Clubs spend €30 million on managers

Started by Rossfan, February 02, 2010, 09:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celt_Man

€30 Million - sounds like an unbelievable makey-up figure... So that over € 900,000 per county on average for club managers?! Don't believe that for a second - BS
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

AbbeySider

Quote from: Maiden1 on February 04, 2010, 11:39:38 AM
Quote from: AbbeySider on February 04, 2010, 09:37:32 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 03, 2010, 06:21:56 PM
There are at least 2500 clubs (some of them with loads of teams ) so at an average €10,000 per club = €25m.
One bucko I know had a rate of   300 Ir Pounds a week back in 2001
So €380 upgraded to 2009 levels = €500 x 40 weeks = € 20,000.
It was a Tipp GAA man who uttered the  "Bullshit sensationalist shite from an Englissh Paper".
Maybe you dont like the facts getting in the way of your prejudices  ;)

There are 47 GAA clubs in Mayo. About 3-4 (max) are paying managers and bringing in help from outside their own club.

Wake up and dont believe everything you read in a rag like that.
Its nothing to do with any prejudice so dont be so sensitive.

Every club that has an outside manager is paying the manager.  Junior clubs are paying £100+ a week for managers, clubs in higher divisions who are getting a few hundred people at the gate and maybe have a club bar/social club are paying a lot more.

If you are saying there is only 3-4 clubs in Mayo with outside managers then fair enough, I doubt it though.

Below is Down division 1 for next season.  A lot of fairly well know names, it would cost the clubs a few pounds in petrol money to get these managers to training.  I could just as easily put up division 3 or 4 and most of names would be outside managers.

Mayobridge - Eamon McEnaney
Kilcoo - Jim McCorry
Bryansford - Pete McGrath
Clonduff - Paul Lambe
Burren - Frank Dawson
Longstone - Jody Gormley
Castlewellan - Liam Hardy?
An Riocht - Stephen Poucher
Liatroim - Jarlath Austin?
Rostrevor - John Rafferty

You have completely missed the point. Regardless of "outside managers" there is not many clubs in Mayo paying managers.

Dougal

outside managers arent getting paid?why are they doing it then,i find it extremely hard to believe that they arent getting paid.
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

shark

Quote from: Dougal on February 05, 2010, 01:57:02 PM
outside managers arent getting paid?why are they doing it then,i find it extremely hard to believe that they arent getting paid.

Well my club (in Westmeath) has just appointed a new, outside manager.  He won't be getting a penny, not even expenses.  He has wanted the job for years.  Not all managers are mercenaries, although I do accept plenty are.

Rossfan

Quote from: Celt_Man on February 05, 2010, 11:53:26 AM
€30 Million - sounds like an unbelievable makey-up figure... So that over € 900,000 per county on average for club managers?! Don't believe that for a second - BS

Not that unbelievable buck.
30 to 40 clubs per county @ 12500 average  ;)
Amazing how some people were f rothing at the mouth about players getting €2 or 3,000 legally ,openly and above board from the Govt yet the first reaction of many of the same to club managers getting buckets of money,illegally, is" Bullshit, crappy paper, English rag?" etc etc
We're some hypocrites in this oul Country alright  ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tomorrow is another day

I have to agree about Down football

Every "outside" manager in the first and second division that I know of is getting cash. Tax free cash.

Its so prevalent that some of these guys better watch out for the investigation some day :-)

I do not know about Div 3 or 4 but I guess the pattern is the same. All bar two clubs in Division 1 are paying.

Its the greatest shame of modern GAA and it needs to be sorted out

Celt_Man

Quote from: Rossfan on February 05, 2010, 05:57:44 PM
Quote from: Celt_Man on February 05, 2010, 11:53:26 AM

Not that unbelievable buck.
30 to 40 clubs per county @ 12500 average  ;)
Amazing how some people were f rothing at the mouth about players getting €2 or 3,000 legally ,openly and above board from the Govt yet the first reaction of many of the same to club managers getting buckets of money,illegally, is" Bullshit, crappy paper, English rag?" etc etc
We're some hypocrites in this oul Country alright  ;)

How do you come by that figure.... on average there is probably closer to only 30 to 40 clubs across the 32 counties and they aren't all paying managers...  Anyway 12,500 is another made up average figure
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

Rossfan

Whatever the actual figure it's money that could be put to a lot better use by clubs.
There was a team in the Galway Co Final a few years ago ( Milltown??) whose manager was a Dublin chap living in Dublin who travelled  probably 3 times a week for maybe 30 weeks. Legit travel in that ridiculous case nearly 400 per week and then the rest.
Madness.
One clubeen near me dispensed with all outsiders last year, got some of their own to manage and take training etc and they did as good( not very well) as they had with the mercenary imports.
At least the recession might bring this daft era to an end.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Zulu

QuoteThe most telling stat is the number of outside managers who have had success at All Ireland level with counties. Very very few.

That's not a telling stat at all, in fact it is a bogus stat that means nothing. The strongest counties like Kerry, Cork, Kilkenny (hurling, obviously) and more recently Tyrone don't need to go for outside managers. Most of the counties that go for outside managers have little chance of winning AI's, they'd be outside bets at best. In every walk of life some people excel, so it is no surprise that counties/clubs want to get those who are good coaches or managers to take their team, no more than producing excellent players, producing excellent coaches or managers isn't easy. The problem is clubs don't really vet the coaches/managers properly and end up paying some chancer a lot of money without getting the quality in return.

5 Sams

Did anybody else read the Gaelic Life today......Ciaran Woods says in an article that one club manager in Ulster has asked for £20,000 fee for the year upfront.... ::) I know what I would tell the greedy b**tard >:(
The Aristocrat Years

Canalman

Big problem now imo is club members are unwilling (understandably enough) to take on a 1st team when the previous incumbents were paid.

illdecide

I know for a fact my club do not pay any managers nor will they as they don't have it, i believe the money side of things are starting to get less and less and from what i can see around our town less and less clubs are paying managers but it still goes on alright...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

heffo

It's widespread in Dublin and I know of two clubs in Kildare also doing it.

Dinny Breen

I could probably name a dozen clubs in Kildare where the manager gets paid.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

It wouldn't take a genius to work out which clubs in Kildare either.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?