophobic?

Absolutely

Fair enough. I am then. Thats how I fell and am happy enough with that.

Tut Tut....Racist homophobic AND a man utd 'fan'.  The shame must be eatin' you from the inside out

EC Unique

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 05:27:39 PM

Leenie is rite. Feelings come from thoughts. We have control over our feelings... 'change a thought, change a feeling.'  Is like saying I can't help hating gays and blacks... bollox

I dissagree. People feel love towards their children naturally and can not control it.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: EC Unique on February 09, 2010, 05:34:53 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 05:27:39 PM

I dissagree. People feel love towards their children naturally and can not control it.

Can't argue about that... is innate bond... but attitude to blacks and gays comes from thought process which we can change.

EC Unique

I don't think it is as black and white as that Fox. ;)

longrunsthefox

Well is no different to English man who would be disapointed if his daughter came home with an Irish man. I'd be disapointed with him  ;)

Tyrones own

Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 08, 2010, 11:14:08 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

WTF...Please explain....  :o

It's a long story but I was in the Bronx for a few years in the early 90s and the attiude of the Irish and Irish American wannabes towards blacks and other minority gropus was appaling. Where do I start? As a black man told me over there, 'The first word the Irish learn getting off the plane is nigger.' A Jewish man told me the Irish are equal opportunists, they discriiminate against everyone. I was friendly with a few Peurto Ricans and went into an Irish cafe one night and next day the Kerry waitress told me not to bring them in again. When I told this to other Irsih people, most agreed with her. They banned Gays from their St Patrick's Day parade.
I could give dozens of examples. I found it quite an eye opener. Striking up a friendship with a black person was certainly frowned on by the Irish about Fordham Road, Decater Avenue and that area. Irony was they were throwing money into buckets for Irish freedom

Doubt that....was well and truly embedded long before getting on the plane :-\
Where does the ?"True right wingers" come into that explanation?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

pintsofguinness

My God there'll be no parent of the year awards handed to some of you on this thread and certainly have a very high opinion of yourselves.

EC, you never answered my question, why exactly would you be dissapointed. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

stew

If I found out one of my daughters was a lesbian I would be very upset, I would love her no less obviously but I would have serious issues with it, that said it is her life to live as she chooses and it wouldnt change my opinion on her in any way. Oh aye, she would never spend a night in the same room with her partner under my roof, that would never happen.

If one of my daughters were to marry a black man I couldnt care less, the only thing I would care about is that he loved her and would always treat her right and that he had a job. Colour to me matters not one iota, I dont give a shite what colour somebody is.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Tyrones own on February 09, 2010, 05:57:53 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 09, 2010, 10:12:25 AM
Quote from: Tyrones own on February 08, 2010, 11:14:08 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on February 08, 2010, 11:03:45 PM
The worst racists I've encountered are the Irish and Irish Americans in New York... true right wingers. Horrible shower.

WTF...Please explain....  :o

It's a long story but I was in the Bronx for a few years in the early 90s and the attiude of the Irish and Irish American wannabes towards blacks and other minority gropus was appaling. Where do I start? As a black man told me over there, 'The first word the Irish learn getting off the plane is nigger.' A Jewish man told me the Irish are equal opportunists, they discriiminate against everyone. I was friendly with a few Peurto Ricans and went into an Irish cafe one night and next day the Kerry waitress told me not to bring them in again. When I told this to other Irsih people, most agreed with her. They banned Gays from their St Patrick's Day parade.
I could give dozens of examples. I found it quite an eye opener. Striking up a friendship with a black person was certainly frowned on by the Irish about Fordham Road, Decater Avenue and that area. Irony was they were throwing money into buckets for Irish freedom

Doubt that....was well and truly embedded long before getting on the plane :-\
Where does the ?"True right wingers" come into that explanation?

Irish-Americans I encountered were very anti-black, anti-gay, fierce supporters of the death penalty, very fundamental in their religion... I think that is right wing...