James Nallen

Started by muscles magoo, February 02, 2010, 10:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Mano on February 02, 2010, 04:27:02 PM
An excellent footballer but was like many of the recent Mayo defenders - too nice and clean on the pitch. On some occasions its better to take a yellow card with a cynical foul than prevent a goal scoring opportunity.

Very true mano, that is one criticism I have had of him over the years. He can still do the business at club level though. Claregalway will gain a lot by having him with them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FL/MAYO

Per Mid West, Heaney has also retired, both of them will play with Claregalway.

stephenite

Good luck to them, both absolute gentlemen that have represented their club, county & country with distinction.

moysider

That s it so. Maybe at last we can move on now and leave 96/97 there. Well its a new Mayo now anyway and we badly need a few lads to come along and put their hands up like Heaney and Nallen did in late teens and early 20s.
Reading some posts here I get the impression there would be more respect for them if they had the cross and maybe loosened a few teeth along the way. Thats a pity. Medals should not be the sole currency of quality. As regards hardness, neither came out second best too often or dodged a hit. It just was nt in their nature to be vicious. And they had the quality to impose themselves on the game without resorting to the darker arts. It was nt their lack of nastiness that cost us. I for one have the height of regard for how they went about their craft.

bucko

Legend, set a standard so high at CHB that it's still difficult to fill. Outstanding footballer, leader and gentleman.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: moysider on February 02, 2010, 10:09:05 PM

That s it so. Maybe at last we can move on now and leave 96/97 there. Well its a new Mayo now anyway and we badly need a few lads to come along and put their hands up like Heaney and Nallen did in late teens and early 20s.
Reading some posts here I get the impression there would be more respect for them if they had the cross and maybe loosened a few teeth along the way. Thats a pity. Medals should not be the sole currency of quality. As regards hardness, neither came out second best too often or dodged a hit. It just was nt in their nature to be vicious. And they had the quality to impose themselves on the game without resorting to the darker arts. It was nt their lack of nastiness that cost us. I for one have the height of regard for how they went about their craft.

Well said Moysider. People wouldn't be calling Nallen soft if Mayo had closed the deal in one of those All-Irelands. While Mayo could do a bit more iron in them, there's more to being a tough guy than handing out dirty belts too.

muppet

Quote from: bucko on February 02, 2010, 10:09:29 PM
Legend, set a standard so high at CHB that it's still difficult to fill. Outstanding footballer, leader and gentleman.

Worth mentioning that they both represented their country with distinction also.
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Quote from: muppet on February 02, 2010, 10:47:46 PM
Quote from: bucko on February 02, 2010, 10:09:29 PM

Worth mentioning that they both represented their country with distinction also.

Ahem

Tubberman

Two great players who showed fantastic dedication to the Green and Red - Nallen in particular, a gentleman who always gave 100%, and type of player young lads should aspire to.
There is a fair point that maybe they didn't have the cynical side to them, but that reflects worse on the way the game of football is now played, than on either player. They can hold their heads up high and enjoy their intercounty retirement and whatever club football they have left knowing they have the thanks and admiration of Mayo supporters.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

venter

Well done to both Jimmy and David Heaney on outstanding careers with Mayo. They will be missed. Both sound, down to earth sort of fella's which is always great for a squad.

Jimmy leaving our own club will be a massive loss. It really is the end of an era.

Claregalway will now have Paul Mcguinness, Jimmy and Heaney togging for them next season. Great men to have involved in any club and could imagine them doing well this year

Tubberman

Tributes to Nallen in this week's Western People. High praise from all, show's the respect he earned

Quote'Model pro' takes final bow
BY MICHAEL GALLAGHER AND ANTHONY HENNIGAN

A TRUE Mayo legend has called it a day. James Nallen who proudly wore the Green and Red on 132 occasions has called time on his inter-county career.

Revered throughout the game for his style, dedication and professionalism, the Crossmolina man created a football legacy that will never fade away.

The most capped Mayo footballer of all time, Nallen has enjoyed a career played out at the very top of his sport and his retirement brings the curtain down on an inter-county career, which yielded almost every honour in the game.

Six Connacht titles, a national league crown, four All-Ireland final appearances also saw the centre half-back singled out as an All-Star and an Irish international. Nallen was a unique talent and as the news of his retirement spread last evening (Monday), tributes came flowing in.

Confirming the news, Mayo manager, John O'Mahony was loud in his praise for the athletic defender. "I would like to pay tribute to James for his wonderful service to Mayo football over the years. He was a role-model for everyone involved in sport, a real gentleman and a fantastic footballer," he told the Western People.

