Meath v Armagh - Sat 6th February

Started by Shortso79, January 30, 2010, 10:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shortso79

Whats everybodys team predictions ?

Will Hearty retain the goalkeeping spot ?

Will Kieran Toner move to midfield and Donaghy move to full back ?

Both teams will be looking for a good start to the campaign

Meath pushed Armagh all the way in Cross last year.

Looking forward to the game and will be making the trip down - have to get use of these season tickets lol

BTW - Setanta are covering the match live.

ardmhachaabu

McEvoy
Mallon
Toner
Donaghy
A Kernan
McKeever
Duffy
Vernon
Lavery
B Mallon/J Clarke
Swift
T Kernan
McDonnell
Clarke
Forker

Back line is solid as any. I realise midfield is weak though I think Toner is best at fullback, I have seen him in action a few times in that position and have been impressed every time.   Otherwise, T Kernan can kick frees, J Clarke can take his scores, Swift can catch and field as well as take long range points.  I have included Forker as I think he deserves to line out in the league to show us what he can do in an orange jersey as he did alright in a UUJ one against us, Mc Donnell and Clarke are self-explanatory
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

thejuice

I would say ours will be something like this

1.Brendan Murphy/Paddy O'Rourke/David Lyons

2. Davey Dalton
3. James Macken
4. Eoghan Harrington

5. Cormac McGuinness
6. Barry Regan
7. Gary O'Brien

8. Brian Meade
9. Mark Ward

10. Peader Byrne
11. Seamus Kenny
12. Ollie Lewis

13. David Bray
14. Jamie Queeny
15. Cian Ward

With Stephen Bray, Niall McKeigue, Stephen Kennedy, Sthephen Sheridan, Graham Reilly and others to come off the bench. Nigel Crawford might be available too.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Throw ball

Ardmhachaabu. Not a bad team there although I would be worried about McKeevers fitness at the minute and would keep Donaghy a CHB because of this. We could then bring in another back. P Kernan would be my favourite here as I would like to see if he is up to it - although would not be disappointed to see Shannon there. Up front I do not thing J Clarke is available and thing B Mallon is out of form. I am stuck as to who I would like to see play in the half forward line instead. Could see Mackin being given another chance.
I would like to see McKeever and McKenna getting a run out from the bench.

Benny Barnaveld

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on January 30, 2010, 10:17:59 AM
McEvoy
Mallon
Toner
Donaghy
A Kernan
McKeever
Duffy
Vernon
Lavery
B Mallon/J Clarke
Swift
T Kernan
McDonnell
Clarke
Forker

Back line is solid as any. I realise midfield is weak though I think Toner is best at fullback, I have seen him in action a few times in that position and have been impressed every time.   Otherwise, T Kernan can kick frees, J Clarke can take his scores, Swift can catch and field as well as take long range points.  I have included Forker as I think he deserves to line out in the league to show us what he can do in an orange jersey as he did alright in a UUJ one against us, Mc Donnell and Clarke are self-explanatory

Very very good selection in my opinion.

I agree on Toner at full back but I think midfield is so poor that we can't spare him.

McEvoy

Mallon
Donaghy
P.Kernan

Vernon/Duffy
McKeever
A.Kernan

McKenna/Mackin
Toner

J.Clarke
Swift
T.Kernan

McDonnell
Clarke
Forker

Benny Barnaveld

Oh! Almost forgot Austin.
He definately has to be in there somewhere, maybe to partner Toner

TacadoirArdMhacha

Would like to see;

McEvoy (only really on the basis that himself and Hearty should rotate for the McKenna Cup and league and its McEvoy's turn)

A Mallon
K Toner
P Kernan

B Donaghy
C McKeever
K Dyas

J Lavery
C Vernon

R Austin
A Kernan
J Clarke

S McDonnell
R Clarke
S Forker

I think its worth trying Toner at full back but you have to also consider the effect it'll have on Donaghy who did so well last year. If he settles well in the half back line I think it could be a positive change. Aaron Kernan in the forwards is worth a look for 3 / 4 matches in the NFL I feel.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

mountainboii

Aye, doubt Jamie Clarke will be available as he'll be lining out in this:

Quote from: drici on January 30, 2010, 03:06:07 PM
First Round:
Sun 24th January: Naomh Conaill (Donegal) 1-08 Foreglen (Derry) 0-10

Sat 30th January: Truagh Gaels (Monaghan) V Omagh St. Endas (Tyrone)

Sun 31st January: Kickhams Creggan (Antrim) V Burren(Down) 

