Superbowl

Started by JimStynes, February 07, 2010, 06:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Whos staying up to watch it? I wouldnt know a pile about the 2 teams though i do like watching american football. Is it worth staying up for and being clean wrecked in work tomorrow?

Archie Mitchell

Sure is. Will be watching it in HD as well.

Great Leap Forward

I haven't missed one since 88 so I will be staying up. Tomorrow booked off work and all. It should be a high scoring game so it should keep the novice viewer interested.

anportmorforjfc

cant wait, i usually go for the underdog in the SB. So go saints!!! Hoping it will be a very close game like the last two were. Guessing it will be over around 3.30am? cant really remember last year. Have to get up at 8 >:(, but have tuesday off so its not all bad :)

JimStynes

Can someone give me a run down of the 2 teams, what players to look out for and any other craic worth knowing for the game. We used to stay up and watch it with a feed and a carry out back in the uni days. wont be the same craic stayin up and watching it by myself. where u watchin it archie?

anportmorforjfc

Quote from: JimStynes on February 07, 2010, 07:01:16 PM
Can someone give me a run down of the 2 teams, what players to look out for and any other craic worth knowing for the game. We used to stay up and watch it with a feed and a carry out back in the uni days. wont be the same craic stayin up and watching it by myself. where u watchin it archie?

www.nfl.com u will find out all about the teams jim

i think that the saints defence will be unable to stop the colts passing game, and the colts defence will be unable to stop the saints running game. Reggie Bush needs to have a big game. cant see manning being stopped unless they get to him early.

p.s how many int has manning thrown this season?

Minder

Manning has thrown 16 int in the regular season and 1 in the playoffs.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossie11

Quotep.s how many int has manning thrown this season?
Manning has 38 TDs and 17 interceptions (thats including post season games)
Brees has 40 TDs and 11ints

It should be a great game for the neutral as there will be scores but I think both defences will make a few big plays.
The Saints are all or nothing on defence. Its either an interception or a 60yard TD conceded..

Reggie is defo one to watch out for. Done damn all in regular season but has 3 TDs in the 2 post season games and looks like he saves the big performances for the prime time events.
His chick is Kim Kardashian so worth seeing him get in the end zone just to get some shots of her..   ;D

ballinaman

Can't wait for it! Who's playing half time??

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on February 07, 2010, 07:13:23 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 07, 2010, 07:01:16 PM

www.nfl.com u will find out all about the teams jim

i think that the saints defence will be unable to stop the colts passing game, and the colts defence will be unable to stop the saints running game. Reggie Bush needs to have a big game. cant see manning being stopped unless they get to him early.

p.s how many int has manning thrown this season?

There's a few interesting notes. Far be it from me to say the Colts are the 'bad guys' but the Saints are the feel good story. Drew Brees went there just after the hurricane, despite offers from Miami and elsewhere. He went there, in part, because he thought he could help the area, and he has ploughed money and time into New Orleans. They call him 'Breesus'. Reggie Bush is another good guy in those terms.

Payton Manning's dad, Archie, was the quarterback for the Saints for years, and PAyton grew up there. Archie was QB, and a good one, but those were the years when the Saints were shocking, and were nicknamed the 'Aints'. Famous shots of fans wearing brown paper bags over their heads. Apparently the young Mannings asked their mother was it okay if they booed the team like everyone else :D

Also, Archie had 3 boys. 2 of them have won Superbowls as QBs, Payton and Eli. The third is one of Drew Brees' best friends, and works in New Orleans. Payton was a regular visitor to Saints' coach Sean Payton's house, and threw passes to his kids in the back yard.

The Colts are a very well run franchise since MAnning came along, but they were bad before that.

Colts to watch out for would be Manning, obviously, WRs Garcon, Colley and Wayne, TE Clark and DEs Freeney (who is hurt) and Mathis. LB Clint Session will be important too, as their best run stopper is actually a safety, Bob Sanders, and he's injured.

For the Saints, it's Brees and his targets, WR Henderson, Colston and Meachem, and TE Shockey, but watch for backup TE David Thomas as a sleeper. They have a three headed running attack, with REggie Bush (who is better running outside the tackles, or as an auxilliary receiver and punt returner), Mike Bell and Pierre Thomas. Thomas might get any goal line carries.

It's set up to be a good game, both teams have flaws, but I think New Orleans will have to do two things to win the game. Run the ball well, which will open up the passing game is the first, and that will also eat clock. Secondly, get to MAnning. He can be rattled, like anybody else, but he's brilliant at learning on the fly, so you have to get to him, and then change the way you go after him to try again. If you have success going after him with one thing, like a zone blitz, or safeties faking blitz and dropping off as you send corners etc, he will pick it up and learn from it, and eat you in the 3rd and 4th. So if you come, come hard, and then come a different way the next time.

I still think the Colts will win, but as we get closer, I'm hoping the Saints can pull it off.

gawa316

Can't wait for this.

Had my 30th last night, lay in bed all day, so am raring to go now!

Hopefully get a stream up working, as well as watching on BBC so I can catch the 'commercials'.

Go Saints!!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Minder on February 07, 2010, 07:42:54 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 07, 2010, 07:38:00 PM

Who knows.

Won't be a patch on last year whoever it is!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 07, 2010, 07:45:47 PM
Quote from: Minder on February 07, 2010, 07:42:54 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 07, 2010, 07:38:00 PM

Who knows.

Yer both right.
I remember hearing before who it was and thinking...oh bollox. Forgotten who now though. Don't like the extended half time, just get back to the game ffs!