Donnellys Hollow

Kildare team according to KFM:

Shane McCormack

Aindriú MacLochlainn   Mick Foley   Emmet Bolton

Gary White   Brian Flanagan   Anthony Rainbow

Daryl Flynn   Dermot Earley

David Whyte   Pádraig O'Neill   Rob Kelly

James Kavanagh   Ronan Sweeney   Karl Ennis

Forward line looks ordinary enough without JD and Smith. Kavanagh's return is very welcome. Roli looked miles off the pace when he came on but I've always liked him as an orthodox full-forward. His height will be a threat especially with the new square ball rule.

Full-back issues remain. Good to see Chalky moved out where he'll be more comfortable but Foley is a natural half-back too and never looked convincing in at full-back last summer. McGrillen is on the bench and hopefully he'll get a go in the 3 shirt before the end of the NFL.

If Down are in good shape on Sunday they have a great chance of turning us over. I can't see that Kildare forward line racking up a big score and a lot of our backs have been prone to silly fouling recently.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

boojangles

Was actually thinking of backing yas DH.I seen Down a few times last year and while they may have improved I still don't think they have the backs to handle a half decent forward line. Sweeney at Full-Forward should cause them alot of problems with his size IMO.

Captain Scarlet

Presume Marty will be on the go for Down. Never seen him in the flesh.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Trevor Hill

The Down GAA senior panel for the 2010 National Football League
Round 1 vs Kildare on Sunday, 7th February 2010

1. Brendan McVeigh (An Riocht)  Breandán Mac an Bheatha (An Riocht)
2. Daniel McCartan (Burren)   Dónal Mac Artáin (Boireann)
3. Brendan McArdle (Annaclone)  Breandán Mac Árdghail (Eanach Chluáin)
4. Damien Rafferty (Newry Shamrocks) Damien Ó Raifeartaigh (Seamrogaí an Íuir)
5. Kevin McKernan (Burren)   Caoimhín Mac Thiarnáin (Boireann)
6. James Colgan (An Riocht)   Seamás Mac Colgan (An Riocht)
7. Conor Garvey (Mayobridge)  Conchúr Ó Gairbhith (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)
8. Ambrose Rodgers (Longstone)  Ambrós Mac Ruairí (Cloch Fhada)
9. Kalum King (Bryansford)   Colm Ó Cionga (Áth Bhriain)
10. Conor Maginn (Bryansford)  Conchúr Mag Fhinn (Áth Bhriain)
11. Martin Clarke (An Riocht)   Mairtín Ó Cléirigh (An Riocht)
12. Daniel Hughes (Saval)   Dónal Ó hAodha (Sabhaill)
13. Paul McComiskey (Dundrum)  Pól Mac Cumascaigh (Dún Droma)
14. John Clarke (An Riocht)   Seán Ó Cléirigh (An Riocht)
15. Brendan Coulter (Mayobridge)  Breandán Ó Coltáir (Droichead Mhaigh Éo)
16. Declan Alder (Carryduff)   Deaglán Alder (Ceathrú Aodha Dhuibh)
17. Stephen Kearney (Saval)   Stíofán Ó Cearnaigh (Sabhaill)
18. Kevin Duffin (Castlewellan)  Caoimhín Ó Duifinn (Caisleán Uidhlinn)
19. Aidan Brannigan (Kilcoo)   Aodhán Ó Branagáin (Cill Chua)
20. Sean Parr (Rostrevor)   Seán de Parr (Caisleán Ruairí)
21. Peter Fitzpatrick (Ballymartin)  Peadar Mac Giolla Phádraig (Baile Mhairtín)
22. Paul Greenan (Kilcoo)   Pól Ó Grianáin (Cill Chua)
23. Conor Laverty (Kilcoo)   Conchúr Mac Laibheartaigh (Cill Chua)
24. Mark Poland (Longstone)   Marcas Mac Póilín  (Cloch Fhada)

Dinny Breen

Aindriú MacLochlainn

He will give away at least 6 scoreable frees, an absolute liability.

Down by 3
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

He will give away at least 6 scoreable frees, an absolute liability.

