Lillis sentenced

Started by longrunsthefox, February 05, 2010, 12:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

I think in south prisoners serve two thirds of sentence ater than half in the north.
Any thoughts?... I expected him to get longer...

Lillis sentenced for wife's manslaughter

Eamonn Lillis has been sentenced to six years and 11 months in prison for the manslaughter of his wife Celine Cawley.

Judge Barry White at the Central Criminal Court said it is clear from the jury verdict that they had rejected his contention that he had no responsibility for his wife's death.

He said that manslaughter can range in gravity and in determining the appropriate sentence in this case he had counselled the opinion from both the prosecution and defence.
Advertisement

He said that as a judge he must consider those views and in doing so he said he has had regard to the evidence heard in front of the jury.

Justice White said that evidence discloses that having injured Celine Cawley he had at least had the decency to call the emergency services.

The judge said as far as he could see that was the only decent act Lillis committed on the day of his wife's death.

He said that before the emergency call was made, Lillis took time to hide clothes in the attic and make up a story about a burglary.

Mr Justice White said that account was repeated in the days following the death and he said he even went so far as to point the finger of suspicion at an innocent man.

He said even though gardaí afforded several chances to tell the truth the lie persisted, until he had been charged and taken into custody.

Judge White said he considered it appropriate he should consider the lies and the cover up that Lillis carried out and its effect on the Cawley family.

Lillis, 52, was found not guilty of Celine Cawley's murder but guilty of her manslaughter last week.

He was due to be sentenced yesterday, but Mr Justice Barry White said he needed time to consider statements delivered in court yesterday.

Lillis spent last night in jail after his sentencing hearing was adjourned.

Judge White called on the media to respect the privacy of the Cawley family, he said the case had attracted an extraordinary amount of media attention and he had observed on news reports a 'scrum' of media outside the court.

He described the behaviour as an affront to human dignity.

The judge said he was conscious that upon Lillis's release from prison he is likely to still be of interest in the media and he said he was taking that into account in imposing sentence on him.

Leave to appeal the sentence was refused.

Farrandeelin

I cannot for the life of me figure out how he 'only' got manslaughter. He should serve life imo.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

orangeman

He got off light - I know it was only manslaughter but 6 years and 11 months.

muppet

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 05, 2010, 12:17:14 PM
I cannot for the life of me figure out how he 'only' got manslaughter. He should serve life imo.

There wasn't a hope in hell of a  murder conviction and there should be questions asked as to why the state sought one.
MWWSI 2017

sammymaguire

was that a little lenient? might not exactly deter a few stressed men from the same type of behaviour  ???
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

orangeman

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 05, 2010, 05:11:11 PM
was that a little lenient? might not exactly deter a few stressed men from the same type of behaviour  ???

When he comes out he's entitled to half of the proprty etc they owned together - reputed to be worth to him €2m.

mountainboii

Noel Thompson

Eamonn Lillis

orangeman

sandwiches_in_the_boot

It was the higher end for a manslaughter charge too, with some discount for no previous etc.

The prison officer smuggling drugs, phones and razor blades in Limerick also got 7 years!

It was probably inevitable that a muder charge wouldn't be imposed given the way the evidence was developing. A good solicitor and a good yarn could confuse most juries.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Rossfan

I would have thought 10 years more appropriate ...esp as he left her and went off to hide his clothes beofre ringing the Ambulance.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

orangeman

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on February 05, 2010, 06:07:19 PM
It was the higher end for a manslaughter charge too, with some discount for no previous etc.

The prison officer smuggling drugs, phones and razor blades in Limerick also got 7 years!

It was probably inevitable that a muder charge wouldn't be imposed given the way the evidence was developing. A good solicitor and a good yarn could confuse most juries.

Very true.

When will he be out ??

AZOffaly

I'd say he'll be out in 4 years.

Question, as he serves his time, can he still handle his financial affairs from inside? If he can, then he could invest that 2 million in a bond or something, and pick it up after he gets out. Free room and board for 4 years, and 2 mil plus interest when he gets out. That would set a man up nicely for a new life in the Cayman islands or somewhere.

Capt Pat

I thought it was murder plain and simple. Can someone explain why it wasn't, either way he got a great deal off the judge.

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 05, 2010, 06:15:52 PM
I'd say he'll be out in 4 years.

Question, as he serves his time, can he still handle his financial affairs from inside? If he can, then he could invest that 2 million in a bond or something, and pick it up after he gets out. Free room and board for 4 years, and 2 mil plus interest when he gets out. That would set a man up nicely for a new life in the Cayman islands or somewhere.

Nice alright but I can't see him enjoying his time inside or the rest of his life when he gets out.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Capt Pat on February 05, 2010, 06:24:53 PM
I thought it was murder plain and simple. Can someone explain why it wasn't, either way he got a great deal off the judge.

manslaughter is basically accidental murder, less of an offense
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!