Broadband problem

Started by Minder, January 29, 2010, 08:54:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

As the search function isn't working to find the "Computer help" thread I started this thread.

I got a new BT homehub from BT this week as part of a new deal with them. The signal keeps dropping and I get the "Internet cannot display the webpage", when I check the Intel Pro Set/ Wireless balloon it says "Authentication process to connect to the network hasn't been started". Anyone any ideas? I have put the wireless key etc in the other day. I haven't the heart to do battle with BT tonight.

Edit - Last night for a while I wasn't getting the "Authentication process etc etc etc", it was saying I was connected and things were going fine.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

armaghniac

Connect directly to the hub with a cable and see if that works. If that works it is a wireless problem. If that does not work then it is related to the connection to the Internet itself.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Minder

Quote from: armaghniac on January 29, 2010, 08:58:37 PM
Connect directly to the hub with a cable and see if that works. If that works it is a wireless problem. If that does not work then it is related to the connection to the Internet itself.

I will try that now, the connection should be ok as it was a BT router I had for three years and never had a bit of bother.

Minder

It works with the cable but not without. Still says "Authentication process to connect to the network hasn't been started".

Mhic Easmuint

You could try updating the driver for your Wireless Device.

Minder

I have been on the phone to BT and Mike in Mumbai there for 20 mins and whatever he did worked. Cheers anyway and hopefully it stays working.

Hardy

Mike is a topper all right.

ziggysego

I've a BT Hub for nearly a year now and not a bother from it. However this last week, it has been a nightmare. The broadband keeps crashing!  >:(
Testing Accessibility

take_yer_points

I have an Internet problem as well that maybe someone could help with.

I have a cable modem (virgin media) connected to a belkin router. Every once in a while the wireless connection will drop and I lose connectivity to the router. The way I fix it is to restart the router by taking the power cable out for a few seconds and putting it back in. When this happens I don't need to restart the modem- only the router. Also, connecting via Ethernet still works when this happens- it only seems to be a wireless problem. 

Has anyone heard of this before? Any ideas how I could fix it?

JimStynes

I had loads of trouble with the broadband over xmas and during the bad weather. Got BT to come out and check my phone like etc. They fucked about doing different tests for a few weeks then we got a text through saying the problem had been fixed. Dont know what the problem was but my internet is flying now.

Minder

Mine is fucked again so Dave in Delhi has to ring me back in an hour.

Hardy

Dave - no, no, no. Ask for Mike.