Tyrone v Mayo - Healy park, valentines day

Started by tyroneman, February 07, 2010, 02:00:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I reckon the Tyrone team looks stronger on paper than it is in reality, some of those lads are playing nowhere near their ability at the moment. Anyway if this new found Mayo optimism is to have foundation in reality they should be able to go to Tyrone and run them close at least.

southsidejohnny

Zulu, Mayo have an excellent record against Tyrone, even at their worst they do well v tyrone.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: southsidejohnny on February 11, 2010, 10:09:46 PM
Zulu, Mayo have an excellent record against Tyrone, even at their worst they do well v tyrone.

Like when they did their best with us in the League last year in Castlebar and only drew?  ;)

You're not far wrong though, always a tricky assignment, especially in Omagh.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyroneboi

Quote from: Zulu on February 11, 2010, 09:39:11 PM
I reckon the Tyrone team looks stronger on paper than it is in reality, some of those lads are playing nowhere near their ability at the moment. Anyway if this new found Mayo optimism is to have foundation in reality they should be able to go to Tyrone and run them close at least.

Would have to agree with the Tyrone team looking stronger on paper than in reality at the moment. Hard to see were the scores are gonna come from outside of the full forward line. Still expecting the first 2 points of the campaign come Sunday evening but not exactly brimming with confidence going into the game.

sandwiches_in_the_boot

V strong defence that's for sure, good to see. Is this the first time red Sean has started CB for Tyrone? Think Carlin's well suited to CB as well, he's a ferocious man marker IMO, better than he is coming fwd from the half back line.
Think Cassidy's great at high fielding, and he'll run all month for you, but he ran into too many cul de sacs sat night. Coney at CF will be an interesting experiment, though i'd be surprised if he actually plays right up front. I can see him drop out into the HF line. very glad to see big Joe in HF line too, can't mind seeing him have a bad game. BMcG and Enda will hopefully up their game as well. Brian wasn't there at all on sat, a frustrating night for him, he just didn't seem to make the space for himself to accept ball the way Petey Harte can. If Brian has his football playmaking brain switched to at least second gear then the FF line will be able to create more scoring opportunities.

I appreciate Tyrone's accuracy was good in Celtic Park, but hope there's more follow through power wise to see those chances sail over the bar, rather than drop under.

Penrose isn't a natural FF IMO either, but we don't have the choice really. Think he's better winning cross field balls and turning on his left side. McCullugh will no doubt come on if there's any sign of a repeat of sat night.

Think the points being made about challenge games is spot on. The Derry game had that feel about it from a Tyrone perspective
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Zulu

Yeah I agree, for some reason Mayo seem to cause Tyrone untold problems and I think they'll do well again this time. enda Varley is a cracking little footballer and some of their younger players sem to be playing well at the moment. If I had to put money on it i'd back Tyrone but I don't think that Tyrone forward line is much to write home about at the moment. don't get me wrong, they are talented but I don't think they are firing on all cylinders so I'd give Mayo a decent chance.

loughshore lad

Interesting selection for Sunday, certainly a very experienced one anyway.

Not surprised to see Packie back in goals.  Not sure on the relocation of Joe to wing forward again, he had done reasonably well in defence in the McKenna cup and seems more comfortable in defence.  Cassidy gets another chance to find his feet in the middle and has plenty of work to do in order to stake a claim for regular inclusion.

Foreverhopeful

alan freeman for trevor.... only change.... interesting

RedandGreenSniper

I'd say Barry Kelly will come in to for Seamie O'Shea.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Shadylimp

Oh my god, i've listened to this 'fact' long enough! Tyrone have won two out of the last 3 meetings between the two teams and drew the other. I dont think the lads feel mayo have the psychological edge over them, so not a problem for them.
'Oh honey I didn't get drunk. I just went into a strange fantasy world'

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Shadylimp on February 12, 2010, 08:20:15 AM
Oh my god, i've listened to this 'fact' long enough! Tyrone have won two out of the last 3 meetings between the two teams and drew the other. I dont think the lads feel mayo have the psychological edge over them, so not a problem for them.

You're damn right shadylimp. In fact I can see Tyrone dishing out the mother and father of all hidings on Sunday because they haven't lost any of the last 3 meetings.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Zapatista

Quote from: Foreverhopeful on February 11, 2010, 09:35:06 PM
very physical side, mayo will have to move it quick and not take the hits.

Gormley and Hughes could be physical but that's about it. Tis a strong line out in name anyway.

blewuporstuffed

dont think that will be the side that lines out for tyrone but
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

omagh_gael

I thought Petey Harte might have got a start this week. A strong side nonetheless, Mickey will really want 2 points here as a defeat means we're getting dangerously close to the trap door very early!

I wonder will Joe be picking up Mc Loughlin? He had a major impact v Galway and looks lke a man that'd need to be watched!