"Two years ago he came into the panel after the league and ended up being our best player against Tyrone in the All-Ireland quarter-final in Croke Park.

"Last year he didn't have any game time but he was an inspiration in the dressingroom and he will be missed," O'Mahony added.

Those sentiments were echoed by Mayo under-21 manager, Ray Dempsey who lined out with Nallen in the 1996 All-Ireland final.

"It was an honour to play with James. We soldiered together for a time and he was a gentleman both on and off the pitch. There were no airs or graces about James Nallen. He never failed to turn out for both club and county and that says a lot about him. He might have been one of the best players in the country but he never forgot where he learned his skills.

"He was an outstanding athlete and that stood to him on the pitch. He's an example to any young player looking to make an impression in the game and I hope he enjoys every minute of his retirement; he deserves to," the former Mayo attacker added.

As recent as last December, the Irish Independent named James Nallen at centreback on Connacht football's Team of the Decade.

"(James) Nallen was a model professional in every respect and not just for his amazing longevity and dependability," wrote Cliona Foley.

Another man who wore the Green and Red with Nallen was two-time All-Star and Western People columnist, James Horan.

"James was the greatest servant Mayo football has ever had. He was a model of professionalism and anyone who ever shared a football pitch with him couldn't say a bad word about him.

"He played football the right way, hard, clean and fair and for many years was the best centre half-back in the country by a long way. He was a proper athlete and we were lucky to have him on our side."

One of Nallen's greatest days occurred with his club when Crossmolina were crowned 2001 All-Ireland club champions. Manager of that team, Thomas Jordan, last night lamented the news of the retirement, referring to his good friend as an "institution".

"I'm disappointed to hear the news but I suppose all good things must come to an end. He has always been a gentleman to work with and has been an example to all around him both on and off the pitch.

"He would never ask questions, whatever job he was given. He was never bothered about what position he might be asked play or about how it might hinder his own game. He was always about the team and what he could do for the team. It's a trait a lot of players don't have these days," he continued.

"Since the first day he played for Crossmolina and later Mayo, his committment was total. Anyone who has seen him play will recognise how he looked after himself physically. His preparation was always second to none and he did most of the hard physical work himself meaning that when he arrived for training, he was able concentrate almost fully on playing football," explained Jordan.

"He has simply been a fantastic servant to our club and to Mayo football, an example to any young footballer," he added.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

orangeman

I must say I really liked Heaney  - gave all he had to Mayo for a long period.

Both for Claregalway where they'll no doubt enjoy the autumn of their careers.

Lar Naparka

I always had the height of respect for Jimmy Nallen's sportsmanship but I never considered him to be a soft touch for anyone. I doubt if he ever let anyone push him about.
During a game under lights in Parnell Park a few years ago, Jimmy was coming out of defence with the ball when he got an unmerciful clatter from Ciaran Whelan. Strong man that he is, Nallen shook off the tackle and retained possession. He carried on until he decided to pass the ball and then, and only then; he turned about and walked back to Whelan. He didn't run or wave his fist or do anything out of character. It was just a calm, measured type of walk, if you know what I mean. I knew although that he didn't intend to ask Whelan where they might meet up for a few pints after the game.
Whelan had figured that out as well and as Nallen came close, he scarpered well out of range.
He stayed well clear of Nallen for the remainder of the game.
I doubt that James Nallen ever tried to deliberately injure an opponent but I can't recall him ever backing away from anyone who did. I'd rate him alongside John Morley in this and every other positive regard and that's the highest compliment I can pay to anyone.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 03, 2010, 01:40:02 PM
I always had the height of respect for Jimmy Nallen's sportsmanship but I never considered him to be a soft touch for anyone. I doubt if he ever let anyone push him about.
During a game under lights in Parnell Park a few years ago, Jimmy was coming out of defence with the ball when he got an unmerciful clatter from Ciaran Whelan. Strong man that he is, Nallen shook off the tackle and retained possession. He carried on until he decided to pass the ball and then, and only then; he turned about and walked back to Whelan. He didn't run or wave his fist or do anything out of character. It was just a calm, measured type of walk, if you know what I mean. I knew although that he didn't intend to ask Whelan where they might meet up for a few pints after the game.
Whelan had figured that out as well and as Nallen came close, he scarpered well out of range.
He stayed well clear of Nallen for the remainder of the game.
I doubt that James Nallen ever tried to deliberately injure an opponent but I can't recall him ever backing away from anyone who did. I'd rate him alongside John Morley in this and every other positive regard and that's the highest compliment I can pay to anyone.

Well said Lar. The Morley comparision is praise indeed.

magpie seanie

I had and have great admiration for him as a player. Did more than most to end Mayo's wait for Sam.