Mayo v Galway NFL Division 1. 7/2/2010

Started by Farrandeelin, January 31, 2010, 05:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

I've the same issue with AOS, the bust themselves chasin a lad down, fund themselves back at the half back line & then can't make the big burst up the field again. I think the manager needs to talk to both about using their energy wisely. I think what it is is that they want to do it all themselves, not selfishly but in earnest but u can't be both the lad who kicks it in & the lad who cathes it & the lad who defends.
Having said that I'm big fans of both, esp AOS, I think I'd we ever win an AI it'll be him that leads us, reminds me of the Bomber Brogan
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

mckieran

QuoteBradshaw probably should be mid-field for Galway. They need his engine and work rate around there. Surprised at Bergan being so quiet.

Bradshaw is not physically tall enough for inter county midfield. The same applies for Blake (He was tried there by Forde a few years back)

mouview

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 08, 2010, 10:48:02 AM
One for the Galway lads, where was matt Clancy yesterday, AI winner, played in the FBD, only 27, should be coming into his prime now

Are you taking the p**s?

Of all the players unavailable to Kernan yesterday, only PJ imho would have made a tangible difference. There'd be a scatter of the Corofin backs there someplace too but if you put them altogther they'd just about make one good player between them. The only saving grace about yesterday was that it came at the beginning of the year when there's still enough time to rectify *some* of the ills. Gary O Donnell can scarcely lift Tuam, not to mind Galway; Niall Coyne isn't good enough. Michael Martin won't push himself to get on his college's team, Enda Concannon a better bet at the moment. At last we should have a Galway manager that will see Bergin's chronic lack of footballling ability. Our best half-back, Bradshaw, should be played there. Donal who corner-back? Paddy who wing-forward? If things don't improve it could be a very short year for Kernan, but more particularly for his 2 unconvincing selectors. Alan Mulholland's U-21s have suddenly taken on much greater significance.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

macdanger2

All of a sudden there's savage optimism!!!!

Great win, but Galway are surely putting in the hard work now that will pay off in the summer, there's no way they could be that poor otherwise.

Our backline needs sorting out in a big way - I think all 6 of our backs had a shot at the posts yesterday!! FFS, who is minding the house if everyone is up attacking?? Shows a lack of discipline IMO. The back three in particular should know that their job is to defend first at all costs and play football second. We won't win much with that kind of play, nice and all as it may be to watch. In all honesty, would Galvin or Dec O'Sull be afraid to see any of the Mayo back 8 coming flying at him as he was going to take a pass?? Lack of physicality will cost us - only Howley has any sort of agression about him.

The next match will be very interesting, Tyrone will need to win after losing the opener so it should be a good test.

mouview

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on February 08, 2010, 08:06:43 PM
So u don't rate Clancy?

'Fraid not; smashing honest lad, but very limited. Head down in possession and usually cedes the ball when closed down. Has had his good moments but is very much part of the general malaise affecting football in Galway at present.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: macdanger2 on February 08, 2010, 10:56:53 PM

Great win, but Galway are surely putting in the hard work now that will pay off in the summer, there's no way they could be that poor otherwise.

Our backline needs sorting out in a big way - I think all 6 of our backs had a shot at the posts yesterday!! FFS, who is minding the house if everyone is up attacking?? Shows a lack of discipline IMO. The back three in particular should know that their job is to defend first at all costs and play football second. We won't win much with that kind of play, nice and all as it may be to watch. In all honesty, would Galvin or Dec O'Sull be afraid to see any of the Mayo back 8 coming flying at him as he was going to take a pass?? Lack of physicality will cost us - only Howley has any sort of agression about him.

The next match will be very interesting, Tyrone will need to win after losing the opener so it should be a good test.

Ya while Vaughan was excellent and Peader good, both are very attacking players, McLoughlin flying up the wing too, we could be very exposed, but McLoughlin was flippen brilliant. I think we need to give Alan Feeney a shot at full back the next day, even for the second half, thats not saying anything negative about Cafferkey but Mayo need to build a panel. A great team needs a second team good enough to beat the first. Thats how Kerry and Tyrone prospered and how Cork is heading in the right direction. I think Neil Douglas needs to be tried out too and Barry Kelly would be worth a shot.

I for one questioned others fear of Galway prior to this match. I could not understant why people rated us so lowly, I also have wondered how the media had us second favourates to get demoted.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Question to the Galway lads & I suppose the other Mayo lads at the match, what did ye reckon of Gary O'Donnell, I thought he was poor. But reading the media reports today it seems I was wrong, I don't think so, but then again I would always be very sceptical at my talent on knowing sporting talent.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Lar Naparka

Arrah, I wouldn't say that, not in my case anyhow.
I'd liked what I saw but it's a case of taking one game at a time.
It was a solid start to the season and all the newcomers and those who have been on the fringe acquitted themselves well. Some may or not make the grade when summer comes but if they had been plonkers last Sunday, there would only be one answer to that question.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