Sat 6th February: Belturbet (Cavan) V Crossmaglen Rangers

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: AFS on January 30, 2010, 06:39:46 PM
Aye, doubt Jamie Clarke will be available as he'll be lining out in this:

Quote from: drici on January 30, 2010, 03:06:07 PM
First Round:
Sun 24th January: Naomh Conaill (Donegal) 1-08 Foreglen (Derry) 0-10

Sat 30th January: Truagh Gaels (Monaghan) V Omagh St. Endas (Tyrone)

Sun 31st January: Kickhams Creggan (Antrim) V Burren(Down) 

Sat 6th February: Belturbet (Cavan) V Crossmaglen Rangers

Good point, I wasn't sure whether to include him or nor because of his other commitments but erred on the side of caution, I will have B Mallon in his place then ;)
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Carbery

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 30, 2010, 05:44:15 PM
Would like to see;

McEvoy (only really on the basis that himself and Hearty should rotate for the McKenna Cup and league and its McEvoy's turn)

A Mallon
K Toner
P Kernan

B Donaghy
C McKeever
K Dyas

J Lavery
C Vernon

R Austin
A Kernan
J Clarke

S McDonnell
R Clarke
S Forker

I think its worth trying Toner at full back but you have to also consider the effect it'll have on Donaghy who did so well last year. If he settles well in the half back line I think it could be a positive change. Aaron Kernan in the forwards is worth a look for 3 / 4 matches in the NFL I feel.

Is young Moriarty from the Lurgan area not available to play?

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Carbery on January 30, 2010, 08:57:05 PM

Is young Moriarty from the Lurgan area not available to play?

Yep he's available - took part in 2 or 3 McKenna cup games.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Benny Barnaveld

I kinda think that full back and centre half back are not positions that want to be tampered with, once the right persons are found. I think O'Rourke should pick his numbers 3 and 6 early and have a good understanding through the end of the league and into championshp. By all means he should have alternatives to cover injuries etc

mackers

Always thought that Toner was a better FB than midfielder and the last few weeks have backed that up, what about a FB line of A Mallon, K Toner and B Donaghy? McEvoy is well ahead of Hearty in goals for me. HB line of P Duffy, C McKeever and AK.
Midfield continues to be a disaster zone. For the Meath game I would play Lavery as we have been wiped out aerially in Navan on the last two visits which has resulted in us getting a couple of complete stuffings. I'd play Ronan Austin alongside him to see a bit more of what he's made of. If he can cope with the Meath midfield challenge he may get an extended run.
The HF problem is similar to the midfield one, I'd try Swift, Mackin and Dyas for a bit of physicality and a chance of a long range point or two (pity that J Clarke is unavailable).
FF line of Stevie, Clarke and Forker and hope they get some decent service. Would be nice to give Meath a match in Navan for a change.
What's the story with David McKenna, someone I had high hopes for? Is it a commitment problem or injury?
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Benny Barnaveld

Quote from: mackers on January 31, 2010, 02:03:45 PM
Always thought that Toner was a better FB than midfielder and the last few weeks have backed that up, what about a FB line of A Mallon, K Toner and B Donaghy? McEvoy is well ahead of Hearty in goals for me. HB line of P Duffy, C McKeever and AK.
Midfield continues to be a disaster zone. For the Meath game I would play Lavery as we have been wiped out aerially in Navan on the last two visits which has resulted in us getting a couple of complete stuffings. I'd play Ronan Austin alongside him to see a bit more of what he's made of. If he can cope with the Meath midfield challenge he may get an extended run.
The HF problem is similar to the midfield one, I'd try Swift, Mackin and Dyas for a bit of physicality and a chance of a long range point or two (pity that J Clarke is unavailable).
FF line of Stevie, Clarke and Forker and hope they get some decent service. Would be nice to give Meath a match in Navan for a change.
What's the story with David McKenna, someone I had high hopes for? Is it a commitment problem or injury?

I would agree that Toner is a better full back. But I would still rather see him in midfield before Lavery.
If we had a decent midfield then I like you Mallon, Toner, Donaghy sounds good
Lavery has played 3 games in midfield recently and we have been wiped out by inferior outfits to Meath!
Swiift has had a good year and would like to see him get a chance.
McKenna I think is almost over a long running injury, I think we are ll hopefull he can come on and do good things for the county

mountainboii

Would have slight reservations about Donaghy at CB. The poorest performances I've seen him give all seem to have come from that position: U21s v Cork 2007, Championship v Derry 2007, Railway Cup v Leinster 2009. I suppose he's improved a lot since 2007, and the Railway Cup game could just have been a blip, but I'd still harbour a few doubts. I reckon he'll end up somewhere in the HB line eventually.