Well that was an easy prediction, haven't seen Kildare play as bad since the 2005 Leinster semi-final. Full back line cleaned out, destroyed at midfield. I wouldn't mind I didn't even think Down played that well it's just that Kildare couldn't cope with their blanket defence in the 2nd half and we were too slow moving the ball out of defence and got caught in possesion too easily. The only glimmer is that maybe Karl Ennis might start delivering on his potential and he looked very lively in the 1st 20. Once the Down goal was scored Kildare scored a sum total of 2 points in 50 mins of football. Kildare were abject and dysmal, back to basics please Geezer.

Plus I don't know what training Kildare are doing but Down looked a lot fitter and sharper and their work-rate was excellent.
#newbridgeornowhere

D4S

Great performance today by Down.  I thought every man played a part in what was the best team performance since beating Tyrone in 2008...it may be only february but there is a lot to be optimistic about after today!  Was a very strong line up and id say that the team that lined out today we will see around 12 of them line out in may in ballybofey.  Speaking to a kildare man coming out and he thought that was about 10 of kildares first choice so it's a decent indication of how good down were today.

We were the much hungrier and sharper team by a mile, and when kildares discipline started to go in the last 15/20 when they knew they were beaten, Downs' discipline was excellent.  Brendan McVeigh was untroubled all day due to the defence being so strong, Damien Rafferty was fantastic today, kevin mckernan and james colgan were also great in defence.  Ambrose really came into it in the last 15 of the first half and had a really solid 2nd half, scoring 3 points in total.  Kalum King had a decent game overall, Benny worked really hard today and was great not to see Down relying on him so much, letting him play his own roving game was brilliant to watch.  Martin Clarke came into it more as the game progressed but had a fairly quiet one by his high standards...but im sure we'll see much more of him over the coming months!  Young conor maginn had a really steady game at half forward, and in the full forward line mccumisky and john clarke were excellent! Best 3 players for Down would have been damien rafferty, paul mccumisky and john clarke, any one of these 3 could have been man of the match! If had to pick id go for rafferty but id say the papers will give it to mccumisky for his great scoring return today, wasn't counting but id guess at 1-6? 
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Donnellys Hollow

I expected Kildare to lose today but that was desperate. Our forwards bar JD (suspended), Smith (off the panel at the moment) and Kavanagh simply aren't good enough. Too slow and laboured. The other options on the panel aren't exactly inspiring either.

Major problems in the full-back line. Its time to swallow pride and restore Kevin O'Neill to the team. We'll have our work cut out to pull ourselves off the floor for Tipp next week. Its only February and we've plenty to come back in (Conway, JD, Smith, Flaherty & Leper) but it'll be a big test of McGeeney and co.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on February 07, 2010, 09:19:20 PM
We'll have our work cut out to pull ourselves off the floor for Tipp next week. Its only February and we've plenty to come back in (Conway, JD, Smith, Flaherty & Leper) but it'll be a big test of McGeeney and co.

In fairness you should beat Tipp easily.

Dinny Breen

QuoteIn fairness you should beat Tipp easily.

Not on form, we play well when we're confident alas after today the confidence will be rock bottom, wouldn't be surprised if we lost.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Are ye in heavy training by any chance?

Dinny Breen

QuoteAre ye in heavy training by any chance?

They are in fairness and I think Geezer gambled that he'd get a result at home today and away next week to Tipp, it back-fired  but this league will be pretty tight I think and the nordies will take points of each other but Kildare must win next Sunday.
#newbridgeornowhere

Midman

Slightly off topic I know but maybe one of the more interweb savvy lads can post the image on BBc of Brendan McArdle being  ahem..tackled by Karl Ennis..  worthy of a caption contest me thinks ... Second photo on this link  http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8503242.stm   ;D

PS good win for Down (the feckers  ;) )

orangeman

Quote from: Midman on February 07, 2010, 10:25:35 PM
Slightly off topic I know but maybe one of the more interweb savvy lads can post the image on BBc of Brendan McArdle being  ahem..tackled by Karl Ennis..  worthy of a caption contest me thinks ... Second photo on this link  http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8503242.stm   ;D

PS good win for Down (the feckers  ;) )

Brilliant photo.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?