God knows what Galway are up to. Or Kildare either? McGeeney and BJ could well be putting their teams through the same science this time of year with a Summer peak in mind. Johnno admitted resting his squad mainly last week.  It ll be interesting to see how it all evolves. Mayo need a different approach to fitness this year as we plateaued around June and didnt push on when things got serious. Have we got the know-how to do this.
Galway will be a much sterner proposition with the return of likes Damien Burke, Blake,Sice  Mullaghy and PJ. Even the much maligned Mattie Clancy.Even among the carnage yesterday I was impressed with O Neill at CB. Ok Varley did well but on the back foot O Neill was pacy and game and knew what he was at.
You re spot on about the Mayo backline. Management will have to make hard calls here. I honestly believe that we have the personnel to do it. It was suggested to me earlier that K Higgins would be a better option at 6. I must say it had nt occured to me but mo dhuine
pointed out he is a better stopper/tackler than Howley while both are short on size anyway. Howley is a hit or miss stopper with a reliance on the shoulder. Howley on the other hand would improve us physically on the wing where he could go toe to toe with likes of Galvin. My preferred 6 would of course be Cafferkey. As regards our backs attacking. I would have no problem with it - as long as it s structured and our ball retention is good enough. Tyrone have been a success with a fluid game where defenders attack and forwards cover back. Look at the contributions of likes of Davy Harte and Philip Jordan and even Ricey from cb to the Tyrone scoresheets. The last day at half time 3 Mayo backs had scored( McL X2), Gard and Vaughan. Both midfielders also. Of the forwards Andy Moran scored 2 from play. Ronaldson scored the rest from frees. Those stats would suggest that we had a successful running game going. Balls kicked in to targets yielded little. Yesterday we managed to run through the packed middle third. But we know we can go route one as well.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2010, 11:14:25 PM
Question to the Galway lads & I suppose the other Mayo lads at the match, what did ye reckon of Gary O'Donnell, I thought he was poor. But reading the media reports today it seems I was wrong, I don't think so, but then again I would always be very sceptical at my talent on knowing sporting talent.

I didn't see the game yesterday but can't say I've been impressed anytime I've seen him. Seems to be filling a place in the wider squad at the moment. Played centre-back yesterday but certainly won't be threatening Diarmuid Blake's position come the Summer I would imagine. He's actually from Gort which is smack in the middle of hurling territory in Galway but transferred to Tuam Stars as they don't take football too seriously in Gort. Just a way to stay fit for hurling.

Certainly come the championship we will need PJ, Blake, Bane, Mattie Clancy and the Corofin lads back (Damien Burke, Kieran Fitz, Gary Sice, Alan Burke and Greg Higgins). I wasn't sure how many of the Corofin lads would make the team come the Summer but certainly 3 or 4 of them have a chance but hard to tell really as they will be coming in late and nobody knows yet what Kernan has planned as far as putting a team together. The above lads will improve matters alright but only one of them is a midfielder (Higgins). He was arguably the best midfielder in the county championship and had a great game against Charlestown in the Connacht final but whether he has what it takes for intercounty I just don't know. Through a process of elimination he probably deserves a shot anyway.

galwayman

QuoteQuestion to the Galway lads & I suppose the other Mayo lads at the match, what did ye reckon of Gary O'Donnell, I thought he was poor. But reading the media reports today it seems I was wrong, I don't think so, but then again I would always be very sceptical at my talent on knowing sporting talent.

I thought he was poor. The amount of times in the 2nd half he gave away stupid frees with a blatant push in the back wasn't even funny. He is not county standard by a long way.

moysider

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on February 08, 2010, 11:14:25 PM

Not impressed by him. Thought he was carrying a bit of timber/or just too big and lacked a bit of cut. My only qualification on SOS s display is that he will meet meaner no 6 s. That s if he s persisted with at 11 long term.

spuds

not be to carried away yet lads keepit inthe pants til we beat a fewmore teams if we do get consistant
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

mckieran

QuoteCertainly come the championship we will need PJ, Blake, Bane, Mattie Clancy and the Corofin lads back (Damien Burke, Kieran Fitz, Gary Sice, Alan Burke and Greg Higgins). I wasn't sure how many of the Corofin lads would make the team come the Summer but certainly 3 or 4 of them have a chance but hard to tell really as they will be coming in late and nobody knows yet what Kernan has planned as far as putting a team together. The above lads will improve matters alright but only one of them is a midfielder (Higgins). He was arguably the best midfielder in the county championship and had a great game against Charlestown in the Connacht final but whether he has what it takes for intercounty I just don't know. Through a process of elimination he probably deserves a shot anyway.

Gotta agree about Higgins. He needs to be looked at in a few games.  A better option than Lydon or O'Donnell at midfield I think.

I havent been impressed with O'Donnell either. Strange that he got games under Sammon and now Kernan though. He must have something...

Mayo lads are being a bit harsh on the backs here. Galways forwards dropped so deep that they had no option but to follow them up the field. O'Mahony admitted this in an interview afterwards as well.